Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Educate me on BOV vs BPV

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RedVN 
I've owned 3 Hyundais and none of them have used a MAF sensor. On the VN in particular all the sensors that handle air flow metering are on the manifold or after the BOV, so you can vent to atmosphere safely. Basically, the computer doesn't know how much air is entering the system until it gets to the intake manifold, so anything you do to it prior to that point is fine. Hell, you could pull the cold pipe off the intercooler and the car would probably still run fine, just with much less power due to no boost.

I put a Sxth AV6 on my car a couple thousand miles ago and I've had zero issues. I love the sound of it but it's very sedate and polite by aftermarket standards which is what I wanted. If you want loud, look for one with a trumpet on the air outlet.

As for benefits/drawbacks, there really are none. It's a purely "cosmetic" modification in the sense that it's just there for your entertainment. It neither helps nor harms performance.

I reread the engine fuel/emission portion of the repair manual and see 2 MAP sensors listed but no MAF. Where did you find out the VN has a MAF sensor?
I think he made a typo. Also, you can confirm for yourself that there is no MAF: There are a total of zero sensors on the turbo inlet and they're always placed before the turbo due to their sensitivity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.