Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were looking for fun straight line power, the Veloster N might not be any better than the Civic Type R. However there is hope for brands like SFR to come around like they have with Hyundai products before this. What increases of power would you guys want?

Despite a 2.0-liter twin-scroll turbo that cranks 275 hp with the Performance Pack – a 250-hp version will be standard – the Veloster N is never exceedingly quick or fast, but it does tap into usable, fun performance. The exclusive transmission is a six-speed manual, another nod to enthusiasts, though an "eight-speed" CVT is in the works down the line. Hyundai says the six-speed model can hit 62 mph in 6.1 seconds using the Veloster N’s launch control feature – yep, it’s got one – and we can assume 5.9 or 6.0 seconds to 60 as a fair estimate on the 19-inch P-Zeros, though it may vary slightly on the standard 18-inch Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think 250hp from factory is plenty, and I'll bet that this model will be a fair bit cheaper that the CTR. Aftermarket has been pretty slow for newer Hyundai models however, so that could be a bit of an obstacle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can go either direction.

Some tuning brands like Hennessey take random aims, sometimes at new vehicles like this. So we might not just get a tune but entire packages that increase performance in all areas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I personally wouldn't be making any changes to the ECU until it can be accompanied with other aftermarket upgrades. Asking more from the engine without increasing how well it breathes/cools is going to result in quicker wear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of us will just have to go without certain supportive mods like intakes and exhausts while parts makers catch up, I don't mind the wait.

Actually this will make experiencing each mod more rewarding since its not all at once!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
127 Posts
I wouldn't re-flash the ECU just utilize a piggyback tuner. I'm working with DTUK in the UK for one for the I30N already. May have it at the end of next week or sometime during the following week. We are discussing it via text right now. This will be with the Power Pedal Plus and IOS controller apps.

Be careful with ODBII Chip tuners. Most are simply junk and do nothing but take your money. They been proven to be unless time and time again. Performance chip tuning is one of those companies. They don't work. You either re-flash the ECU or utilize a reputable piggyback tuner.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those numbers should be better for a 275hp car ?!?
The 09 Cobalt SS Turbo was doing 5.5 to 5.7sec 164mph for 260/260

They should have stuck with a 18in tire not only cheaper more selection, Also there is no difference in tire foot print between 18-19in

·
Registered
4 Posts
It can go either direction.

Some tuning brands like Hennessey take random aims, sometimes at new vehicles like this. So we might not just get a tune but entire packages that increase performance in all areas.
Can only go so far in performance with FWD.. I doubt Hennessy will spend much time if any developing for this car..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lol @sfr. Those bumbling baboons are still around? Thats a big ole no thanks from me.

Btr has been making some decent numbers with the VN already. See dyno below. As far as I know the VN that made this was stock.

Just like the gencows and sonata/optima's the powerband has the nice flat-ish hp line with torque falling on its face after 4.5k rpm. A turbo upgrade or at least billet wheel upgrades would help with the powerband otherwise theres not much you can do about that. According to sam at BTR they fully intend to develop a stage 3 kit for the VN as well. (For btr stage 3 is a bigger turbo)

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Btr has been making some decent numbers with the VN already. See dyno below. As far as I know the VN that made this was stock.
BTR was my first tune with my 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT & the support was awful! So bad that SXTH element engineering stepped in & assisted me with my tune. BTR does not have my support regardless of "Number's".

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTR was my first tune with my 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT & the support was awful! So bad that SXTH element engineering stepped in & assisted me with my tune. BTR does not have my support regardless of "Number's".
That sucks to hear. I wonder if it was different for the Veloster platform because for the Gencow crowd they were the best available and by far the most used, great support, very few issues and when there was one it was usually handled personally by Sam the owner. Wether it was just less support for the veloster platform or just your case, still shitty either way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BTR has no tunes for the Veloster N. Try the JB4 Tuner. Some Veloster N and i30N owners are seeing well over 300 whp with it. One member has nothing but an intake and JB4 and is over 304 whp.

Veloster N isn't a straight line performer, it's a track car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As with most new cars, aftermarket takes a little while for development. Out of curiosity, what is available tune wise that is legit? So far I don't see the need since I am a "corner carver" man myself. I am more interested in lighter, wider wheels for track. However, right know this thing grips and keeps on gripping.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is no ECU re-flashes available for the N. However there are several piggyback tuners available for the N. DTUK, JB4, RaceChips, Lap3. Out of these I pick the JB4 or the DTUK RaceChips. Both Race Chips and DTUK have a power pedal available also o go along with the tuner.

Keep in mind; that Hyundai have flash counters in their ECU's. So if you re-flash, you'll get caught and as we already know this is not permitted IAW Hyundai's warranty. https://www.velostern.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/387-track-usage-modification.html#post3053

Pay special attention to what Hyundai allows and doesn't.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts