Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someday soon that first snow or ice storm will come. Thankfully, I got my all-weather tires on the VN.

Any tips on how to drive the VN when that first snow arrives?

I assume to stay completely off N mode.

Should I go into Eco mode?

Thanks,
- Joe

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am one of the frozen chosen who live in the real north. It's been -20c here overnight for two weeks already. I daily the VN. I have snow tires on all 4 wheels and downsized to 18's for winter.

I drive in Eco on days where it is actively snowing, or the day following a snowfall when the snow is wet, or on any virgin snow. I accelerate from a stop with extreme care, the car almost always wants to slide to the right from a full stop. A day or two after the snow when everything is packed down I am back in N-mode and the car loves the packed snow. It's only when the snow is fresh and wet that its an issue. The car is significantly better at handling -10c and below than it is between +5c and -10c, that's kind of the shitty zone for this car.

Obviously the normal FWD rules for snow apply, don't let your front wheels slide or spin, once they do you've already lost control. Don't be a hero at uncontrolled intersections, this car does not get off the line well in winter and you'll need two or three times your normal 1st gear acceleration time to avoid spin. Stopping isn't bad and the ABS is fairly effective, I've stopped no problem when other cars slide through stops, BUT don't take it for granted and slow to a stop early.

I don't know if you live in Canada or the US but if Canada then the heated steering wheel is amazing. I don't even store gloves in the car anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts