Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is weird. I've had the car for 300 miles, and both the Drive Mode and N Mode buttons sometimes just don't register the button press, I.e. don't change the mode. I haven't been able to pinpoint when it happens, or a specific way that pressing the button works less or more reliably than other ways. When it does happen I just keep pressing it and eventually it works. Then it might not work again for one or more button presses next time, on the same drive, in the same minute.

Am I alone in this? Is this a known issue, and is there a way to get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried pressing on the outer edge, middle... Doesn't seem to have a pattern to it. Sometimes it just refuses to register for a few presses (or is it seconds? Who knows!). Weird stuff.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yea mine always will once I hit the right place. If I dont hit the right part it doesnt even push in. So if I was u I'd let the dealer know. Maybe something loose or bad connection

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the inner edges towards the horn don't actuate, but that's not my issue. I'll have to talk to the dealer, although I'm trained to expect nothing to come of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yea I've been having a shifting problem and I've been shrugged off 3 times. I'm going today to let my stepdad who is a mechanic drive and see what he thinks. The service dept keeps saying it because I dont know how to drive a manual. Im 40 yrs old and every car I've owned has been a manual. Lmaooo

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A fellow Reddit user confirmed my suspicion after a bit more driving:

You need to press at the left hand side of the drive mode button and the right hand side of the N button. The buttons/switches underneath are near the outer edges of the buttons themselves. Pressing toward the center of the steering wheel won't do anything and pressing in the center of the buttons will be hit and miss as you have seen. You can feel this, go try it.
I've watched so many reviews and not one of them mentioned the buttons only work consistently if you press them on the very outer edge. Huge buttons, only the outer edge works. I'm baffled by that design decision, but I'm happy to find out how to reliably get them to work at least.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every time I think I have the spot or way to press the button down, I'm eventually foiled by the car just ignoring half my button presses seemingly at random. This is quite frustrating. If anyone has managed to nail down the idiosyncracies of those two buttons, or got them fixed by a dealer, I would love to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, I got fed up and finally called. I had to skip the nearest dealership because their service department has abysmal ratings, and call the next one over whose service department seems universally liked. They'll check the car next Tuesday morning, and if they decide the part needs changing, they'll order it and I'll have to bring the car back to get it installed. They said they can't pre-order the part. They put inspection around 1h30m and part replacement around 2h30m, vaguely, for now. That sounds too long for me to verify a switch only works 50% of the time, as well as to replace a couple of switches on the steering wheel, but it is what it is. I want it fixed.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yeah, I got fed up and finally called. I had to skip the nearest dealership because their service department has abysmal ratings, and call the next one over whose service department seems universally liked. They'll check the car next Tuesday morning, and if they decide the part needs changing, they'll order it and I'll have to bring the car back to get it installed. They said they can't pre-order the part. They put inspection around 1h30m and part replacement around 2h30m, vaguely, for now. That sounds too long for me to verify a switch only works 50% of the time, as well as to replace a couple of switches on the steering wheel, but it is what it is. I want it fixed.
2.5 hours to remove the steering wheel and replace the button? It is far too long for such a process.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2.5 hours to remove the steering wheel and replace the button? It is far too long for such a process.
I know. I had my Miata's steering wheel replaced with an aftermarket one by a local dealership's service department. They promised one hour start to finish, and that's exactly how long it took them, including carrying over the buttons and airbag from one steering wheel core to the other. Others claim to have been able to do the swap in half an hour once they've done it once or twice. I don't see why it would take this dealership 2 and a half hours. I'll ask more about that estimate once I'm there, but I didn't feel like raising an issue with the super polite person helping me on the phone today.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They confirmed the issue and ordered new switches to be installed at a later date. They said the wheel needs to come off to replace the switches so it'll take them a bunch of hours, but since it's all warranty work I don't really care how long it takes.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the half hour drive home from the dealership, looks like the issue is resolved!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I celebrated prematurely. Problem is still there. Sigh. Now what? If it's not the buttons, what could it be?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Possibly the switch wire connections or switch modules. Also, ask them to reflash the OEM Software. There maybe an error with the original software upload. It might There's a possibility the Clock Spring Assembly has an intermittent contact issue with one or both buttons but again this is a guess.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At this point, given that the dealership is half an hour away and I can't readily catch a drive home without my partner coming with me in her car and taking time off work to do that, I'm almost resigned to just living with it... But I'll give them a call and mention what you suggested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts