Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Welcome to America too, Dave. I have my own opinions on this politically correct stuff but I am just going to keep it to myself as to not to get sensitive people upset.

Listen, if I ever want a member to drill the rotors, you got the job. :) Have a great day and stay safe.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: MikeMr305

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to America too, Dave. I have my own opinions on this politically correct stuff but I am just going to keep it to myself as to not to get sensitive people upset.

Listen, if I ever want a member to drill the rotors, you got the job. :) Have a great day and stay safe.

Best regards,

-Mike
Um... I"m still going to pass... This is what would eventually happen... It happens on factory drilled ones as well, but usually not as badly.

-Sam

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
I agree too Sam. I am not going to do this either. Our factory pads have a groove in them to release any gasses anyway. The factory brakes stop GREAT. Really no need to upgrade them but would love a set of pads that create LESS brake dust.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree too Sam. I am not going to do this either. Our factory pads have a groove in them to release any gasses anyway. The factory brakes stop GREAT. Really no need to upgrade them but would love a set of pads that create LESS brake dust.

Br,

-Mike
I switched pads out on one of my BMWs to try to eliminate brake dust, but I hated the pedal feel. I really missed the excellent initial bite from the factory pads. My guess is that you might run into the same issue with the VN. I'll be interested to see when people find some better, dust-free pads.

-Sam

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know people that have drilled their own rotors...to save weight in stock classes. And they were the rear ones. I wouldn’t recommend doing that on any road going vehicle, but that’s me. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1

Who knows ANYONE who has ever drilled their own rotors?

-Sam
Well, probably the first batch of guys looking to solve the outgassing issue and get additional cooling. The machinery they use at a manufacturing house isn't that drastically different with the exception of the quality of the bits and the ability to do it much faster. But, as I mentioned above (with an Engineering Explained video to boot) drilling and slotting your rotors gives you no real benefit on the street. They don't cool any better, and in fact reduce surface area, which affects braking performance more so than the heat generated. Modern braking materials are much, much different than the organic compounds that were used in the 60's and 70's when disk brakes were fist becoming widespread and cost effective. The design of disk brakes allows them to cool much better than the old style drum brakes that came before. Ceramic and carbon pads/rotors, even the modern metallurgy in the rotors make for a much better overall braking experience.

You can get a set of drilled/slotted rotors for not much money on rockauto.com, or you can use the stock ones and have no real issues unless you're outright racing the car. Then, and only then, you may need better rotors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts