Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that if you're going to upgrade your downpipe, to get the most out of it you should get a tune. Is upgrading your downpipe worth it if you don't plan on getting a tune? Can I get a significant HP/torque boost just going with the downpipe? My understanding is 20-30 hp is possible with downpipe alone. Sound too good to be true.

Bill

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, along freer flowing exhaust. 20-25 is possible, 30+ not without an appropriate tune.
If I was to do it, I would need to go with the cated downpipe. Any CEL issues with that set up. Yes…I would upgrade to non-resonated exhaust.
Bill

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, along freer flowing exhaust. 20-25 is possible, 30+ not without an appropriate tune.
Also, do you have a recommended DP?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Maintec if your going to drive the car as a daily,
It retains the right amount of back pressure to properly enhance low to mid range performance and still produces excellent power at high rpm. It will work best with the OEM exhaust and has a 200 cell racing catalytic converter, produced in SK. Will pass state emission inspections. Dyno proven to 304+ whp with other modifications, of course.

Second choice; aFe Takeda

Third choice; most expensive, SXTH Element.

All have a catalytic converter, which is best for you and your pocketbook. Get caught without or written without, it will cost you bo coo bucks!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m thinking about going with the Borla ATAK cat back exhaust. Would The Maintec match up with that OK. I can afford the SXTH if that would be better.
Bill

·
Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
162 Posts
I've also been looking at a new downpipe (all options considered above). Not really to the tuning phase yet, but might get there at some point.

I'm fairly handy with tools and have a rudimentary knowledge of what does what on a car, but this install in particular just looks like an absolute PITA. I'm sure some of not many have experience with this install and what goes into removing/installing and so on.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for another N owner on if I should either attempt this myself or have a shop do it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maintec if your going to drive the car as a daily,
It retains the right amount of back pressure to properly enhance low to mid range performance and still produces excellent power at high rpm. It will work best with the OEM exhaust and has a 200 cell racing catalytic converter, produced in SK. Will pass state emission inspections. Dyno proven to 304+ whp with other modifications, of course.

Second choice; aFe Takeda

Third choice; most expensive, SXTH Element.

All have a catalytic converter, which is best for you and your pocketbook. Get caught without or written without, it will cost you bo coo bucks!!!
:) Howdy Red. Looking at the Maintec DP, the website states,

"The catted downpipe may trigger a CEL, while the decatted downpipe definitely will trigger a CEL. You must use a tune to eliminate the CEL."

I definitely want to go with a catted DP of course in my state, but according to Maintec, it may trigger a CEL. I'm not sure I'm ready for a tune or for that matter ever will be. At this point, I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of a tuner chip. And actually a little dubious of getting in there and changing how the ECU runs the engine. I'd probably be more open to the idea if I knew just how the chip works, what parameters it modifies, etc. I'm sure it changes the spark timing, fuel/air mixture, etc. Any input on your part would be appreciated. Just not sure about getting a Maintec DP now since it says it may trigger a CEL. Your thoughts?

Bill

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I’m thinking about going with the Borla ATAK cat back exhaust. Would The Maintec match up with that OK. I can afford the SXTH if that would be better.
Bill
Yes and work well.
:) Howdy Red. Looking at the Maintec DP, the website states,

"The catted downpipe may trigger a CEL, while the decatted downpipe definitely will trigger a CEL. You must use a tune to eliminate the CEL."

I definitely want to go with a catted DP of course in my state, but according to Maintec, it may trigger a CEL. I'm not sure I'm ready for a tune or for that matter ever will be. At this point, I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of a tuner chip. And actually a little dubious of getting in there and changing how the ECU runs the engine. I'd probably be more open to the idea if I knew just how the chip works, what parameters it modifies, etc. I'm sure it changes the spark timing, fuel/air mixture, etc. Any input on your part would be appreciated. Just not sure about getting a Maintec DP now since it says it may trigger a CEL. Your thoughts?

Bill
This is why you purchase one of these along with the DP and install. No CEL problems.:)(y)

PROSPORT Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL FIX (90°)
I've also been looking at a new downpipe (all options considered above). Not really to the tuning phase yet, but might get there at some point.

I'm fairly handy with tools and have a rudimentary knowledge of what does what on a car, but this install in particular just looks like an absolute PITA. I'm sure some of not many have experience with this install and what goes into removing/installing and so on.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for another N owner on if I should either attempt this myself or have a shop do it?
Book 4.5-6 hours for install. It's not for a novice and intermediate DIY mechanic can do the job but you have to have the tools and jack stands high enough to get the DP out from the bottom. If you're having any doubts and not really wanting to tackle the install, then let a shop do it for you.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
246 Posts
The Maintec and the AFE can both have a 90* elbow installed where the secondary O2 sensor installs to prevent the CEL. I think Red or Ghost should have the link/part handy since its elsewhere on the forum. The SXTH has an elbow hard piped onto it and comes ceramic coated which all adds to the higher price. I have the SXTH on my car, really pleased with the quality and performance. All the mentioned pipes are good tho. The only one I'd stay away from is the xforce unless your running a bigger turbo. As Red mentioned you need to keep backpressure in mind.
Edit: Red was on it like white on rice 😆 see above for 90*

·
Administrator
2,070 Posts

I went with the J-Bend (the 2nd one). It works better and you can adjust it with spacers. It prevents CEL's better. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Administrator
2,070 Posts
The J-Bend will actually allow you to use a cat-less DP (not that I am advocating it) without a CEL at all. I figured if it can prevent it on those then it will prevent them on just about anything. Plus, it's cheaper. Hope this helps?

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: Van Oster

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes and work well.
This is why you purchase one of these along with the DP and install. No CEL problems.:)(y)

PROSPORT Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL FIX (90°)
Book 4.5-6 hours for install. It's not for a novice and intermediate DIY mechanic can do the job but you have to have the tools and jack stands high enough to get the DP out from the bottom. If you're having any doubts and not really wanting to tackle the install, then let a shop do it for you.
Hello just wanted to ask if I should get this even tho I have ya tune that eliminates the cel also I wanted to ask if the catless one fits the flexpipe from rpm

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Yes, you’ll still need it. 👍🇺🇸

This one;

or this one;

1 - 14 of 14 Posts