Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello and happy New Year. I am currently installing downpipes and the nut on the turbo studs stripped the stud and now don't know how it will get nut or stud off. I do have to upgraded ss studs as well as locking nuts but could use some insight on how to get the studs out and possibly the nut. worse comes to worse I will have to drill nut and break it to break off stud.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Always utilize the double nut method on each stud to remove them. Don't drill the stud or attempt to break it off. You'll have to get a new nut and redress the threads on the stud with a the appropriate die, from a tap and die set. If the nut is stuck on the stud and you have enough stud sticking out from the nut, simply redress the end of the stud and then install another nut on top of the other. This will give you the locking torque to remove the stud by locking the lower nut against the upper.

If worse comes to worse, use a set of Vice Grips on the nut and back it off, then redress the threads on the stud and use the double nut method.:) (y)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always utilize the double nut method on each stud to remove them. Don't drill the stud or attempt to break it off. You'll have to get a new nut and redress the threads on the stud with a the appropriate die, from a tap and die set. If the nut is stuck on the stud and you have enough stud sticking out from the nut, simply redress the end of the stud and then install another nut on top of the other. This will give you the locking torque to remove the stud by locking the lower nut against the upper.

If worse comes to worse, use a set of Vice Grips on the nut and back it off, then redress the threads on the stud and use the double nut method.:) (y)
Ended up just sanding down the very edge of the stud since the nut literally was at the very end of the stud. As of now am working on the two bolts holding in downpipe and she comes out🙂. Will update later on tonight with sound clips of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Don't run the downpipe with just two bolts holding it in. It won't get a good enough seal on the gasket, especially once the downpipe heats up. With engine and exhaust movement it will cause the downpipe to loosen as well. Take the time to get the stud out and replaced.

Use some penetrating oil and then grasp the nut with a set of Vice Grips and it will come off. If you don't fell like you have enough room, use a nut splitter and cut the nut off. It won't affect the stud or threads, hen you can redress the stud with the right size die. After that apply the double nut for stud removal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't run the downpipe with just two bolts holding it in. It won't get a good enough seal on the gasket, especially once the downpipe heats up. With engine and exhaust movement it will cause the downpipe to loosen as well. Take the time to get the stud out and replaced.

Use some penetrating oil and then grasp the nut with a set of Vice Grips and it will come off. If you don't fell like you have enough room, use a nut splitter and cut the nut off. It won't affect the stud or threads, hen you can redress the stud with the right size die. After that apply the double nut for stud removal.
I am talking about the cat brace the two bolts? I have arp studs for the turbo

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
hello and happy New Year. I am currently installing downpipes and the nut on the turbo studs stripped the stud and now don't know how it will get nut or stud off. I do have to upgraded ss studs as well as locking nuts but could use some insight on how to get the studs out and possibly the nut. worse comes to worse I will have to drill nut and break it to break off stud.

thanks in advance
I am talking about the cat brace the two bolts? I have arp studs for the turbo
I'm confused, you're stating one thing in the beginning and another later in the thread. Which is correct; the turbo studs or the flex pipe brace?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm confused, you're stating one thing in the beginning and another later in the thread. Which is correct; the turbo studs or the flex pipe brace?
The nut on the studs was the initial issue on the actual turbo to downpipe connection The second post was an update. the brace that holds the cat to the car was what I was working on at the time of the post (second post). I was far past my initial issue with the turbo studs. Sorry for the confusion should’ve elaborated a little more but the install was a very long and frustrating. Hope this cleared up any confusion.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I am taking 3 days to do mine. lol....So not looking forward to it! lol....

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am taking 3 days to do mine. lol....So not looking forward to it! lol....

Br,

-Mike
It will take you a few hours as long as you hit the bolts with some pb blaster a few days prior. I went in with no pb blaster prior and meanwhile the car was freezing cold so the bolts were just that mich harder to unscrew.
Good luck with your install mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts