Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know to never second-guess themselves regarding their choice of buying the Veloster N.
I've either owned or test-driven every other hot hatchback on the market past and present and nothing checks off all the boxes like the N does.
Test drove the Type R, little quicker but looks hideous and too boy racer, plus exhaust sounds like a Dyson vacuum.
Test drove the Focus ST was pretty good, had horrible torque steer.
Test drove the Mini Cooper S, fun but reliability not good.
Test drove the VW Golf R and like the GTI was maybe too refined, but it was really quick especially with the DSG auto transmission. Also, very pricey.
Owned a VW GTI, overall very nice but lacking in the naughty dept, maybe too refined,also lots of understeer.
Owned a Fiesta ST and that hatchback would be my second favorite for fun to drive, just lacked hp. Great handling even to the point the rear wheel would lift during tight turns, had the best seats I've ever sat in.
Owned the mighty Focus RS and it was good in every category but comfort. Even with the suspension in its softest setting it would beat the crap out of me, and loosen your fillings if you weren't careful. Sold it after only 8 months.
The only hot hatch I can think of that I never had a chance to drive was the Mazdaspeed 3 but I've read it had the worst torque steer of any hot hatch.
The N just checks off all the boxes.
Cheers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never understood the crying about the speed 3 torque steer (or torque steer in general). I never once felt out of control and it actually made it kind of fun. Unless your left wrist is somehow too limp to hold on to the steering wheel, then complaining about torquesteer is just stupid IMO.
The VN is the first car since I had my speed 3 that I was excited about and it lived up to my expectations

·
Registered
34 Posts
I second this. I have owned- 2015 fbo sti, 2016 fbo 370z nismo, 2017 fbo focus Rs, 2018 challenger srt, 2020 fbo Gti, 2020 stage 1 TTs, and a current 2021 amg gla 35. The N is the only car I havnt sold and don't intend to sell. The exhaust note, awesome stock suspension, and overall driver connection is awesome. You won't find it anywhere sub 80k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am coming from evo X in past and I test drove veloster N dct 4-5 times. Then I test drive the manual one and i bought it. I still never had a chance to drive focus RS but it looks very tempting 350hp/350tq and a monster with the launch control. I would have seriously bought one but since it’s discontinue. Honda type R was a no test drive plus no negotiation it was 40K before tax etc. I bought 2021 N 30 OTD nothing beat that lol. In 2008 I bought lancer evo X 32 OTD base model which I think was the best deal had AwD and brembo brakes advantage over N

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The RS is tempting and I've driven it. The problem Ford RS had was the head gasket. After that was fixed no issues. I was in the market for one until Ford announced it was doing away with it. The dealerships went crazy and boosted the prices to $20K over MSRP after that. The Focus wasn't enough, so I went with the Hyundai VN.

Ford lost their mind, hiring a furniture CEO executive and finally retired. Maybe, they'll come back to there senses and get back into the performance car business, instead of selling just SUVs and Trucks. I just drive past their lots and they're lined up in the parking lot. I used to be a big Ford fan and owner but no longer. They've got nothing but a $69K GT350 and 100K Mustang GT500. Great cars but they're asking to much for what they are. I owned one of the earlier GT500's and was happy with it for the most part.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've not driven a GT500 (or GT350 for that matter) but the most recent 500 sounds like the first iteration of it I'd be interested in if I had that kind of money. It supposedly is a great all around track car now and not just big power.

Agree 100% on the vn being the best at it's price point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know to never second-guess themselves regarding their choice of buying the Veloster N.
I've either owned or test-driven every other hot hatchback on the market past and present and nothing checks off all the boxes like the N does.
Test drove the Type R, little quicker but looks hideous and too boy racer, plus exhaust sounds like a Dyson vacuum.
Test drove the Focus ST was pretty good, had horrible torque steer.
Test drove the Mini Cooper S, fun but reliability not good.
Test drove the VW Golf R and like the GTI was maybe too refined, but it was really quick especially with the DSG auto transmission. Also, very pricey.
Owned a VW GTI, overall very nice but lacking in the naughty dept, maybe too refined,also lots of understeer.
Owned a Fiesta ST and that hatchback would be my second favorite for fun to drive, just lacked hp. Great handling even to the point the rear wheel would lift during tight turns, had the best seats I've ever sat in.
Owned the mighty Focus RS and it was good in every category but comfort. Even with the suspension in its softest setting it would beat the crap out of me, and loosen your fillings if you weren't careful. Sold it after only 8 months.
The only hot hatch I can think of that I never had a chance to drive was the Mazdaspeed 3 but I've read it had the worst torque steer of any hot hatch.
The N just checks off all the boxes.
Cheers.
Currently deciding between an ND2 Miata or the Veloster N. If I get the Veloster N, it would be my 3rd FWD car in a row (coming from a 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V and currently a 2015 Civic Si). I'm about to pay off the Si and wanting something new. RWD would serve that purpose, but is the Veloster N awesome enough to justify getting a 3rd FWD in a row? I'm just looking for daily driver fun on backroads/twisty roads, and of course, car meets and cruises. The fact a lone that the Veloster N is amazing stock (especially the exhaust) made it go on the top of the list. A Miata can fit in my life, I don't carry much stuff on me most of the time and I have barely used the backseat of my Si coupe (I have probably used the backseat less than 10 times over 3 years of ownership). However, with that 3rd door on the Veloster, it may give me a reason to use it more often just based off how much easier it is to access the backseat with that door picking up friends, etc. =)

With the N, my only concerns are the Hyundai dealership experiences (Savagegeese), reliability (Yes, I read through the "Problems" section of this forum but I try not to let it turn me off lol) and if the handling dynamics/Strict driving feel will get boring after driving FWD all of my life. Then there's the issue of availability in my area, but that's something I have to work out on my own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently deciding between an ND2 Miata or the Veloster N. If I get the Veloster N, it would be my 3rd FWD car in a row (coming from a 2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V and currently a 2015 Civic Si). I'm about to pay off the Si and wanting something new. RWD would serve that purpose, but is the Veloster N awesome enough to justify getting a 3rd FWD in a row? I'm just looking for daily driver fun on backroads/twisty roads, and of course, car meets and cruises. The fact a lone that the Veloster N is amazing stock (especially the exhaust) made it go on the top of the list. A Miata can fit in my life, I don't carry much stuff on me most of the time and I have barely used the backseat of my Si coupe (I have probably used the backseat less than 10 times over 3 years of ownership). However, with that 3rd door on the Veloster, it may give me a reason to use it more often just based off how much easier it is to access the backseat with that door picking up friends, etc. =)

With the N, my only concerns are the Hyundai dealership experiences (Savagegeese), reliability (Yes, I read through the "Problems" section of this forum but I try not to let it turn me off lol) and if the handling dynamics/Strict driving feel will get boring after driving FWD all of my life. Then there's the issue of availability in my area, but that's something I have to work out on my own.
Oddly, I got my N this past Monday. I test drove exactly two types of car.. used ND miata one with manual 150ish hp and new Miata auto with 180ish) , and the Veloster N. I found it a very odd comparison. I found the Miata very pretty, but very boring. Veloster is not as beautiful a car but as soon as I felt the acceleration it was all over. I hear you can tune the miatas and add turbos but I didn't want to fool with it myself. Also I am 6 ft tall and skinny, the Miata felt cramped I could not get the seat back as far as I would have needed to be actually comfortable. My dream car for a few years has been a cayman, but where I live you can't test drive them without driving 3 hours. Now I'm wondering if I would fit in a Cayman anyway.

What do you think, when you compare them Miata and veloster? As they are sort of an odd pairing?

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
13 Posts
What do you think, when you compare them Miata and veloster? As they are sort of an odd pairing
While in many ways they are quite different, I think it's a great comparison since I believe they're the two most fun new cars at this price point. I'd love a miata but my Veloster is my only car so I needed something practical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While in many ways they are quite different, I think it's a great comparison since I believe they're the two most fun new cars at this price point. I'd love a miata but my Veloster is my only car so I needed something practical.
Wow interesting. And btw thanks for answering! Have you had practicality problems with the Veloster? Just got mine so I haven't seen any practical issues yet. I got groceries in it - put some in back seat and some in trunk. I WILL say the little plastic thing that pulls the seatbelt closer to you on driver's side is annoying. Wondering when/if it will break. Also I've been putting it in ECO to drive on residential streets. Even then it feels torquey and fun but not loud.

I'd been driving an automatic Chevy Traverse since I sold my WRX in 2009. It had 3 rows of seats, was one of the largest existing SUV'S based on a CAR frame, and acceleration was non-existent. I cried. ;)

In the Miata I honestly couldn't find a place to sit my phone. But it does look like the trunk will do the job. Ultimately I think it's by far a prettier car, especially the RF. I wanted to love it. But for ME practicality and engine power lacked. If the seat would have gone 2 inches further back and it hit more torque I'd probably be driving it now. I did not consider my 6'0" to be tall til I tried the Miata. Torque is, I think, where -I- get fun from a car, I don't go to the track, nor speed much, but if I can get UP TO the doors limit and have myself shoved backward in the seat, endorphins!

I guess I'm interested in how Miata seems more practical to you I'm concerned you may have had reliability or service issues that make the Veloster impractical. Since I just bought one that idea give me a lang of fear!

Hav ca great morning!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Patty ice -- somehow (probably sleepiness) I misread you thinking you had said the Veloster was impractical. Allergies and posting is almost as bad as drinking and posting

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
13 Posts
Patty ice -- somehow (probably sleepiness) I misread you thinking you had said the Veloster was impractical. Allergies and posting is almost as bad as drinking and posting
Haha no worries. But yeah I love the practicality of it. I can haul my groceries during the week, and I can haul my track tires to events during the weekend. The only practicality issues I've encountered are the slightly rougher ride (doesn't really bother me), the lack of a 4th side door (I've probably wasted one entire minute of my life having to walk to the other side), and the cramped rear seats (not something I personally have to deal with, but when I do occasionally have to have people in the back seats they do often comment on it being tight).

I'm not too worried about the plastic seatbelt thing. I comes down occasionally but I don't think it'll break on it's own. It could possibly break if something else hits it pretty hard.

If practicality wasn't an issue for someone, then the Miata vs Veloster N comparison is more relevant. I think the Miata would be more fun on things like the track/autocross (600+ lbs lighter and rwd sounds like a ton of fun), and probably more fun on twisty back roads, but barely. But everywhere else the Veloster N has it beat. It's more fun in a straight line and it has that sweet sweet exhaust note and the crackle/pops that hasn't gotten old in almost a year of ownership. I think most of it comes down to where you live and what you're looking for. The only "back roads" I have where I live are mostly straight FM roads which are obviously not really ideal so the Veloster N was an obvious choice for me even if I didn't need something practical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haha no worries. But yeah I love the practicality of it. I can haul my groceries during the week, and I can haul my track tires to events during the weekend. The only practicality issues I've encountered are the slightly rougher ride (doesn't really bother me), the lack of a 4th side door (I've probably wasted one entire minute of my life having to walk to the other side), and the cramped rear seats (not something I personally have to deal with, but when I do occasionally have to have people in the back seats they do often comment on it being tight).

I'm not too worried about the plastic seatbelt thing. I comes down occasionally but I don't think it'll break on it's own. It could possibly break if something else hits it pretty hard.

If practicality wasn't an issue for someone, then the Miata vs Veloster N comparison is more relevant. I think the Miata would be more fun on things like the track/autocross (600+ lbs lighter and rwd sounds like a ton of fun), and probably more fun on twisty back roads, but barely. But everywhere else the Veloster N has it beat. It's more fun in a straight line and it has that sweet sweet exhaust note and the crackle/pops that hasn't gotten old in almost a year of ownership. I think most of it comes down to where you live and what you're looking for. The only "back roads" I have where I live are mostly straight FM roads which are obviously not really ideal so the Veloster N was an obvious choice for me even if I didn't need something practical.
I just want a fun daily- but with that 3rd door it may give me more incentive to actually use that backseat more often to ride with friends, etc. compared to my Civic Coupe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts