Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Veloster N in late July, "Carolina Blue" PP and got rid of the 5000 mile Scat Pack Dodge. I prefer the compact performance over
the American muscle I found out. So far Takeda Stage II intake, Turbo inlet, Takeda Axleback and resonator delete. It makes a lot of noise. Wish
I had not done the resonator delete. Ordered a Depot Catless downpipe because if you are going to put one on, why restrict it with a cat. I live in
a non-inspection state and also know how to get rid of the CEL. Now it will make a lot of noise so exhaust may have to stay in normal mode except
when playing around our yonder. Obviously the next two steps will be larger intercooler and I am going to put some 18 inch Traklite's on the car with
235/40/18 tires. The car is too heavy and this will get it under 3000 lbs between all the mods. What does everyone think or am I FOS. I have a Scorcher
Tuner because everyone else has a JB4 and I don't like being like everyone else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why'd ya get rid of the SP? If money would have permitted I would have got a WB SP over the N, but I'm not trying to shell out 50k for a car.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Hi Lefty,

Could you give a comparison of both cars, performance wise? How far behind is the VN compared to the Dodge or is it behind at all? What one feels faster, ect....? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Lefty,

Could you give a comparison of both cars, performance wise? How far behind is the VN compared to the Dodge or is it behind at all? What one feels faster, ect....? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

-Mike
I can tell you just from owning an R/T Challenger that the N feels even with it to about 90 mph, after that my R/T will walk away from my N. I can't imagine how much slower it feels compared to a 392. I was taken back by how slow these Ns are after 90 mph, I get I come from a Speed3 that was a lot faster, better breathing mods, bigger turbo etc, but I don't remember my Speed being as slow in stock form. It's like Hyundai focused entirely on low end torque and said forget it to top end.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I can tell you just from owning an R/T Challenger that the N feels even with it to about 90 mph, after that my R/T will walk away from my N. I can't imagine how much slower it feels compared to a 392. I was taken back by how slow these Ns are after 90 mph, I get I come from a Speed3 that was a lot faster, better breathing mods, bigger turbo etc, but I don't remember my Speed being as slow in stock form. It's like Hyundai focused entirely on low end torque and said forget it to top end.
I can second that. I feel like I'm driving a rally car around town then it turns into a corolla cruising at 75 if I want more power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a speed 3 as well. I think you're probably forgetting what the 3 was like stock. It did not have top end power. It was well known for dropping significant power well before redline

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a speed 3 as well. I think you're probably forgetting what the 3 was like stock. It did not have top end power. It was well known for dropping significant power well before redline
I remember that power was gone after 5500 but even past 90 it still had pull to it if you shifted to 5th. It's like with the N it doesn't. You can drop to 3500 rpms in 5th and it will feel like torque is non-existent. I did a pull from 60-100 the other day for the first time and I swear it took 10+ seconds to do that. Just a little shocking with how light this car is, would have thought it'd be a little quicker. But you have a point, it's hard to come from cars that are much more powerful and not be biased. If I wasn't concerned with warranty I'd already be bolted and have a tune on my car, but I don't need that headache of having something break and being on the hook for the cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lefty,

Best regards,

-Mike
The Dodge was fast, especially when you stomped on it at highway speeds. That is the big difference between those muscle cars and compact performance. The gas mileage sucked, 14-15 around town and I had to put at least 91 in it. It is also bulky to drive, heavy and was pretty loud, even in stock mode. The scat pack has the performance suspension but not the adjustable I'm not sure what they call them, a certain type of shock that adapts automatically. Makes it a pain to lower if at all. I saw that Carolina blue VN and just had to have it so I traded. The Dodge was a fun car but for around town the compact performance cars are more fun I think. Heck, even with my mods I'm getting 26 on the highway with 91 octane. I am old, 63 and just play around and really don't drive fast. Another and the possibly the most important think is long term reliability. Dodge is not know for this. They already have recalls on the 2020 Scats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Dodge was fast, especially when you stomped on it at highway speeds. That is the big difference between those muscle cars and compact performance. The gas mileage sucked, 14-15 around town and I had to put at least 91 in it. It is also bulky to drive, heavy and was pretty loud, even in stock mode. The scat pack has the performance suspension but not the adjustable I'm not sure what they call them, a certain type of shock that adapts automatically. Makes it a pain to lower if at all. I saw that Carolina blue VN and just had to have it so I traded. The Dodge was a fun car but for around town the compact performance cars are more fun I think. Heck, even with my mods I'm getting 26 on the highway with 91 octane. I am old, 63 and just play around and really don't drive fast. Another and the possibly the most important think is long term reliability. Dodge is not know for this. They already have recalls on the 2020 Scats.
I kind of feel like people make Dodge out to be worse than they are. My wife and I have over 130k on the R/T now and have had very few problems. Mainly just oil change, diff fluid change, one brake change, tires, spark plugs (God having to buy 16 spark plugs annoyed me), and air filters. Granted I've done everything myself with the exception of tires, so I have confidence in my work, not so much anyone else. I will say there may be a time that the top end has to be rebuilt, I've heard tons of problems on lifters failing on the 6.4 and 5.7, but when that problem arises I will more than likely get a tuner, cam, headers, better valve train, and do it all in one fell swoop with a close friend of mine who's a lead tech at a Dodge dealership. Nothing too aggressive, I just want the sound more than anything. I love the Challenger for what it is. Our R/T if I'm driving it, and not my lead foot wife, I can usually average about 24.5, about on par what my Speed3 would get. But my VN is another story entirely. As long as I'm not doing a ton of city driving I'm averaging around 28-30 mpg regularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts