Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a VN but I just wanted to know if maintence on this car is difficult and if this car is the best bang for the buck. Also I'm buying this for my first car and its the 2019 version.

·
Super Moderator
1,174 Posts
Maintenance is pretty easy. And for the money it really cannot be beat. You will really enjoy it. (y)

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a VN but I just wanted to know if maintenance on this car is difficult and if this car is the best bang for the buck. Also I'm buying this for my first car and its the 2019 version.
So as far as maintenance goes it is advised that you follow the recommended cycle to keep in warranty compliance. If you want I can send you pictures of the owners manual that shows these. As the second/subsequent owner understand that you will not inherit the 100k americas best warranty but you will get a 5 year 60k warranty version active from the ORIGINAL purchase date. This is a great warranty which covers pretty much the whole car. If you plan to modify be aware that if you mess something up and the dealership can prove it was your mods that caused you risk being denied coverage. I have 8k and have only had to change the oil so far. If you keep this car stock, I doubt you will have much to do in the next 2-3 years (maybe pads and tires if you track it). As far as bang for your buck this car cannot be beat. If you are going 2019 I hope you tracked down a Performance Pack as it is well worth the extra bucks for the variable exhaust suspension and ELSD. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!!!

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
204 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a VN but I just wanted to know if maintence on this car is difficult and if this car is the best bang for the buck. Also I'm buying this for my first car and its the 2019 version.
You will be extremely happy. As it has been said - buy the Performance Pack. From a driving standpoint and fun it does not need anything.

If you are getting it to be the Fastest in a straight line then don’t buy it. It takes too much money to make it fast in a straight line to keep up w mustangs, chargers, etc.

However, if you want a car that can turn, is agile, and give you immediate feedback and a smile on your face - then, you need the VN.

-JE

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will echo what others said. Don't buy the non-PP version. I know you can get a much better deal on those, but you'll have that "what could have been" feeling eating you up inside.

I know, I passed on the very first N at my dealer two years ago and bought a R-spec and modded it out the wazoo. I had it just as good as the non-PP. Still was jonesing for the N.

Glad I waited for the 2021 DCT. My soul is happy now.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
224 Posts
The maintenance is easy as with other Hyundai's in my experience. Access to components is generally pretty simple too. Right off the showroom floor this car is pretty much spot on. I modded the suspension a bit on my Genesis Coupe to fix the understeer. I have not seen that need here, for example. Good power and great handling. Go test drive one. If you are not grinning at the end of the test drive you might be dead. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's absolutely worth the downsides. It's an amazing driver's car and just feels special. Just respect the maintenance intervals and understand that GDI engines will develop carbon build-up over time, so plan for having to have that properly addressed in a few years. It's also a performance car built on an economy platform, so it's on the stiffer side for a daily, and I would expect squeaks and rattles to develop in a Veloster N sooner than in higher-end performance vehicles. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
204 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys and just wondering if you guys know if the clutch and shifter feel good?
They feel fine to me. I've driven chevy, honda, nissan, all manual, and nothing glaringly wrong w it. Clutch is good. Diff engagement point than a newer honda and not as heavy as an older honda or nissan. Easy to acclimate too. Honestly you can launch this car from second w/ no problem. Pretty fool proof.

On some cold days it can feel notchy early but it smooths out pretty quick. From what Ive learned from other guys on here you want to use good lubricants and change the transmission oil before first 5k and some say 10k. Someone will probably elaborate on this better than I can.

The VN has a great warranty so Im confident in OEM trim and specs. You could do a aftermarket clutch but you would have to do a considerable amount of work on hp and ecu tune before you get to that point.

-JE

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clutch pedal is light and engagement is pretty early in travel, which I do like, though there's not much in the way of engagement feel. But when you're driving hard it's more about muscle memory rather than trying to feel it. It works well.

The shifter is precise and feels good. The throws feel great. Overall feel is a bit light. As far as modern manual transmissions go the Veloster N is good, but it's not as good as the benchmark cars like an ND Miata MX-5. It's still cable-actuated at the end of the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts