Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, does anyone know if the 2021's have the cold weather parking brake sticking issue still? Or did they address that in the tiny update they did?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
It's the same for most all the VN's that sit outside or are driven regularly in the wet or snow. It's the composition of the metallic pads and cast iron rotors that causes the issue.

The only real way to stop it is to; don't apply the hand brake with too much vigor, replace the pads for ceramic compounds, or switch to an alloy rotor and/or ceramic pad/alloy rotor combination.

If yours is locking up; make sure you fully release the parking brake and put the car in reverse backing up first. This will release the pads from the rotor.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had this happen really bad yesterday. Backed up, it bucked like it partially broke loose then I put it in 1st and started to drive and it bucked and popped like 4 more times as the back end finally broke loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hyundai has a bulletin out on the N's high performance brake system and it says exactly what was said above by RedVN.. It's the compound of the brake pads. Sticks to the rotor when wet.. So I would say the 21s have the same issue.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Hyundai was a bulletin out on the N's high performance brake system and it says exactly what was said above by RedVN.. It's the compound of the brake pads. Sticks to the rotor when wet.. So I would say the 21s have the same issue.
Just like the title says, does anyone know if the 2021's have the cold weather parking brake sticking issue still? Or did they address that in the tiny update they did?
Thank you for asking this question. 😂 My VN sits in a garage so it happens to me all the time. I knew what was happening but I assumed it was because it sat a lot and assumed it probably wasn't that common. I kept that little tag that went around the shifter but I don't remember if it said anything about it. Guess I could just pull it out.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
My VN also sits in a garage. I learned to not set the parking brake if it is wet. That seems to help. Just one of those endearing things we find in all of our cars. My Gen Coupe has the wavy dash.

·
Banned
8 Posts
My VN also sits in a garage. I learned to not set the parking brake if it is wet. That seems to help. Just one of those endearing things we find in all of our cars. My Gen Coupe has the wavy dash.
Shoot I don't know why I didn't think of the parking brake. Smh it's just such a habit it feels dirty not doing it. LMAO

It would take me awhile to get over the wavy dash. How do you like yours? I have toyed with the idea of picking one up.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
Shoot I don't know why I didn't think of the parking brake. Smh it's just such a habit it feels dirty not doing it. LMAO

It would take me awhile to get over the wavy dash. How do you like yours? I have toyed with the idea of picking one up.
After 132k miles and ten years I still really like my Genesis Coupe. Compared to the VN it is a quiet and smooth cruiser. The dash sinks in the front between the clips that mount it to the firewall. All BK1's have this. I am not positive about the BK2's. It is annoying, but the rest of the car is fine. So far, the most trouble-free car I have owned. I have a set of winter tires on it now which combined with RWD can make it a lot of fun. A few years ago my wife and I were going to church and it had snowed a bit overnight. I reached-down, disabled my ECS and then proceeded to go sideways down the street. I was surprised not to hear her scream. She said, "screaming just encourages you. When I saw the light come-on I knew something immature was about to happen so I just waited for it."

Reactions: Boosttastik

·
Banned
8 Posts
After 132k miles and ten years I still really like my Genesis Coupe. Compared to the VN it is a quiet and smooth cruiser. The dash sinks in the front between the clips that mount it to the firewall. All BK1's have this. I am not positive about the BK2's. It is annoying, but the rest of the car is fine. So far, the most trouble-free car I have owned. I have a set of winter tires on it now which combined with RWD can make it a lot of fun. A few years ago my wife and I were going to church and it had snowed a bit overnight. I reached-down, disabled my ECS and then proceeded to go sideways down the street. I was surprised not to hear her scream. She said, "screaming just encourages you. When I saw the light come-on I knew something immature was about to happen so I just waited for it."
Hahaha that's freaking epic! That's Definitely something my wife would say to me. I love rwd in the snow! I used to take my drift cars out in the snow and slide around in the snow. One time we went out in a light snow and then it really really really started to snow... I was sure I was going to get stuck. I didn't only because I didn't not use the brakes unless I absolutely had too. Ran stop signs red lights passed people in the shoulder and so on. There was no way I would have been able to start off again. Mainly because they were um... Summer... Drift tires... that were spares... It wasn't supposed to snow that much...

Oh okay so it's just one of those quirks you learn to live with. I could get used to it especially if it's a nice cruiser that eats up miles. The VN is pretty hardcore for a lot of people. I am so used to coilovers and shitty suspension in my dailies that are econoboxes. My daily now is an 03 Civic that needs struts so getting in the Veloster or my wife's 19 Escape is like getting in a luxury car. Haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts