Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a can of CRC intake valve cleaner and was going to use it, only to be met with wires and a radiator hose in the way of me removing the TB inlet hose. Does anyone have any tips or do I really have to take all that stuff off and put it back on before spraying into the TB?

·
Administrator
1,877 Posts
Can't you spray it through the MAP sensor port in front of the manifold?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Can't run it with the map port open. if you don't have the correct fittings. Have it done by a BG professional. It will cost you around $200. It will clean the back of the TB, fuel rail, ports, valves etc spotlessly.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't run it with the map port open. if you don't have the correct fittings. Have it done by a BG professional. It will cost you around $200. It will clean the back of the TB, fuel rail, ports, valves etc spotlessly.
How come I can't use CRC on this port? I would assume all I lose is TB cleaning which I don't really care about - as long as there is vacuum from the IM then I'm essentially doing the same thing, no? The CRC comes with a straw so I would think I spray into the port into the IM and get some cleaning.

The point of me doing this is for DIY preventative cleaning, knowing all I'm doing is prolonging the interval at which I'll need the GDI service done at the dealer.

I've had decent results with CRC on non turbo GDI so if the consensus is that it isn't worth it then I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
How are you going to run it thru the engine without the map sensor connected? You'll simply puddle it in the intake manifold and it won't distribute evenly to each cylinder. It needs to be in a pressurized tank, so that it will flow into the intake ports of each cylinder. Can't do this if you can't pressurize the intake manifold.

I understand what you're attempting to do but it won't work without a pressurized tank and the special coupling for the MAP Sensor.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You just have to make sure you have the Hyundai MAP Adapter.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not super keen on going full tilt with that kit - the whole point of getting the CRC with a straw was to keep it simple 😁. Anyone know how the dealer does it (shop manual instructions would be awesome)?

I found this thread just now and someone mentioned using a vacuum hose - just want to know what is the tried and true method for this so I don't botch anything: Lucas oil GDI deep clean

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used a vacuum port adapter from SXTH for both my R-Spec and Kona, and that worked well enough. I was going to scope the intake ports but that got convoluted rather quickly. I’m going to finally get around to installing my throttle body spacer for a boost gauge source, and will use one of the ports for this.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I were going to do this, I would remove the BOV and spray through its port on the cold pipe. You'll have to remove the airbox first, but it's really your best option in terms of even distribution to all cylinders.
I'll probably go this route next time - intake breather felt like the lazy way and I'm sure the distribution favored 3 & 4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts