Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if any of you considered and cross shopped the Ford Fiesta ST, before pulling the trigger on the Veloster N?
I test drove a Fist a few days ago and it is quite an impressive, sporty, little pocket rocket.
Unfortunately I tested it after I had driven both Civic type-r and the Veloster n, so it did feel a little underpowered but I have to say the Recaro seats in the Fiesta ST are the most comfortable seats I've ever been in, in any car.
They fit like custom-made seats for my body.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes I did as well. My buddy has one this FBO. The fist would be a fun toy but I liked the N more.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm just curious if any of you considered and cross shopped the Ford Fiesta ST, before pulling the trigger on the Veloster N?
I test drove a Fist a few days ago and it is quite an impressive, sporty, little pocket rocket.
Unfortunately I tested it after I had driven both Civic type-r and the Veloster n, so it did feel a little underpowered but I have to say the Recaro seats in the Fiesta ST are the most comfortable seats I've ever been in, in any car.
I sold my Fiesta ST to get a VN. What I will say is while the Recaro seats were much nicer than the VN seats, I spent nigh $10,000 to get it to perform the way the VN does stock. Big turbo, big brakes, coilovers, everything. I was making around 320whp and I'm just happier in the Veloster, plus I'm sold on the LSD.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yep. I actually had one for a week from carmax. 17k with 29k miles on it. The car was an absolute blast to drive. Truthfully, a little more fun than the N but not actually as fast. The fiesta feels way faster than it is. The seats were great too and the clutch was actually superior to the veloster as well. The real bummer was that there was a huge recall with the engines in those cars because of a flawed design where the engine would consume coolant. I was aware of the recall but the 2016 model was supposed to be fine. It was not. Over the course of having it for a week, the coolant level dropped significantly with no visible leaks. To carmax credit, they refund you no questions asked.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sold my Fiesta ST to get a VN. What I will say is while the Recaro seats were much nicer than the VN seats, I spent nigh $10,000 to get it to perform the way the VN does stock. Big turbo, big brakes, coilovers, everything. I was making around 320whp and I'm just happier in the Veloster, plus I'm sold on the LSD.
I sold my 2020 audi TTs for the N. Literally the only thing I miss about the audi is the seats and the digital dash.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know if Ford remedied the issue but the cylinder wall thickness between the water jackets was insufficient and cause major warping and head gasket failures because the head gasket also had to be thin in that area. They seem like a cool car but Ford reliability track record has been poor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have both, but mostly the FiST is my son's car. My perception is the VN is just better all around but also 30% more expensive. Whether the VN is 30% better than the FiST, only an individual can decide on their own set of priorities.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I can say is, for me it's much, much more satisfying driving a slow car fast, than driving a fast car slow.
Test drove a Nissan GTR and it was unbelievably fast, but felt disconnected, more like a video game experience, and really not much fun.
Cars like the Fist, Miata and Veloster N are way for fun to drive than your ultra powerful supercars.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love the way the Fiesta ST and the Focus St Drive but the interior feels cheaper then the VN to me. The VN may have plastic interior parts but is put together better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love the way the Fiesta ST and the Focus St Drive but the interior feels cheaper then the VN to me. The VN may have plastic interior parts but is put together better.
Really? I feel the opposite. The leather ricarros, sun roof, built in nav and solid shifter all felt like a classier interior compared to the VN for me. But I bought a VN because those things are a far second to me compared to performance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Really? I feel the opposite. The leather ricarros, sun roof, built in nav and solid shifter all felt like a classier interior compared to the VN for me. But I bought a VN because those things are a far second to me compared to performance.
When you live with either of those two interiors every day vs the VN you'll see how cheap they are. My Fiesta rattled and made all kinds of noise stock. The plastics felt super cheap, but I did love the seats. The Focus is better but its not a fun space to be in, its obviously just a slightly better eco-box interior.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you live with either of those two interiors every day vs the VN you'll see how cheap they are. My Fiesta rattled and made all kinds of noise stock. The plastics felt super cheap, but I did love the seats. The Focus is better but its not a fun space to be in, its obviously just a slightly better eco-box interior.
You are soooooo right about the seats in the Fiesta, they fit me so well it was like a custom made race seat where they too the mould of my body.
I wonder if a Recaro seat from the Fist would fit in the Veloster?

·
Registered
346 Posts
You are soooooo right about the seats in the Fiesta, they fit me so well it was like a custom made race seat where they too the mould of my body.
I wonder if a Recaro seat from the Fist would fit in the Veloster?
You can make anything fit with the right brackets, but I think it would sit way too high on the base. I have two sets of Recaros available to me. I could "test fit" them and see what happens, but then you also have he ST logo lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can make anything fit with the right brackets, but I think it would sit way too high on the base. I have two sets of Recaros available to me. I could "test fit" them and see what happens, but then you also have he ST logo lol
The way those Recaro seats fit me like a glove I could Overlook the ST logo.
They would be awesome for the racetrack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did. Saw a listing for a fiesta st at a place I'm passing by to look at other cars. Test drove IT and was planning on talking about numbers when I get the chance. Then I saw the Veloster N in the color I wanted that same night while waiting for the test drive. A week later the ST was gone. And now I have a veloster n. Was planning on getting both tbh. The Fiesta was fairly modified already, so eh. Veloster N was bone stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm coming from a FBO + 94 e10 stratified tune and the veloster is still much much faster out the gate. The interior is better, the entire package is basically better.

US made fiesta ST/focus ST also have severe rust problems from the Mexico plant having shoddy manufacturing. It's why I got rid of mine, summer car, 2015 with 7700$ in rust damage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Personally havent driven one, but I hated the seating position. One of the worst I ever experienced. Nothing was in the right place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I owned a 2016 Fiesta ST for about a year. It was a decent car. Shifter feel was godawful. Torque steer was all over the place and seating position was super high. Not a terrible car and personally i felt like for a non-apple carplay system the built in infotainment was actually amazing. Seats were fantastic. But i will say after a few months i just got bored. I also had a BRZ at the time and that car was so much more fun to drive. Even with less power and no turbo. It just felt more racecar.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I owned a 2016 Fiesta ST for about a year. It was a decent car. Shifter feel was godawful. Torque steer was all over the place and seating position was super high. Not a terrible car and personally i felt like for a non-apple carplay system the built in infotainment was actually amazing. Seats were fantastic. But i will say after a few months i just got bored. I also had a BRZ at the time and that car was so much more fun to drive. Even with less power and no turbo. It just felt more racecar.
Funny, I found the BRZ to be totally gutless compared to the Fist.
Tge Fist had the best seats I've ever sat in, and I've had many high end sports cars.
The seats were great, but the seating position was too high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts