Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
馃憢
I don't have much to share yet since I won't have the car for months, but I just placed an order for a 2022 Veloster N, 6MT in Performance Blue. Took a long time to choose a color; almost all of my previous cars have been red, and I love the look of the car in white (I don't think I'm patient enough to keep the black clean); but after years of watching their WRC cars and the Brian Herta car in this color, I just had to...

Can't wait to get the car. It was surprisingly difficult to even order. As a big rally fan, I've been watching the Hyundai N cars and development with great interest for a while; got to sit in one years ago at Pirelli World Challenge or an IMSA race or something at Laguna Seca (forget which event they brought it out for, I used to live an hour away so I'd go down all the time) and thought it was great, but wasn't in a position to be able to buy one, never got a chance to drive one, and was holding out for them to bring the i30/Elantra N hatch here. Not a fan of sedans or the current Elantra styling, am in the market for a car, used car prices are so through the roof that my wife is OK with buying a new care for barely more than a used one, so this was finally on the table.

I got lucky and was able to test drive a fairly modified non-PP 2019 at a local dealership (that they want almost as much as a brand new one for, with 25k miles on it), and LOVED the character of the car; had a blast. Decided I want one, but don't want to pay new prices for used, don't want to deal with the headache of 25k beat-on miles and boxes full of ebay parts, want the performance pack goodies, so I told them "I love the car but I don't want this one; I'd like to order one, take my money." They looked at me like I was crazy and basically claimed they can't order it? And they don't have any on the way. I said I understand there's a shortage, but I'm OK to wait a bit - at first I thought it was a hard-sell trying to sell me that I'll never get one so I better buy this abused one here today! But... after telling them several times that I want to order a new car, they wouldn't budge, and let me leave. Crazy.

Anyway, a friend put me in touch with someone at a dealer a couple hours away that happily put in an order for me, expected in ~3 months. Going to take FOREVER, but I'm excited either way!

Registered
Welcome aboard! I was also originally hoping they鈥檇 bring over either the i30N and/or the i30 Fastback N model, but I soon ran out of hope... or was it patience. When the Veloster came out, I wasn鈥檛 really a fan. After taking a drive in the Veloster N (several times actually), I was hooked with a big grin (this was pre-pandemic). For me, the more aggressive styling and rear wing enhance the look quite a bit. While I got the pp, I thought the base pulled nearly as well. I鈥檓 pleasantly surprised at how much space there really is in it, especially with the seats folded down (albeit with a rather high lift over). I like the quirky styling as well as the Jeckll & Hyde personality (I seem to easily get over 30mpg on long highway runs).

I have run into the same thing about some dealers not wanting to order (or at least discouraging). Perhaps a way to move existing inventory, perhaps shortsightedness? In any event, glad to hear you were able to get one on your terms.

Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
Congratulations are in order - welcome to the club. Lots of excellent information here and a grwat community to boot.

N-joy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard! I was also originally hoping they鈥檇 bring over either the i30N and/or the i30 Fastback N model, but I soon ran out of hope... or was it patience. When the Veloster came out, I wasn鈥檛 really a fan. After taking a drive in the Veloster N (several times actually), I was hooked with a big grin (this was pre-pandemic). For me, the more aggressive styling and rear wing enhance the look quite a bit. While I got the pp, I thought the base pulled nearly as well. I鈥檓 pleasantly surprised at how much space there really is in it, especially with the seats folded down (albeit with a rather high lift over). I like the quirky styling as well as the Jeckll & Hyde personality (I seem to easily get over 30mpg on long highway runs).

I have run into the same thing about some dealers not wanting to order (or at least discouraging). Perhaps a way to move existing inventory, perhaps shortsightedness? In any event, glad to hear you were able to get one on your terms.
Thank you!

I honestly really still wish they brought the i30N; the Veloster is fun because it's a little weird, but I really much prefer the i30N both visually and practically (yeah, I'm getting old, ha). The fact that the Veloster is the Veloster kinda helped me be in a position to buy one, though - years and years ago we had one as a rental car, and my wife (NOT a car person) misread the badge as Velostar (pronounced Vee-low-STAR 馃ぃ) so since then it's always been a car that we'd point out and have a chuckle. So Hyundai making a bonkers, loud, performance version really helped sell her on the prospect of buying one.

But watch, now that I've ordered this car, they'll bring the i30N over to spite me - you're welcome! ;)

Regarding the space, that was another big sell for the car for us - we're expecting our first kiddo in a couple of months, and we test-fit our car seat in the used N I drove Monday - it's still a small car and a tight squeeze, but there was more room than my wife's car (admittedly small Mazda CX-3), so another easy sell when cross-shopping with the new BRZ (which I'm assuming would have exactly the same rear-seat room as my FR-S, which was... none). And I'm pretty sure the stupid stroller we bought won't fit in my wife's hatch, but will fit in the N, so another bonus! As a big rally fan, I also heavily considered the WRX; but I've already had two (and a 2.5RS coupe), and driven loads of them, and without heavily modifying them they just don't feel as 'special' as the N. Also the rev hang in the current model is maddening. Not a huge fan (yet, at least) of the 2022, and an STI in my price bracket would have a ton of miles on it (and an engine design from the 80s - and I say that mostly lovingly as a lifelong Subaru fan LOL). Anyway...

About that high liftover - I realized when poking around at the dealer that they seem to have claimed a lot of space back from omitting the spare; I didn't share that realization with the wife, she might have veto'd, hah. We've had some bad tire luck on several road trips in her car, and her spare has saved us probably... 4-5 times... 2 of them were unpatchable, and all of them happened outside of cell coverage, so I am a bit nervous about losing a spare, but we'll see how that goes - hopefully she never has to find out I don't have one. 馃槆

Yeah I'm honestly not expecting a -huge- performance bump from the performance pack - "having to have it" more stems from this being my first ever new car purchase, the first time I've ever just decided to buy something, pay full price, been able to order it to spec, whatever - instead of just searching for a deal or lucking in to something. So I know I'd always wish I had it if I didn't get it. I'm certainly not enough driver to take advantage of it, hah - maybe 10 years ago when I was rally- and/or autocrossing every weekend, going to rally school and so on it might have made a difference, but life has gotten in the way a lot since then and I've forgotten just about everything. Hoping to get back into things once I've got the car and now that my life/living situation should allow much more "car play" - but with the baby on the way I'm sure it won't be as often as I'd like; hopefully she grows up to be into cars like her dad and wants to tag along. 馃檭

I was really baffled that they just let me leave when I was clearly wiling to spend money. I made it very clear I wasn't buying the VN they had, and it was obvious I wasn't interested in anything else on their lot. Oh well! I bet they somehow get one before the dealer I ordered from, and I get stuck having to tell them I bought one elsewhere.

Registered
I used to be a fan of Subaru, but that was with bugeyes and Hawkeyes. Current styling never drew me in. I did test a new WRX (2 actually at the same dealer). It was like a sunny 95 deg day out and they both suffered from amazing heat soak or something. You could tell the engine timing was being retarded or something and hence it had massive power loss, hesitation/stuttering, and would not for the life of it pull cleanly... or pull at all for that matter. I鈥檝e had prior turbo cars that never felt noticeably different in the heat. Add on the rev hang (all too prominent in that car) and I just couldn鈥檛 get enthused. Dealer tried to tell me techs found no problem with it. Oh well. I鈥檓 always hopeful for much sleeker or unique styling with each new generation of the WRX... but somehow they fall flat in execution to me. With no more hatchback, it becomes a no go. To me, Subaru has lost their mojo... like Acura too. On that front I鈥檓 skeptical but anticipating the new Integra, but somehow I sense it鈥檒l be too much of the new civic hatch rebadge job.

With regards to a spare tire, take a look at this thread as you don鈥檛 have to be without...Spare tire found for PP

Registered
Hi!
馃憢
I don't have much to share yet since I won't have the car for months, but I just placed an order for a 2022 Veloster N, 6MT in Performance Blue. Took a long time to choose a color; almost all of my previous cars have been red, and I love the look of the car in white (I don't think I'm patient enough to keep the black clean); but after years of watching their WRC cars and the Brian Herta car in this color, I just had to...

Can't wait to get the car. It was surprisingly difficult to even order. As a big rally fan, I've been watching the Hyundai N cars and development with great interest for a while; got to sit in one years ago at Pirelli World Challenge or an IMSA race or something at Laguna Seca (forget which event they brought it out for, I used to live an hour away so I'd go down all the time) and thought it was great, but wasn't in a position to be able to buy one, never got a chance to drive one, and was holding out for them to bring the i30/Elantra N hatch here. Not a fan of sedans or the current Elantra styling, am in the market for a car, used car prices are so through the roof that my wife is OK with buying a new care for barely more than a used one, so this was finally on the table.

I got lucky and was able to test drive a fairly modified non-PP 2019 at a local dealership (that they want almost as much as a brand new one for, with 25k miles on it), and LOVED the character of the car; had a blast. Decided I want one, but don't want to pay new prices for used, don't want to deal with the headache of 25k beat-on miles and boxes full of ebay parts, want the performance pack goodies, so I told them "I love the car but I don't want this one; I'd like to order one, take my money." They looked at me like I was crazy and basically claimed they can't order it? And they don't have any on the way. I said I understand there's a shortage, but I'm OK to wait a bit - at first I thought it was a hard-sell trying to sell me that I'll never get one so I better buy this abused one here today! But... after telling them several times that I want to order a new car, they wouldn't budge, and let me leave. Crazy.

Anyway, a friend put me in touch with someone at a dealer a couple hours away that happily put in an order for me, expected in ~3 months. Going to take FOREVER, but I'm excited either way!

Did the dealer markup? I'm wanting to do the same and willing to do a deposit if I'm not paying over MSRP D:

My local dealer currently has a used 2020 PP with ~18,000 miles listed for $32,888 (-____-)

Product Azure Font Material property Screenshot

Like........bruh. Nah.

Registered
I was also told three months to get my 22. I ran into the same issues at first when talking to a salesperson, they were reluctant to even consider ordering me a car. I am not familiar with the way Hyundai works with dealers. I have come to understand from information I have seen on this forum, they don't build cars to order (very different from the brands I normally buy) and dealers just get cars that are allocated to them, or do dealer trades (which since there were no other dealers that had any made that impossible). The salesperson had the general manager call me and he was very easy to deal with, asked me what color and if I wanted any options (like a lighting kit), and that was it. If he was correct the car should arrive sometime in December. I do understand that the Veloster is not exactly a hot selling model for Hyundai, but I was very surprised that there was not a single new or used one within 100 miles of my home.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to be a fan of Subaru, but that was with bugeyes and Hawkeyes. Current styling never drew me in. I did test a new WRX (2 actually at the same dealer). It was like a sunny 95 deg day out and they both suffered from amazing heat soak or something. You could tell the engine timing was being retarded or something and hence it had massive power loss, hesitation/stuttering, and would not for the life of it pull cleanly... or pull at all for that matter. I鈥檝e had prior turbo cars that never felt noticeably different in the heat. Add on the rev hang (all too prominent in that car) and I just couldn鈥檛 get enthused. Dealer tried to tell me techs found no problem with it. Oh well. I鈥檓 always hopeful for much sleeker or unique styling with each new generation of the WRX... but somehow they fall flat in execution to me. With no more hatchback, it becomes a no go. To me, Subaru has lost their mojo... like Acura too. On that front I鈥檓 skeptical but anticipating the new Integra, but somehow I sense it鈥檒l be too much of the new civic hatch rebadge job.

With regards to a spare tire, take a look at this thread as you don鈥檛 have to be without...Spare tire found for PP
My first car was a blobeye WRX wagon, and I later had a GC 2.5RS and a bugeye sedan. 馃槉The good ol' Subaru days.

I liked the looks of the hatch STI a lot, but it was never in the budget; got to live vicariously through a friend who did a full 400+ whp build on his 2011 and was practically offended if we hung out and I didn't test out his latest upgrade.

Was very excited to see a much more 'modern' engine get put in the 15+ WRXs, but yeah, that rev hang is just brutal. No idea what was going on with that one you tested out, but something definitely sounds like it was wrong; I've driven a handful of them and they all seemed much peppier than the older ones to me! Just heavier/piggier to turn and stop, ha. And a bit too refined/'adult' seeming. I agree that they're mostly losing their mojo, but I'm too much of a sucker for what they do here in the US with rally, hillclimb, and recently with nitro RX picking back up (basically just marketing, but it works on me... until you drive the cars 馃様) for me to give up hope completely. I was never huge into Acuras, but there are some cool hype/teasers floating around for the new Integra; let's hope they don't mess it up!

Thanks for the heads up on the spare! I'll have to start hunting around to put something similar together, just to have the option.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the dealer markup? I'm wanting to do the same and willing to do a deposit if I'm not paying over MSRP D:

My local dealer currently has a used 2020 PP with ~18,000 miles listed for $32,888 (-____-)

View attachment 7187

Like........bruh. Nah.
I haven't actually signed anything official yet, just put down a deposit to place the order, so I suppose there's still a chance they try to mark it up when I go to pick up (or try to sneak some third-party extended warranty into the purchase or something), but when I asked to confirm price the number they gave me matched MSRP + freight. It will be a huge bummer if they try a bait & switch after waiting for months, so let's hope they're honest.

And yeah, used prices are insane right now. The one I test drove was a 2019 non-PP with some poorly-glued ebay spoiler lip, blacked-out taillights, rattle-canned wheels, etc... 24k miles, they're asking $32k + TTR. 馃檭 No thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also told three months to get my 22. I ran into the same issues at first when talking to a salesperson, they were reluctant to even consider ordering me a car. I am not familiar with the way Hyundai works with dealers. I have come to understand from information I have seen on this forum, they don't build cars to order (very different from the brands I normally buy) and dealers just get cars that are allocated to them, or do dealer trades (which since there were no other dealers that had any made that impossible). The salesperson had the general manager call me and he was very easy to deal with, asked me what color and if I wanted any options (like a lighting kit), and that was it. If he was correct the car should arrive sometime in December. I do understand that the Veloster is not exactly a hot selling model for Hyundai, but I was very surprised that there was not a single new or used one within 100 miles of my home.
Good luck, hope you get it in time!! The salesperson I am working with quoted 3-4 months based on the last one they ordered for someone - order placed in August, and supposed to be arriving in a couple of weeks. So I'm hoping that's a good indication, and that guy didn't just get really lucky, hah.

That does sound odd how they distribute cars. I can't imagine being a dealership and more-or-less being told "here are the cars you have to sell, whether you like it or not" ha.

Registered

View attachment 7187

Like........bruh. Nah.
Wishful thinking! This is why dealerships get a bad reputation. They鈥榬eattempting to make up the loss of not having new cars to sell. The lack of new cars, is driving used car sales up.

This is a desperate dealership, trying to stay afloat but some unaware individual will buy it eventually. Supply and demand dictates price.馃憤馃嚭馃嚫

1 - 13 of 13 Posts