Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
If ECO in the N is similar to the big green button on the V6 accord I just traded, it just remapped the throttle and under-drove accessories. I could never tolerate how long it took to get up to speed. I don't even think I'll explore it in the new ride.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Eco mode drives me nuts. It makes the engine run rough and feels like crap. Maybe that's why my MPGs have yet to get above 20 LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is zero difference in power between all modes. It has been dynoed and proven. ECO remaps the throttle response to molasses, but that's it. Your right foot can do the same thing as ECO.
It's why I don't understand these pedal box claims when all it does is change the throttle response of the actual gas pedal action.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Once boost ramps up power feels the same, but the slow reaction of it will help snow traction. What I don't understand are the disclaimers in the manual about eco mode and possibly not being able to maintain speed up steep grades or something of that nature. You have to press the pedal further but all the power is there so I don't get it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Once boost ramps up power feels the same, but the slow reaction of it will help snow traction. What I don't understand are the disclaimers in the manual about eco mode and possibly not being able to maintain speed up steep grades or something of that nature. You have to press the pedal further but all the power is there so I don't get it.
I believe the manual has the disclaimer for absolute idiots, just in case. "The car bogged down, but I had my foot on the gas!" (Depressing pedal 15%) Change modes because you're an idiot per the manual.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I get better gas mileage in eco but I drive the car like an old man. I have a 30+ mile drive to work and on back roads I get between 32 and 33 mpg in eco mode. Since the car drives like an 86 civic in eco mode I am very light on the throttle. But in N Custom mode I get between 28 and 30 mpg on the same back roads. I DO press the gas a little harder though. :)

I think between all the modes it changes the map in the ecu for economy and performance. Also, in N custom mode if you change the suspension settings without touching the engine settings the ecu still adjusts the power level in correspondence with the suspension. Here try this: keep all the settings in N custom mode at sport + and switch the suspension to normal. Drive for a while, then switch it to the sport mode on the left side of the wheel. I did this yesterday and it was quicker in sport mode and I did it a few times. This is what leads me to believe that the ecu adjusts itself according to the suspension too. I could be wrong but this is what the butt dyno tells me. This is a great car Hyundai made and I will never get rid of it. Such a cool little car!!!! Can't say that enough!

Best regards,

-Mike
I noticed today I was in n custom with suspension set normal. And I switched to sport and it was faster

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
This is a very cool car. Right?

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: IKR

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get better gas mileage in eco but I drive the car like an old man. I have a 30+ mile drive to work and on back roads I get between 32 and 33 mpg in eco mode. Since the car drives like an 86 civic in eco mode I am very light on the throttle. But in N Custom mode I get between 28 and 30 mpg on the same back roads. I DO press the gas a little harder though. :)

I think between all the modes it changes the map in the ecu for economy and performance. Also, in N custom mode if you change the suspension settings without touching the engine settings the ecu still adjusts the power level in correspondence with the suspension. Here try this: keep all the settings in N custom mode at sport + and switch the suspension to normal. Drive for a while, then switch it to the sport mode on the left side of the wheel. I did this yesterday and it was quicker in sport mode and I did it a few times. This is what leads me to believe that the ecu adjusts itself according to the suspension too. I could be wrong but this is what the butt dyno tells me. This is a great car Hyundai made and I will never get rid of it. Such a cool little car!!!! Can't say that enough!

Best regards,

-Mike
Sorry to dig up such an old post but I was testing out sport mode again today which is what I test drove the car in. It legitimately felt faster than N mode with soft suspension and shifted easier and smoother too. I think you're right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was wondering if Eco mode actually actively does something to the tuning to save more on gas. For example: If I were to drive in Eco mode and shift at the 2k RPM it recommends then go back and do the exact same in N mode would the MPG be any different?

Is the only thing Eco mode does is reduce the throttle response? Which I guess makes it easier to shift earlier... Takes away the temptation to go flat out :devil:

Anyone do any testing with this?
I actually get better mileage in Normal and sport when driving on the streets. you have to press the pedal deeper in EcoMode and i think that uses a little more fuel for real world driving. I do use ecomode on the freeway, thats when ecomode works for me and i can get up to 35mpg, but only on a free moving freeway.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts