Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. My current car is a 2018 Civic Sport hatch manual with a Hondata tune. The car makes 206 whp and 244 wtrq. It's a fun car for what it is, but it's certainly nothing like a performance model like the VN. I'm leasing, and my lease is done in 9 months. I'm currently in research mode. I've had my eye on the Veloster N for quite a while. I can purchase my Civic for $13,300 when the lease is up. I'm trying to decide if I should just be content with my Civic, or spend a few more thousand and get the VN. Who knows what values will be like on anything after covid-19, but I'm thinking a nice, two year old VN could be bought for $20K or less by then. I'm 38, married, with no kids. I've owned many cars, and most of them had a tune on them. I've never owned a car that put performance and handling first. To be honest - I would love a Civic type R. But, the styling is too much for me. They are also still selling for stupid money, even used. The Veloster N appears to be very close in performance for way cheaper, and it looks more subtle. I have time to decide. Has anybody here gone from a more civil car to having the VN as their daily driver? Any regrets?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Depends where you live. Florida for example has TERRIBLE veloster n rates because they sell like hotcakes. The first N in dealers i saw was a base non performance pack that was over 40k. I bought my PP for msrp and i currently csnt even refinance it because the "value" is around 20k now even thought a used N PP around here sells for 27k.
I doubt youll find an N below 20k unless is rebuilt or something but youll definitely find a great deal on one if you look long enough. Dont get yourself into anything you wont be 100% happy with though. Dont over pay for a non performance pack but dont feel like you need to fork over the extra cash for a PP either. I can tell you right now your civic will probably last decades since its a 2.0 n/a, and honda has a more stable market value. So if you switch to an N you should consider all worst case scenarios and see if its worth it for you personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends where you live. Florida for example has TERRIBLE veloster n rates because they sell like hotcakes. The first N in dealers i saw was a base non performance pack that was over 40k. I bought my PP for msrp and i currently csnt even refinance it because the "value" is around 20k now even thought a used N PP around here sells for 27k.
I doubt youll find an N below 20k unless is rebuilt or something but youll definitely find a great deal on one if you look long enough. Dont get yourself into anything you wont be 100% happy with though. Dont over pay for a non performance pack but dont feel like you need to fork over the extra cash for a PP either. I can tell you right now your civic will probably last decades since its a 2.0 n/a, and honda has a more stable market value. So if you switch to an N you should consider all worst case scenarios and see if its worth it for you personally.
Thanks for the reply. Good advise regarding the purchase of a used VN. The Civic Sport hatchback has the 1.5T motor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There's no doubt that the VN will be a higher performing, more fun, and better sounding car. There's no use debating that, every camparo I've seen backs that up.

Is there a killer feature the Civic has that the VN doesn't (like sunroof)?

Can you live with the decrease in MPG? I'm getting 24ish combined. It sucks gas. But if you are willing to drop an extra $10k, I doubt MPG will matter very much.

If performance is what you're after, the VN is what you want. It drives great (not very harsh, it's fine for a DD). It has plenty of room and storage too.

As for the tune, I'd rather have the reliability myself it has plenty of power. Don't get your mind stuck on a tune until you drive it. I don't know if the dealerships can tell if the ECU had been tuned (I had a GrnCoupe and it was easy to tell) but that will get power train warranty coverage denied instantly.

Remember also- if you get one second hand, you don't get the same warranty. Read the fine print, resellers will bullshit you into thinking the warranty is straight transferrable- it IS NOT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd likely keep the VN power stock to enjoy the warranty. Hyundai CPO comes with the 100K/10 year warranty I think. Purchasing a used Hyundai from another dealer would only have a 60K powertrain if memory serves me correctly. All of the "compromises" guybo mentions I can live with to have a hotter performing car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheapest certified with PP 500 miles from me is $26,500. I'm hoping that by next spring there will be a few more cheaper options with the 2019's two years old then. We shall see.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The VN is very easy to live with. But prices in CA have not budged, $32K is the lowest you can find it over here.
I got mine for MSRP in SoCal

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nine months from now is going to be a very unpredictable time. There is going to be a crash in the second hand market for sure. Sooner rather than later? Who knows. VN are always going to be a good second-hand deal because Hyundai cars have not traditionally held their value well in the early years. I think it could be a good choice to make the swap if you can find a good example that hasn't been beaten on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nine months from now is going to be a very unpredictable time. There is going to be a crash in the second hand market for sure. Sooner rather than later? Who knows. VN are always going to be a good second-hand deal because Hyundai cars have not traditionally held their value well in the early years. I think it could be a good choice to make the swap if you can find a good example that hasn't been beaten on.
Then there's this..... If the virus follows like Spanish Flu did, this thing will be with us for 2-3 years. Soon a lot of government help will be going away then the real recession will hit and there's no telling how the car market will be changed. Car manufacturers are coming off one of the worst quarters in history, I think used cars will jump up in value as people rely on the used car market because they are out of work or making less.

Aside from that and based on what you said above- get the VN and don't be afraid to get a NPP. I have one and I'm on a tight budget so the benefits of an open diff and less potential probs outweigh the need for a LSD (IMHO the other PP options are fluff). I don't race or track or autoX my car either. The most I do is go on back road cruises. So you can save a couple grand $ if that would help.

You only live once, get the car you WANT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Aside from that and based on what you said above- get the VN and don't be afraid to get a NPP. I have one and I'm on a tight budget so the benefits of an open diff and less potential probs outweigh the need for a LSD (IMHO the other PP options are fluff). I don't race or track or autoX my car either. The most I do is go on back road cruises. So you can save a couple grand $ if that would help.
Yep, politics and speculation aside, I do really like what the NPP has to offer. The ride should be mildly improved with smaller wheels, most people drive the VN in loud mode anyway (which is the only choice for NPP), the 25 extra horsepowers are at the top end (out of reach 90% of the time), and the e-LSD is most worth it's money when driving like a hooligan (again, not useful 90% of the time). And if you really wanted to later into ownership, most of these things could be done better in the aftermarket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts