Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my new car from the dealership it was parked on a slight downward driveway, so when I pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level it registered about 8mm above the upper mark on the dipstick.
The salesman said that it was because the car was on a slope and that it should be fine.
Well I checked again and it shows the same.
So I plan on getting a thin clear tube and syringe and suck out the extra oil, as I really don't feel like buying another jack and getting under the car.
I found this video interesting because they mention Hyundai dealers and overfilling is normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does that mean in the spring when I go to change the oil I should put in the recommended amount as per the manual(which my overfill) or fill it to the top of the dipstick?
Use the manual. I use about 4.8 quarts and I read over on the dipstick. Only use the dipstick for reference as it's not accurate. They took the dipstick from an Elantra or something cause they couldn't import the one made for the N. Ridiculous I know.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use the manual. I use about 4.8 quarts and I read over on the dipstick. Only use the dipstick for reference as it's not accurate. They took the dipstick from an Elantra or something cause they couldn't import the one made for the N. Ridiculous I know.
Thanks for that my friend, as
I was going to either get under the car and drain some oil out, or suck it out through the dipstick channel.
The salesman was kinda sarcastic when I picked my car up, when I mentioned the oil was overfilled he said "I think our service department knows what they're doing."

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
555 Posts
I just did my first oil change. It took the whole five quarts and it is reading around the full mark. Since it was my first I held back about a quart to run the engine and get a reading. This would appear to be exactly the same as my Gen Coupe. I drain with the nose in the air which I find gives a more complete drain on all of my cars.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was going to either get under the car and drain some oil out, or suck it out through the dipstick channel.
The salesman was kinda sarcastic when I picked my car up, when I mentioned the oil was overfilled he said "I think our service department knows what they're doing."
The fact that he even thinks his service team is the one that put the oil in on a brand new car tells you everything you need to know about his mechanical abilities.

·
Registered
43 Posts
no one is pointing out that the "fill amount" can cause the overall level to be different depending on how much oil they let drain out. Was the car hot or cold? Was the fill cap removed before draining? saying the fill amount is unequivocally correct is naïve.

I'd also like to see the proof of the dipstick being incorrect. Anybody have a link?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nah.
Bottom line, don't trust any salesman who says things like that. Everyone makes mistakes, and a good salesman should acknowledge that fact, not pretend that they're all perfect little angels.

Unfortunately I just had an incident with my dealer who I bought the car from, where right before I drove from Austin, TX out to the Bay Area (a 3-day, 1800 mile drive), I took it in for the "factory severe conditions" service (about $200).
Dropped it off at 9AM, had an appointment set for 11AM, came back to the dealer at around 3PM, and they hadn't even gotten started. Annoying, for sure, but I can do most of my work from my phone, so I just took care of what I could, and at about 4:30PM I got the keys, paid for the service and rolled out. Didn't go too far except to get a checkup on the alignment at a buddy's shop, where he noticed that the drain plug was pretty messy. No worries, they might have just forgotten to clean it up.

Fast forward to day two of the drive about a week post-service, going through New Mexico. I'm hearing some weird noises from the front end, so I pull over, look under the car. Nothing is on fire, no smells, no lights on the dash, and nothing dripping. I call ahead to a small dealership in Farmington, I tell them what's going on, and they tell me to come through and they'll take a look at it. The instant it's up in the air, he notices the same mess on the drain plug, as well as some more on the filter itself, as well as the drain plug being rounded off. He tells me they can just swap the plug and make sure the crush washer is fully on there, no problem. The instant he pulls the plug off and tries to put the new one in it's place, the thing spews oil everywhere. Not like a mild drain effect, this thing was an oil geyser. We're both surprised, put it on the ground, and even after nearly a quart of oil came out of the thing before the new plug was in place, it's showing what looks to be a quart over full. They drained the excess, and I went on my merry way. We had to get Hyundai corporate involved, and they ended up admitting they screwed up and refunded my money, though they initially tried to claim that they did nothing wrong and it was all my imagination, not realizing that the guys in Farmington had taken exceedingly good notes.

TL;DR: Because my dealership put me in a position to not be able to trust them, I'm now going to be in the habit of double-checking the work of my new dealership until I'm confident in their service.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah.
Bottom line, don't trust any salesman who says things like that. Everyone makes mistakes, and a good salesman should acknowledge that fact, not pretend that they're all perfect little angels.

Unfortunately I just had an incident with my dealer who I bought the car from, where right before I drove from Austin, TX out to the Bay Area (a 3-day, 1800 mile drive), I took it in for the "factory severe conditions" service (about $200).
Dropped it off at 9AM, had an appointment set for 11AM, came back to the dealer at around 3PM, and they hadn't even gotten started. Annoying, for sure, but I can do most of my work from my phone, so I just took care of what I could, and at about 4:30PM I got the keys, paid for the service and rolled out. Didn't go too far except to get a checkup on the alignment at a buddy's shop, where he noticed that the drain plug was pretty messy. No worries, they might have just forgotten to clean it up.

Fast forward to day two of the drive about a week post-service, going through New Mexico. I'm hearing some weird noises from the front end, so I pull over, look under the car. Nothing is on fire, no smells, no lights on the dash, and nothing dripping. I call ahead to a small dealership in Farmington, I tell them what's going on, and they tell me to come through and they'll take a look at it. The instant it's up in the air, he notices the same mess on the drain plug, as well as some more on the filter itself, as well as the drain plug being rounded off. He tells me they can just swap the plug and make sure the crush washer is fully on there, no problem. The instant he pulls the plug off and tries to put the new one in it's place, the thing spews oil everywhere. Not like a mild drain effect, this thing was an oil geyser. We're both surprised, put it on the ground, and even after nearly a quart of oil came out of the thing before the new plug was in place, it's showing what looks to be a quart over full. They drained the excess, and I went on my merry way. We had to get Hyundai corporate involved, and they ended up admitting they screwed up and refunded my money, though they initially tried to claim that they did nothing wrong and it was all my imagination, not realizing that the guys in Farmington had taken exceedingly good notes.

TL;DR: Because my dealership put me in a position to not be able to trust them, I'm now going to be in the habit of double-checking the work of my new dealership until I'm confident in their service.
I always do my own maintenance if I can.
One year I took my 1988 Honda Civic hatchback for an oil change and a rookie mechanic did it, and on the way home my low oil light on the dash came on and I pulled over tight away, and looked down the street and saw a trail of oil.
Had it towed back to the repair shop where they discovered that the oil filter had 2 gaskets.
Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
In actuality it's been engineered for with most GDI engines, Hyundai included. Some GDI's produce considerable fuel dilution which actually raises the oil level in the crankcase. You can actually overfill the crankcase as much as 1/2 quart and have no ill effects.

If it really bothers you, just purchase a dipstick siphon and remove the excess oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts