Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,133 Posts
Well considering the NGS is simply a overboost button I don't believe it will be a match for either a JB4 or ECU tune. Any given proper ECU tune can produce up to 260 - 275 whp depending upon the tune for a non modified VN. A JB4 will increase whp to around 260 whp, without any other modifications. Where as a stock DSG or MT will produce between 243 and 246 whp.

So to put it mildly, I think you'll be quite disappointed if up against either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well considering the NGS is simply a overboost button I don't believe it will be a match for either a JB4 or ECU tune. Any given proper ECU tune can produce up to 260 - 275 whp depending upon the tune for a non modified VN. A JB4 will increase whp to around 260 whp, without any other modifications. Where as a stock DSG or MT will produce between 243 and 246 whp.

So to put it mildly, I think you'll be quite disappointed if up against either.
"Simply an overboost button" is an understatement, it's a new tool from the "N" toolbox and it would be interesting to see the difference, ether way I wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Banned
4,133 Posts
Yes sir, that's it and no not and understatement, just what is publicized and known. It simply allows the boost to be held longer thru the rpm range, which increases peak torque from 260 lb-ft to 278 lb-ft for up to 20 seconds.
The cluster is illuminated with a high-performance driving technology called N Grin Shift (NGS). This is a function similar to the Sport Chrono package applied to Porsche, and is an ‘overboost’ function that temporarily boosts vehicle performance. Based on the position of the NGS button, it seems to replace the rev matching function of the Veloster N manual transmission model.
https://www.hyundai.com/contents/repn-car/catalog_en/veloster-n-catalog.pdf
A 30 whp difference is a lot by comparison. For example; Think of a road racing bicycle vs a 30 hp motorcycle with 30 ft lbs+ peak torque, this will demonstrate the performance difference. As quick as the motorcycle will pull away from the bicycle, so will be the difference with a tuned VN vs a stock VN.

A piggyback tuned VN will produce over ; 307+ ft lb of torque, with no other modification. Which is 30 ft lb over the stock VN with NGS. With a stage 1 high torque ECU tune; it's a 50+ ft lb torque difference, with no other modification.

Just attempting to put the differential in perspective. There is a considerable performance differential between the two.(y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, mine is new so I 'm still in break-in mode. It was my understanding that the boost goes from 15ish to 21 lbs of boost in "grin mode"....so this is NOT the case? Who sells the "hi torque ECU " that comes with a tune and is it available for the DCT cars?

·
Banned
4,133 Posts
No, just torque being held longer thru the rpm range which will produce additional torque.

The only one available is thru SXTH Element. They are a good solid tune;
I believe they out of stock at the moment.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Veloster N
47 Posts
"Simply an overboost button" is an understatement, it's a new tool from the "N" toolbox and it would be interesting to see the difference, ether way I wouldn't be disappointed.
I personally have a jb4 N MT that’s FBO, and I’ve driven a new dct N. There is no comparison, I barely even noticed any gains when pressing the NGS button.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally have a jb4 N MT that’s FBO, and I’ve driven a new dct N. There is no comparison, I barely even noticed any gains when pressing the NGS button.
Thanks for the input, after installing the JB4 does it only function in one specific "mode"? in other words do you still have "eco mode" if it was set up in "custom mode"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes sir, that's it and no not and understatement, just what is publicized and known. It simply allows the boost to be held longer thru the rpm range, which increases peak torque from 260 lb-ft to 278 lb-ft for up to 20 seconds.
https://www.hyundai.com/contents/repn-car/catalog_en/veloster-n-catalog.pdf
A 30 whp difference is a lot by comparison. For example; Think of a road racing bicycle vs a 30 hp motorcycle with 30 ft lbs+ peak torque, this will demonstrate the performance difference. As quick as the motorcycle will pull away from the bicycle, so will be the difference with a tuned VN vs a stock VN.

A piggyback tuned VN will produce over ; 307+ ft lb of torque, with no other modification. Which is 30 ft lb over the stock VN with NGS. With a stage 1 high torque ECU tune; it's a 50+ ft lb torque difference, with no other modification.

Just attempting to put the differential in perspective. There is a considerable performance differential between the two.(y)
I can make more torque on my bicycle than most motorcycles could ever dream of making. HP though....I max out at about 1HP for 1minute.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts