Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not. And it wasn't even close.

Did a SCCA Time Trials at Putnam Park in Indiana yesterday. We have four "practice" sessions and the two timed ones so I had time to do some testing with my 2021 DCT N. I tried letting the car shift for me and I tried shifting manually using my flappy paddles. Without fail, the car was better than me by almost a second a lap.

I prefer flicking through my own gears, but the data didn't lie, so during the timed sessions I let the car make the decisions to optimize lap times.

Anyone else care to weigh in? What are your results?

P.S. For what its worth, I finally got to use NGS. Since my first hot lap was usually my best, I used my "push-to-pass" as soon as I came out of the final corner heading down the long straight. I deactivated right before braking for corner 1 saving about 8 seconds to use when I came around the final corner headed to the line at the tail end of my fast lap. Doing this took about .8 seconds off my previous best lap.

P.P.S. I passed a Shelby GT350 in anger. Okay, it was still damp from a pre-run rain... Still it was nice getting a point by from that car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe there is a review by engineering explained on YouTube who said that a professional race car driver found that track sense matched his best lap times. The computers are adept at knowing optimal shift points after it experiences a lap or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe there is a review by engineering explained on YouTube who said that a professional race car driver found that track sense matched his best lap times. The computers are adept at knowing optimal shift points after it experiences a lap or two.
Oh wow! When I was on NJMP I was just amazed. The car was driving me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Probably is down to your own "track sense", lol. All it does is pick the right gears after all, not really rocket science.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha! Your name made me smile!
Yeah the DCT is great but I do worry about the power shifting and long term durability of the transmission given the added stress.
Ha glad you like the name! (Love making people smile!)True, plus once everyone adds power and torque and numerous track days over the years. It might not hold up. But even if it need a transmission I’ll keep her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts