Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a custom exhaust made. I deleted the resonator on the mid pipe and I had a flowmaster dbx welded in its place. We removed the stock muffler as well and from the flowmaster muffler mounted at the mid pipe we ran a Y pipe out both sides.

I used aluminized steel. Not 409 or 304.

I used 2.5 piping everywhere and black quad tips (2x each side) measuring 2.5 a piece. I used 2.5 to retain a little back pressure instead of going 3 inch all the way around.

The car is not as loud as what it was. However, that also was not my goal. I would of went with a more aggressive borla and magnaflow muffler if I wanted that. However, I really like the tone of the exhaust and it seems to fit the car well.

I almost went with Flowmaster super 10
or super 44 mufflers ( and would of went that way if loudness was the goal) but those aren’t ideal for turbocharging applications so I decided to trust the engineers and the DBX is more ideal for turbo applications.

Left the sensors connected and welded them in place. NO CEL.

Car feels and sounds amazing under WOT.

For the muffler, piping, tips, and installation at local shop the whole thing cost me 825.

It would of cost 525 if i used OEM tips which they said they could. However, I just wanted to try something different with black quad tips.

You could have the same setup as mine and use OE tips and save 300.

Not bad at all for something custom and unique. Muffler has warranty from flowmaster. Labor and other parts come with 3 year warranty from shop who installed it.

I will get you sound clips on Thursday when I have time to upload.

Here is the website of the shop who did the work. A nice group of guys.

Kinneysmufflershop.com

Peace,
-JE

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
What happened to the Borla? The exhaust you had made seems great btw! (y)

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happened to the Borla? The exhaust you had made seems great btw! (y)

Best regards,

-Mike
Never had the borla! It’s amazing form what I’ve read and heard though. As with all exhaust systems - some things are best experienced in person.

-JE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very interested to hear it. Can you post a pic of under the car where the stock axleback used to be, which I understand is now a Y-pipe with just tubing?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interested to hear it. Can you post a pic of under the car where the stock axleback used to be, which I understand is now a Y-pipe with just tubing?
Yes sir will do. I’ll post it on Thursday when I upload sound videos. Yes it is a Y pipe made from 2.5 in aluminized steel.

Here is a pic when we originally did single exit. We were experimenting w sound quality with a single exit pipe and diff size tips (2.5/3.5/5 outlet) but the single w 2.5 tips had a bit too much raspiness.

Based off their experience they said the y pipe would eliminate that and also help all around. The Y pipe now starts where oem pipe and black pipe meet. The y pipe helped give it more depth and that coupled with the 2.5 tips makes the sound come out very sharp and distinct w no buzz verse the larger tips.

-JE

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I HAVE ATTACHED 5-6 pictures showing the exhaust and it’s design and attached 3 sound clips.

The sound under load when driving seems to be not as loud, but more smooth and consistent if that makes sense. It seems like this muffler gave the sound more depth and body but not more volume.

I really like the way it sound between 2-4K rpm in everyday driving. I especially like the sound in downshifts and when letting the car unwind and decelerate through the gears.

there is more drone than the stock unit. I will also say it seems to make the car considerably faster. This is the butt dyno so feel free to disregard but it feels considerably faster. I’d say in total it feels like 15-20hp gain.

At some point I’ll get to a dyno and confirm or get that denied.

Freeing up the exhaust on the back side feels like the car and whole turbocharging system is working more effectively. The net gain of exhaust mod plus my forge intake and inlet pipe really seems to be working well as a unit now. It’s like having things freed up in the front and rear is really allowing the car to breathe better.

Total weight savings am estimating to be around 30 pounds.

Veloster N Flowmaster Exhaust

Veloster N Inside Car

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it’s eliminated the pops and crackles? Was this what you were expecting?

Any droning at highway speeds?
Hey @RedVN . It hs not eliminated the pops and crackles they are still there. Yes, there is droning. I would say there is more than stock. Most noticeable in highway driving over 70mph. If the revs are below 2800 the droning is not too bad or noticeable. Over 3k is where it seems to be a much larger difference.

I was hoping for a smoother sound, not necessarily a louder or deeper/throatier sound. I have no doubt that is what the Borla does excellently. However, I was wanting to go another way and make the car sound more import/sporty but not necessarily more raspy. I really like the way the flowmaster dbx sounds when driving as it is cylindrical, straight through, and made for tubocharged and import applications. It is a different personality than stock but I'm not sure I posess the vocabulary to adequately describe it.

On the flowmater site of there 20 mufflers this falls right in the middle with a mild sound rating.

More than happy to answer any more questions.

-JE

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you no, I just didn’t notice them in the videos.
I’ve only noticed them while the car is driving and not revving at idle. Still the same amount when coming off throttle at high rpm and letting the engine unwind. Also still does them under spirited driving.

Also in the videos I never revved over 3800. Perhaps I should try again with higher revs?

-JE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Freeing up ~30lbs or so is a pretty good improvement, especially when much of it is behind the rear wheels.

Do you think there would be space to put the muffler on only one of the two pipes after the Y, so that the stock exhaust valve could be implemented on the other side of the Y? This would essentially allow for a muffled side in Normal mode and practically a straight pipe in N mode. Looks like it could fit but may run a little low on the bottom. Still, I'm intrigued...

Getting up to 5-6k rpm at idle should get you lots of pops, if you're inclined to take another video.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pics! Freeing up ~30lbs or so is a pretty good improvement, especially when much of it is behind the rear wheels.

Do you think there would be space to put the muffler on only one of the two pipes after the Y, so that the stock exhaust valve could be implemented on the other side of the Y? This would essentially allow for a muffled side in Normal mode and practically a straight pipe in N mode. Looks like it could fit but may run a little low on the bottom. Still, I'm intrigued...

Getting up to 5-6k rpm at idle should get you lots of pops, if you're inclined to take another video.
I imagine it would fit. I had considered leaving the stock resonator and just using a y pipe and doing two flowmasters mufflers on each side of the y pipe but I thought they may too much of a reduction in sound.

Clever idea by you!

-JE

·
Registered
2021 Veloster n pp
1 Posts
Hey did you leave the active exhaust baffle installed or does it matter if it's plugged in. Just got my n and looking at doing something similar to yours but with a super 10

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just to let you know for the future, specifically turbo cars don’t need/want backpressure. More exhaust sooner=more spool.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just to let you know for the future, specifically turbo cars don’t need/want backpressure. More exhaust sooner=more spool.
By backpressure I mean bigger isn’t always better. I went back and re read my post and see I worded it poorly. You are right in they don’t need or want back pressure.

The pipe diameter and muffler design has a specific correlation to the turbo size to optimize where the power is delivered. If I went with bigger pipes I would of had more power up top and later in the range. It’s all give and take. You are just moving the power band around.

You cant just bolt up any size pipe to any size turbo and expect improvements. The shop I went to has been studying and designing custom exhaust setups and for over 35 years on NA and turbo setups from old school muscle cars to McLaren. There is a sweet spot for engine output and knowing what you want is ideal.

If my car had an aftermarket DP and tune then I would of went 3 in exhaust - but I don’t and that would of came at the expense of fuel economy.

Here is a link to a good article. Exhaust Pipes: Is Bigger Better?

-JE

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey did you leave the active exhaust baffle installed or does it matter if it's plugged in. Just got my n and looking at doing something similar to yours but with a super 10
Hey what’s up man. I almost went with the super 10— I love that muffler but it isn’t ideal for turbo setup, but again, the difference is probably negligible so not even worth mentioning.

We left the active exhaust plugged in and mounted it to the frame that way no code was thrown.

-JE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts