Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my N on August 5th, and so far I’ve put about 2500 miles on it. After only owning the car for 3 weeks, I’ve already got two giant cracks spreading across the windshield.

This is my daily, and I do drive a lot for work, so it is inevitable that eventually I’d get some rock chips. That being said, the 2 times that rocks did bounce up into my windshield immediately resulted in cracks rapidly spreading across the windshield. There are obviously a number of factors that could be at play here; low quality windshield from the factory (if that’s even a thing, the angle of the windshield, or just flat out bad luck.... I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with their windshield cracking after what seemed like just a minor impact from a rock that was thrown up by another vehicle?

·
Registered
876 Posts
There are no minor impacts from stones. I 've replace them on everything from Porsches, Mercedes Benz, Audi and Lexus. They're all the same. It's more dependant where the stone impacts. On or near a corner or edge will cause any windshield to fracture. More to the center or away from the edge, you'll get bullseye, angel wings, stars, combos, etc. Any damage bigger than a quarter in diameter, require a windshield replacement.

Also keep in mind the windshield is a structural member of the unibody. If you continue to drive on damage larger than a quarter, it will eventually cause a crack or fracture. If the damage is thru the laminate, into the glass it calls for a replacement as well.

The type of damage incurred, is more dependant upon the vehicle's windshield degree slope and the road irregularities. Rough roads will transmit jaring thru the unit body to the windshield causing increased damage. My wifes car is on her second windshield. in 6 months. First was a hit to the drivers edge and the crack across the windshield was immediate. Second, had an angel wing crack thru the laminate. She drove it for a week without further damage, before it was replaced. No repair as it was nearly the size of a quarter.

Some states insurers, replace them without a deductible cost and others do not. All repairs are paid for by your insurer if you report them. Will not affect your insured rate. For a replacement for the VN, plan on around $700.00 +or-. Safelite will be the most expensive and safest as you can elect to have an OEM replacement. A Hyundai VN windshield, will cost around $510.00 + or - .

Safelite will charge you; $1,200

A reputable installer in your town, who will reprimer the window track, replace with the proper molding & weather stripping, will charge you around $700.00.

Windshield glass is laminated glass. It's approved by the NHTSA and there are no differences in this basic manufacturing technique. There's really no such thing as a low quality OEM windshield. Aftermarket, yes OEM, no. It's just the breaks, so to speak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, thanks! I kinda figured that’d be the case.

I don’t think the ridiculous temperature changes where I’m at from day to night have done me any favors either...

Just sucks that the money I had planned to spend on go-fast bits is instead going to have to go towards a new windshield.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts