Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since its a little complicated w/ COVID precautions to get seat time, does anyone know off hand how these stack up from a comfort aspect between the R-spec, N, and N Performance Pack?

I understand the R-spec doesn't have an active suspension, but are the springs/valving as soft as the N on softest setting? Also, does the PP make the ride noticeably harder with the +1 wheels? Any difference in seat comfort?

I find the R-spec an attractive price, and honestly even that would probably be fast enough as I'm just looking for a spunky daily driver with a manual transmission for fun, but I don't want to be beaten up with the often broken pavement we have around here. Thoughts on best option, or are they all a bit too stiff compared to say a GLI or GTI with the active suspension? The GLI in particular is supposed to have comfy seats with electrically adjustable bolstering, but lacks hatchback practicality.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may be able to help here as the owner of a Veloster N PP. I also test-drove a non-PP and a R-Spec prior to buying just to get a feel for the Veloster when early availability was limited. I previously owned a '16 GTI. The Veloster N definitely is more performance-oriented than the GTI or R-Spec, which means it can feel less refined and the suspension harsher; I can't imagine buying a Veloster N to only/mostly use the softest suspension settings all the time, feels like a waste of the car's potential (just my opinion).

I think the R-Spec would have adequate power and features for a daily driver, but the GTI certainly has a higher-quality interior. I eventually grew to dislike the feel of the GTI's manual transmission, even after making some modifications. The GTI has a more "disconnected" feel meaning not as raw as the Veloster N, but I was OK with that rawness...seems like you may be looking for the opposite. I also had a MINI Hardtop JCW which offers a fair amount of performance, technology, interior quality, manual transmission fun...if you can get comfortable with the small size and quirkiness of driving a MINI; I liked that MINI way more than my GTI.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, the Mini JCW is one I've actually driven and was interested in, but ultimately I found the suspension was a bit too crashy over broken pavement, and was looking for something a little more compliant so passed on it. Sounds like I'll need to go ahead and schedule a R-Spec test drive then, thanks! I just wanted to check as sometimes I've learned the lower models can be harsher than the higher performance models, like my dad's Scat Pack is actually harsher than the higher performance SRT version that has adaptive dampers, at least when the SRT was set to comfort which was much nicer ride than the Scat Pack which is just stiff all the time, so was curious if the same thing happens with the R-Spec or not.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I switched to 18's a few weeks after buying so my impressions were from a short sample. I found myself in Normal suspension mode most of the time due to impact harshness. But once I switched to 18's I found that I preferred the Sport suspension setting. The difference wasn't substantial but was just enough to change the feel of the car (or possibly just the lighter weight was easier for the suspension to control)

I understand what you mean by expecting a more comfortable ride in the softest setting with adaptive dampers (vs fixed in the R Spec) but in this case I wouldn't call the Normal setting a comfort mode really, especially on 19's.

I've not driven the R Spec so can't really give a good comparison.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Get the R-spec if you want fun practical hatchback. you can find these for 8K cheaper then the N. everyone who has one always says it feels way faster then the horsepower suggests and they fall in love with it. the N is the next level, but you might be wasting your money if you are think of dialing down the N's suspension.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't speak on the other models as I've only ever driven my Veloster N PP.

But I do daily drive my N and it's been great for me even on the horrible roads in long island, ny.

I don't know if it's because I came from an old jetta with a crappy suspension, but the car in Normal mode (or Normal suspension in Custom) feels very smooth to me.

I'm a bit crazy because I drive the car in N mode most of the time, but to me it's a very significant difference when the car is in Normal. It's much more buttery and comfortable.

And a helluva a lot smoother than an '04 Jetta. 😅

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get the R-spec if you want fun practical hatchback. you can find these for 8K cheaper then the N. everyone who has one always says it feels way faster then the horsepower suggests and they fall in love with it. the N is the next level, but you might be wasting your money if you are think of dialing down the N's suspension.
Totally agree. When I bought my N there was a R-spec there and even though I knew I wanted the N I test drove the R-spec with a salesman encouraging me to beat the $%#@ out of it. I found it to be punchy and definitely a fun vehicle. If I knew I wasn't going to put my car on a track or autocross it and was going to just use my car as a fun daily I really believe I would have got the R-spec, saved myself a few thousand dollars and probably gotten way better gas mileage (I haven't been able to stay in Eco or Normal mode for more than a minute or 2 due to my lack of maturity😁).

·
Registered
54 Posts
So what happened? I owned the 2020 R Spec for six months before upgrading to the VN PP about a month ago. The R Spec was great. Like the other posts say... punchy and nimble. Every road feels like a race track. The short throw shifter was smooth, but not butter smooth like the N (the throw distance feels about the same for each, but the N stick is better positioned). The odd gears were hard to reach in the R Spec. Reverse is much easier to engage in the N. I never ragged either car out. I'm in the anti-redline group, but of course I get close sometimes. The R Spec crushes 3rd and 4th gear. The N crushes ALL gears. I can jump from 65 mph to 100 mph in 6th easy in the N.

I routinely got 33-36 mpg in the R Spec and I drive fast (again, I didn't rag it out, but 80 - 95 mph on the turnpike for 30 miles). 38 mpg if i was cruising at 60-65 mph. 30.2 mpg is the best in the N (60 mi drive), but only 1500 mi in so far. Aiming for 30 mpg overall.

Comfort? I prefer the VN over the R Spec. Close in normal mode for each, but smoother around curves with the N. Obvs. Corner carving and such.

I loved Sport mode in the R Spec. I'd punch that button and own on-ramps and wink at the saps that I blew past. But then I'd realize the N exists. Then I'd frown.

The most important thing I do: show respect to ALL drivers.

Be safe. Mask up!

B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts