Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 PP N with about 1800 miles.
For the last week at first start (cold) the engine tries to come on and starts choking. A little back and forth from the engine while holding the button and after about 2-3 seconds it turns on. Once on it revs/idles funny for another second and then all is normal. Very strange behavior.

Temps at startup aren't that cold per say, between 40F - 45F in the morning.
No engine mods except for Turbosmart dual port bov.

Any ideas, thoughts of feedback? I'm stumped...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the same issue along with a stronger than normal gas smell. Fuel pump losing prime or leaky fuel injector or both are my suspicion. I've yet to bite the bullet and harass the dealer again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same issue along with a stronger than normal gas smell. Fuel pump losing prime or leaky fuel injector or both are my suspicion. I've yet to bite the bullet and harass the dealer again.
So odd though, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
The VN subreddit is full of posts with people complaining about rough cold starts. Seems to be a common issue with these cars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fuel pump losing prime or leaky fuel injector or both are my suspicion.
It's the high pressure portion of the fuel system losing pressure while the car is sitting for long periods. Because that portion of the system uses a mechanical pump (the thing under foam on the top of the valve cover), it has to stumble for a few seconds before it can build any pressure. It's not really a "problem" just an annoyance. My VN PP has done it a few times and my Elantra GT with the 1.6T did it quite a bit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's the high pressure portion of the fuel system losing pressure while the car is sitting for long periods. Because that portion of the system uses a mechanical pump (the thing under foam on the top of the valve cover), it has to stumble for a few seconds before it can build any pressure. It's not really a "problem" just an annoyance. My VN PP has done it a few times and my Elantra GT with the 1.6T did it quite a bit.
That would make sense. Was it the dealer that determined this? I found it really odd when I went away for vacation for a week the car started right up when I got back. Then the very next day it turned over like a 50 year old jalopy.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
154 Posts
Used to have this problem. Then I popped pending code P0088 (no CEL) and dealer replaced my high pressure fuel pump.

I've not had this happen ever since.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That would make sense. Was it the dealer that determined this? I found it really odd when I went away for vacation for a week the car started right up when I got back. Then the very next day it turned over like a 50 year old jalopy.
I've never taken my car to the dealer for it. I think someone on the FB group mentioned it. It's really the only reasonable explanation though. If you hook an OBDII multigauge up, the fuel pressure is right where it should be when the car is running. And if the injectors were leaking you'd probably smell raw gas in the exhaust. A finicky anti-drainback valve is the only plausible explanation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Except that I drive the car every single day, it doesn't sit for long periods. Unless of course they consider being parked for 12 hours a long period, lol.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've never taken my car to the dealer for it. I think someone on the FB group mentioned it. It's really the only reasonable explanation though. If you hook an OBDII multigauge up, the fuel pressure is right where it should be when the car is running. And if the injectors were leaking you'd probably smell raw gas in the exhaust. A finicky anti-drainback valve is the only plausible explanation.
I actually do smell gas as well.
Maybe that will be my saving grace, easy replacement. ;)
I've checked for codes with the torque app. Nothing pending.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Except that I drive the car every single day, it doesn't sit for long periods. Unless of course they consider being parked for 12 hours a long period, lol.
My Elantra would do it multiple times per day sometimes. By "long periods" I mean a couple hours.

·
Registered
622 Posts
New Veloster N owner here and experienced the issue with about 800 miles on the odometer. Just took it into the dealer and they are saying it’s common and normal on the N models. I don’t buy that explanation, but that’s what they say nonetheless.

·
Registered
375 Posts
New Veloster N owner here and experienced the issue with about 800 miles on the odometer. Just took it into the dealer and they are saying it’s common and normal on the N models. I don’t buy that explanation, but that’s what they say nonetheless.
Yea that's bogus. Common does not equal normal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's just an awful thing to say from a dealer. Ugh...

·
Registered
622 Posts
I’m not going to worry about it at this point. Hyundai has an excellent warranty and though I don’t relish the thought of taking it back to the dealer if the problem recurs, at least it will be covered.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts