Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just completed the install on this. Takes about 5 minutes. :smile_big:

I had to purchase another o ring to use it properly as this is for a Nissan 370Z. They do not make one for the Hyundai so I guinea pigged this for the N community... lol... I will supply the links to both the o rings and the breather for anyone who wants to do this. The nice thing about this is it has a checkball and is closed for when the engine needs vacuum and when there is too much crankcase pressure it let's it vent out. I'm just trying to further prevent typical GDI carbon build up. And hood clearance is not a problem. I already checked it by taking a long piece of electrical tape and putting it across the top of the cap (sticky side up) at it's highest point and shut the hood. The tape stayed on top of the cap and did not stick to the hood. I know this is probably overkill since I have a catch can but I am paranoid and it looks cool anyways!!! ;)

Can't really use engine cover unless you want to trim it. I left mine off. The engine compartment on this Hyundai N is sealed pretty good so I am not really concerned with a ton of dirt. Doesn't get driven in the winter anyways.

https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/CFM-Performance-Billet-Valve-Cover-Breather-for-2009-Nissan-370Z-768p2193.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-1-1-2-O-D-3-16-C-S-70-Durometer-Nitrile-O-Ring-H-320/190548651350?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Any questions, just ask.

Best regards,

-Mike

Attachments

Reactions: RedVN

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just got back from a 10 mile drive and everything was just fine. No oil leakage and the car ran flawless. Ran one on a 2.0L Turboed Ford Fusion for over 2.5 years, no ill effects.

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there is oil smell, I can't smell it. The baffle and the filter take care most of that. Also, there is not a lot of oil residue that gets on the motor. It takes like 6 months for anything to show. I am the type of guy that wipes the engine compartment down at least once a month anyways. Oil all over the motor was never a problem when I ran one in my old Fusion. Hope this helps.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
If there is oil smell, I can't smell it. The baffle and the filter take care most of that. Also, there is not a lot of oil residue that gets on the motor. It takes like 6 months for anything to show. I am the type of guy that wipes the engine compartment down at least once a month anyways. Oil all over the motor was never a problem when I ran one in my old Fusion. Hope this helps.

Br,

-Mike
This is a really nice setup. You've sold me man. I'm paranoid as well when it comes to my motor. I actually had looked for an oil cap vent a couple of months ago but definately did not find one with a one way valve AND baffles. And the fact that I can clean the filter on my own makes it perfect. I see no flaws with this setup here. Breather should also assist with engine performance. A quicker way to vent should only make the engine more efficient. This will also relieve some of the oil residue I had previously found in my breather tube. After I get my oil results back (to verify engine is optimal) I'm going to invest in one of these. Think I'm going to go with a red one. Is the Nissan version the closest fit to Hyundai's oil cap opening?

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thread size is the same as Hyundai's but the Breather has more threads on it, hence the different O-ring. The different O-ring is a must or it will not screw all the way down and make a seal. Unfortunately, they do not make this type of breather for a Hyundai but I was told a Nissan was the same thread size so I gave it a try. :)

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also give the car about 300 miles to learn anything new that I did. I will post again once I reach that number.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
What is the theory behind this? Does this prevent crankcase pressure from venting into the intake causing buildup on valves?

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the theory behind this? Does this prevent crankcase pressure from venting into the intake causing buildup on valves?
Right on!

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I may be running into an issue with this, I will post again tomorrow after work after I drive the car a few more miles. Hang in there....

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last night coming home from work I was getting a flat spot accelerating when taking off from a stop. The best thing I can describe it to is when a PCV air tube gets disconnected from a carburetor. It creates a vacuum leak and then there is a flat spot when pressing the gas.

This has been happening since about 100 to 150 miles after putting on the breather. I gave it the full 300 miles for the ECM to learn it too. I actually took it off last night when I got home so I can drive the car to work and back and see how it performed. No more flat spot.... I guess this is good if it's a track day only mod. At first the engine seemed fine but after a while I think the ECM was compensating for something. I am just going to run my catch can and call it a day.

If anyone want to try the breather out I'll sell you mine cheap with the o ring already on it.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RPMrush

·
Registered
128 Posts
Last night coming home from work I was getting a flat spot accelerating when taking off from a stop. The best thing I can describe it to is when a PCV air tube gets disconnected from a carburetor. It creates a vacuum leak and then there is a flat spot when pressing the gas.

This has been happening since about 100 to 150 miles after putting on the breather. I gave it the full 300 miles for the ECM to learn it too. I actually took it off last night when I got home so I can drive the car to work and back and see how it performed. No more flat spot.... I guess this is good if it's a track day only mod. At first the engine seemed fine but after a while I think the ECM was compensating for something. I am just going to run my catch can and call it a day.

If anyone want to try the breather out I'll sell you mine cheap with the o ring already on it.

Best regards,

-Mike
Thanks for the update ! Any progress with the garage line short shifter ?

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PM sent Red!

Avay,

The GarageLine short shifter is on back order. They just notified me today. They are supposed to e-mail me when it's available again. It is what it is, right?

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
PM sent Red!

Avay,

The GarageLine short shifter is on back order. They just notified me today. They are supposed to e-mail me when it's available again. It is what it is, right?

Br,

-Mike
Man that is annoying. You are absolutely right though haha. We will just have to wait.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Best regards,

-Mike
After thinking about this for a little bit what do you think is actually going on with the breather? Do you think it's just not sealing properly, or maybe there is too much pressure in the valve cover for the breather check ball to handle? Sounds like maybe it's venting when the ECU does not expect it to vent, thus it's cutting power as a safety mechanism?

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After thinking about this for a little bit what do you think is actually going on with the breather? Do you think it's just not sealing properly, or maybe there is too much pressure in the valve cover for the breather check ball to handle? Sounds like maybe it's venting when the ECU does not expect it to vent, thus it's cutting power as a safety mechanism?
I think it renders the PCV system useless. According to your data sheets I saw, the factory valve is always open to some degree. I think the breather is making the factory valve close since the breather is venting pretty much full time. The check ball may not be heavy enough. If it was heavier and only vented when there was too much pressure I bet I would not have that problem. Of course these are only guesses. I think since there is full time venting I am loosing pressure where it needs to be.

Red wants to experiment more so maybe he can figure it out. I guess we will see what happens.

Br,

-Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts