Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Not sure If anyone can help me but I am planning on getting a Ceramic Coating on my new Veloster N when I get it this week. So if anyone has a Ceramic Coating on their Veloster N and has Answers for my questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Any Recommendations of brands? (Ceramic Pro ?)

2. I live in Ontario, Canada and plan to drive my Veloster N year round so will this Ceramic Coating stop all scratches and swirl marks from the winter salt and sand beating on my paint?

I am suck on what I should do, basically I want to keep my Paint in the best condition I can (Especially Being a black car)

Note: I Always to touch less washes and use two buckets method ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Brandon,

This is my first black car, and like you mine will be a daily driver in a cold climate that includes lots of salt and grime in the winter. I'll be interested to see how things go for you with a harder surface treatment. It makes sense to try to protect the clearcoat that protects the paint since the clearcoat can easily be lightly scratched which is very visible on our black paint. I'm not sure that there are any downsides to using a more durable surface treatment. I haven't gone that far yet, but may do so before next winter.

For normal light wax after frequent washing I'm using. https://www.carguysdetail.com/products/hybrid-wax It is light, quick and easy.

For a more infrequent treatment, I'm using https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-black-wax-g6207-7-oz-cream
My thinking is that I wanted a very light cleaner type wax with a very light abrasive that with manual application could take out some of the light swirls without digging too far into the clearcoat. I also didn't want something with a heavy tint which might mask swirls but would also mask visual depth. So far I'm happy with the results. It doesn't do much for the heavier swirl marks but it doesn't seem too harsh for long term use.

As for the wash, I wanted to try to eliminate any residue in the wash action that could create swirl marks, so I picked up a foam cannon setup. This works fine for removing surface salt and road residue but doesn't get the final thin film of dirt. To get this last layer I'm using https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine1 with nothing but clean single pass rags. This seems to work well and I haven't noticed any scratching from this step. For the drying, I'm using a combination of a leaf blower followed by waffle weave towels.

Good luck with you your black VN. It is more work, but looks great as a result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brandon,

This is my first black car, and like you mine will be a daily driver in a cold climate that includes lots of salt and grime in the winter. I'll be interested to see how things go for you with a harder surface treatment. It makes sense to try to protect the clearcoat that protects the paint since the clearcoat can easily be lightly scratched which is very visible on our black paint. I'm not sure that there are any downsides to using a more durable surface treatment. I haven't gone that far yet, but may do so before next winter.

For normal light wax after frequent washing I'm using. https://www.carguysdetail.com/products/hybrid-wax It is light, quick and easy.

For a more infrequent treatment, I'm using https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-black-wax-g6207-7-oz-cream
My thinking is that I wanted a very light cleaner type wax with a very light abrasive that with manual application could take out some of the light swirls without digging too far into the clearcoat. I also didn't want something with a heavy tint which might mask swirls but would also mask visual depth. So far I'm happy with the results. It doesn't do much for the heavier swirl marks but it doesn't seem too harsh for long term use.

As for the wash, I wanted to try to eliminate any residue in the wash action that could create swirl marks, so I picked up a foam cannon setup. This works fine for removing surface salt and road residue but doesn't get the final thin film of dirt. To get this last layer I'm using https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine1 with nothing but clean single pass rags. This seems to work well and I haven't noticed any scratching from this step. For the drying, I'm using a combination of a leaf blower followed by waffle weave towels.

Good luck with you your black VN. It is more work, but looks great as a result.
Thanks for the products will defiantly check them out! Buying a Foam cannon this week which will hopefully help with the cleaning process. Thankfully winter is almost over so I will have some time to make my decision for a Ceramic Coating.

Would love to see some pictures of your car !! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had Opti-coat Pro on two previous cars. It feels slick to the touch. Dirt and grim barely stick and water beads right off. The car basically looks clean 10x longer than an untreated car. It will help with scuffs and scratches and water spotting but isn't able to repel damage from rocks flung by something like a truck.

A clear bra type film is better for that, but they can get damaged too and then are a total loss and very expensive to replace. In the end, I think a costing is a better value for a daily driven car.

If you have no issue with funds, get the front and hood covered in a film, then opti-coat everything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been using McKee's 37 ceramic coating on paint and clear-coated wheels for about a year and a half now. I like it because it is easy to apply yourself and I feel the price is pretty reasonable. Longevity is pretty good. I'll probably use this same ceramic on my N, after making any applicable corrections.

At least with the ceramics I have used, they noticeably reduce many of the surface blemishes, but do not eliminate them. It definitely reduces the surface imperfections caused during the winter months.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is the first black car I've owned, but I've heard how bad they can be to keep clean or scratch free. It wasn't a small investment but i had the gtechniq crystal serum ultra applied and am truly surprised how easy the car is to keep clean. Purchased the least expensive unlimited touchless wash plan from a local car wash and 2000 miles/3 months later it's still the cleanest car in the lot and hasn't had a single sponge or mitt touch it yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm intrigued.

I'd probably pay someone to do it for me, hoping it wouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks. With the black VN, anything to make it look glossier and easier to clean would be nice.

- Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in the GTA.
I had clear film done on bumper, front of hood and fenders then had the whole car ceramic coated.
I did a lot of research and went with IGL Quartz, body, glass, headlights and plastic trim.
Platinum auto detailing in Newmarket did an awesome job.
$1300ca including paint correction.
They even detailed the inside while waiting for the ceramic to cure.
Talk to Eon. He can also hook you up with the paint protection film.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FYI, I'm getting a Groupon ceramic coating for just $160. It is supposed to good for 1 year. My hopes are that it will me a taste of whether or not I want to put more bucks into this later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts