Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this guy on yt make popcorn with a catless downpipe and ive been interested ever since. I was eyeballing his but it seems a little ghetto cuz it doesn't have a built in o2 sensor solution and its in german or something.
But now i see this bad boy https://www.sxthelement.com/VelosterNCatlessDownpipe-p/14-03-200.htm
And im a little more exited. Its definitely got a price premium over the yt guys but seems like a more quality product overall. Any one else interested in this? Its still on pre order.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
I like this too but it's priced high. I am sure there will be a better priced down pipe at some point. I am waiting for a sub $500.00 DP. It's not rocket science and I think it is totally attainable. Just an honest opinion....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like this too but it's priced high. I am sure there will be a better priced down pipe at some point. I am waiting for a sub $500.00 DP. It's not rocket science and I think it is totally attainable. Just an honest opinion....

Best regards,

-Mike
Hopefully someone coughs up the dough and posts a video before i made my decision. For sub 500 theres this one
https://www.hdt-motorsport.de/heiss...lysator-hyundai-i30n?number=HDT-DP-i30N-CL-76
But again its in german or something, and you need to get an o2 sensor spacer to avoid a check engine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So im learning as i go, and have read that catless pretty much smells terrible and kills anything it touches (jk)
But that doesn't bother me to much (i think). Im interested in sound. I want to be loud in N mode and id like to be a little louder in normal but not annoying. Catless in normal from the 1 video ive been able to find seems perfect and on N it sounds like a war zone which i love. Although a high flow cat might provide a bit more comfort and health to the environment and myself, i wonder if its worth it depending on how much quieter it is. Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?
And what the **** does a flex pipe do and does it add at all to sound or significantly help with anything? And would running catless require a tune if i don't really care about power? I would like to make the car sound better without damaging the engine and i hear something different from every source.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully someone coughs up the dough and posts a video before i made my decision. For sub 500 theres this one
https://www.hdt-motorsport.de/heiss...lysator-hyundai-i30n?number=HDT-DP-i30N-CL-76
But again its in german or something, and you need to get an o2 sensor spacer to avoid a check engine.
You forgot the flex pipe portion of that DP. So, that an extra 229.00 Euro. The DP consists of two pieces, the 'catted' part, and then the flex pipe. So, it's double. The SXTH pipe is made into one piece, and cost is much more attractive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been around KDM for a while. I would stick to SXTH element. Good products, good customer service, and they put a lot of R&D into their products. Look into other KDM platforms and you'll see that they are regarded as high quality.

I don't work for them or care to plug them, but you'll see that it's a pretty limited aftermarket out there. I have an Elantra Sport, and I'm fully bolt on, and was tuned, no longer tuned. If I were to get tuned again I would be going with SXTH. I'll be moving into the N later next year, as I will trade my ES in.

Like I said I've been around the KDM scene for a while, and learned some hard lessons building a KDM car. When I get the N, I have the experience not to make the same mistakes again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been around KDM for a while. I would stick to SXTH element. Good products, good customer service, and they put a lot of R&D into their products. Look into other KDM plateforms and you'll see that their regarded as high quality.

I don't work for them or care to plug them, but you'll see that it's a pretty limited aftermarket out there. I have an Elantra Sport, and I'm fully bolt on, and was tuned, no longer tuned. If I were to get tuned again I would be going with SXTH. I'll be moving into the N later next year, as I will trade my ES in.

Like I said I've been around the KDM scene for a while, and learned some hard lessons building a car. When I get the N, I have the experience not to make the same mistakes again.
Just reading their description you can see the r&d. Their N intercooler is twice the size of oem and fits perfectly bolt on without shaving off anything like u kinda have to do with the forge. Its pricey but its for a reason i guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just look into the Elantra Sport page on their site. The Elantra Sport was the first of the 'modern' KDM platforms for major modding. You will see what products they have put together for that car. The N will follow suit.

It's pretty limited to a few select vendors (in North America)... Remember Hyundai is new to the game. So, it's not Honda or VW...

There is GFB that is also good, for a BOV, and I would be careful with the vendors supplying the i30N. They're in Europe, and the Euro is high, and shipping is expensive. If you have issues, it will be more frustrating to resolve.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just look into the Elantra Sport page on their site. The Elantra Sport was the first of the 'modern' KDM platforms for major modding. You will see what products they have put together for that car. The N will follow suit.

It's pretty limited to a few select vendors (in North America)... Remember Hyundai is new to the game. So, it's not Honda or VW...

There is GFB that is also good, for a BOV, and I would be careful with the vendors supplying the i30N. They're in Europe, and the Euro is high, and shipping is expensive. If you have issues, it will be more frustrating to resolve.
I have a soul turbo as well so ive been putting a bunch of stuff in my cart because they're litterally like the only company that acknowledges the soul turbo's existence as a "sports" car lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a soul turbo as well so ive been putting a bunch of stuff in my cart because they're litterally like the only company that acknowledges the soul turbo's existence as a "sports" car lol
Totally! I almost bought the Soul Turbo as well. But I already have a 2013, and Hyundai/Kia didn't change the chassis like this did with the Elantra Sport (rear suspension). I do really like the Soul Turbo!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Totally, SXTH is one of the only vendors that are very focused on KDM. Tanner is their sales guy, and he is on top of his game. Mark is their engineer, and I have been back and forth with him about their products and how great they are. They have recently hired a tuner, and a lot of guys with the Elantra Sport are going with SXTH, as they are providing Dyno Tuning and short of that data logging.

As for tuning, be very careful out there guys. The N is a brand new platform, and you don't want these tuners to be R&D'ing on your car. This is what happened with the Elantra Sport. I for one, had my DCT clutches blown out. If I were to do it all over again, I would be getting my car tuned by SXTH. I've driven a few SXTH tuned Elantra Sports, that were tuned via data logging with about 4-5 revisions, and they drove absolutely great. If anyone wants to know which tuners to be wary of, please PM me.

Back to SXTH, I have their Front Mount Intercooler, Dual Catch Cans. Both products are very high quality. I didn't go with their downpipe of other exhaust, as I had it custom made. I also had their rear sway bar, but I ended up getting a Veloster N rear sway bar installed on my car (the Velo N and Elantra Sport are the same chassis). I almost installed the Velo N motor mounts, but went with the N-Line mounts (stiffer), but the Velo N are further stiffer.

I I do get the Velo N, I'd go with their Catted Downpipe (because uncatted stinks like a SOB), hopefully they do a midpipe. I'd would keep the OEM muffler, as that is what I did with my Elantra Sport, as the muffler's note is very nice. I would do their FMIC, as they have put over a year of R&D into it, and their single catch can (dual is not necessary).

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Not really!

The 2.0 Theta II engine is completely different than the 1.6T Gamma II engine. Nothing crosses over mechanically. The Elantra Sport is a completely different chassis and car. SXTH Element isn't doing any data logging, as they're utilizing a donor cars, especially the VN. The individual who owns the VN donor car is pretty ignorant to such, as well.

Failing DCT dry clutch pack with an Elantra Sport was designed to handle power outputs from the factory and doesn't fair very well beyond them. Also, most owners drive them improperly, as they would a standard converter style transmission. Owners abuse and overheat the clutches, in slow stop and go traffic, by constantly riding the brake pedal. The Hyundai DCT dry clutch pack doesn't fair well to improper use or higher output engine modifications. An ECU tune has nothing to do with the DCT clutch packs failing.

There is a company who has a TCU tune available for the DCT but it still doesn't solve the problems of how it's being utilized by the owner.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase or utilize the SXTH Element CC system, as it mounts the CC's in the drivers front wheel well. Either SXTH Element Kits are not accessible for inspection or servicing on a regular basis. No r drains on the bottom of the cans, which requires the owner to remove the entire bottom of the can. A catch can kit rather it's; CCV or PVC needs to be placed in the engine bay, where is can stay warm and keep the fluid inside vicious, especially in the winter or colder weather.

@Boomba Racing and Forge Motorsports Catch Can systems, are about the best available for the VN. they're specifically engineered and manufactured for the VN and i30N. They have both CCV and PVC available.

SXTH Element doesn't have an exhaust available for the VN and is doubtful they will produce one. aFe Takeda does, which utilizes the OEM Exhaust Valve. This way the N-Mode button can be utilized as normal. As far as SXTH Element downpipe, it's only been advertised since their initial pre-release this past month and won't be available for delivery until January. No one has installed one as of this time and it's just been produced, so there is no long term testing data available.

Frankly, the Elantra Sport, GT and N-Line are completely different formats. The VN is still too new for most aftermarket manufactures but time will tell, as to who will pick up and run with it. Being one of the first to produce aftermarket parts for a particular format, certainly doesn't make you the best, it only makes you one of the first. SXTH element has only been around since 2017. We'll see how they develop and produce over the next few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not really!

Thank you for your reply RedVN

The 2.0 Theta II engine is completely different than the 1.6T Gamma II engine. Nothing crosses over mechanically. The Elantra Sport is a completely different chassis and car. SXTH Element isn't doing any data logging, as they're utilizing a donor cars, especially the VN. The individual who owns the VN donor car is pretty ignorant to such, as well.

Yes, it's a different engine. There are some minor parts that cross over. The motor mounts do for sure. I was going to install the N ones (as I had an issue with mine, as Hyundai didn't account for the extra torque from the 1.6 as they basically recycled the 2.0 NA mounts into the ES). I instead got the ESGT N-Line mounts, as I had stiffness data. I was never able to find data on the N motor mounts, but I would imagine that with a heavier engine with more torque that the mounts would have to be much stiffer.

Chassis wise, well, they're pretty close. I have a Velo N rear sway bar installed. Also, have Velo N wheels installed. Everything crosses over except the shocks as they're electronic. Physically they would fit, but no function of course. The front brakes fit as well, and they fit over the stock ES wheel as well.

In the rear suspension, the arms etc. are all the same. The front has some reinforcement on the arms, and there are some braces in the chassis in the exhaust well.

If SXTH isn't doing logging yet, they will. They have been doing it with the ES for a while. I guess it just takes time. A friend of mine just drove down to dyno tune his car at SXTH. Looking forward to talking to him about his experience.

Failing DCT dry clutch pack with an Elantra Sport was designed to handle power outputs from the factory and doesn't fair very well beyond them. Also, most owners drive them improperly, as they would a standard converter style transmission. Owners abuse and overheat the clutches, in slow stop and go traffic, by constantly riding the brake pedal. The Hyundai DCT dry clutch pack doesn't fair well to improper use or higher output engine modifications. An ECU tune has nothing to do with the DCT clutch packs failing.

Yes, many owners do not know what a DCT is, and don't drive accordingly. With the DCT ES, it is very highly recommended that they are dyno tuned to ensure the clutch packs can be protected from the torque spikes the smaller turbo the ES has. Canned tunes are a killer to them...

We have the former BTR tuner (who is no longer with BTR), fly in to a local shop here in Toronto, where the shop does weekend (usually the long weekends) tuning events. Gen Coups have been tuned the most, second would be the ES. There are many, many DCT ES' around that have been tune here that have their DCT's in good shape. It's just tuned accordingly. The DCT clutch packs can handle more torque, but it cannot come in as low end spikes.

There is a company who has a TCU tune available for the DCT but it still doesn't solve the problems of how it's being utilized by the owner.

No one has yet to provide a TCU tune. The only thing that has been offered is the redline lock being removed. There has been no shift logic reprogramming. We have also reached out to TVS Engineering who specialize in DSG tuning, but they were not interested. Perhaps with the Velo N DCT due to be released later this year, they would reconsider (as the i30N, would most likely receive a DCT as well over in Europe).

Personally, I wouldn't purchase or utilize the SXTH Element CC system, as it mounts the CC's in the drivers front wheel well. Either SXTH Element Kits are not accessible for inspection or servicing on a regular basis. No r drains on the bottom of the cans, which requires the owner to remove the entire bottom of the can. A catch can kit rather it's; CCV or PVC needs to be placed in the engine bay, where is can stay warm and keep the fluid inside vicious, especially in the winter or colder weather.

I did see their catch can set up. I did have a similar catch can set up (it was custom made), that was located in the driver's side bumper area. Yah, I had to remove that, as it was a pain in the ass. The engine bay in the N is a bit tight. The engine bay in the ES (being the same) has space as the 1.6 and its turbo location provides enough space to located them on the passenger side tower. SXTH's solution is a good one for the ES, but yah, I agree, not so good for the N.

@Boomba Racing and Forge Motorsports Catch Can systems, are about the best available for the VN. they're specifically engineered and manufactured for the VN and i30N. They have both CCV and PVC available.

SXTH Element doesn't have an exhaust available for the VN and is doubtful they will produce one. aFe Takeda does, which utilizes the OEM Exhaust Valve. This way the N-Mode button can be utilized as normal. As far as SXTH Element downpipe, it's only been advertised since their initial pre-release this past month and won't be available for delivery until January. No one has installed one as of this time and it's just been produced, so there is no long term testing data available.

On my ES, I ended up having my exhaust custom made. All 304 stainless, and it's great. The DP was a bit of a production. But if there is one already made then it's a bonus. So far I have only seen one guy with it (on FB). I'd like to see what the actual pipe looks like on SXTH's page, as for the moment it's just an image.

Since being the same as the i30N, I'm sure there will be tons of Euro vendors offering a solution. Perhaps even the N Performance option from Hyundai?!

Frankly, the Elantra Sport, GT and N-Line are completely different formats. The VN is still too new for most aftermarket manufactures but time will tell, as to who will pick up and run with it. Being one of the first to produce aftermarket parts for a particular format, certainly doesn't make you the best, it only makes you one of the first. SXTH element has only been around since 2017. We'll see how they develop and produce over the next few years.
I agree that being the first doesn't make you the best. In the ES platform there was one vendor that was the first, and they are pretty much ousted as a pretty bad vendor. But, SXTH is pretty good (well atleast in the ES platform). But to be fair, there are a **** of a lot of ES' out there. More than the VT2 and of course more than the N. The ES is a bit more practical, as it's a sedan and attractive to more buyers, so there are many more out there.

The N is a 'thoroughbred'. It will be like the Golf R or the Type R. There will be vendors dedicating themselves to this platform.

Hopefully I can pick up an N this year now (it's now 2020)!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sxth seems to be doing proper r&d and ive heard great things about their customer service. I wouldnt say they're the first but they seem to be the first in the US to provide mass produced downpipes for the VN. Its not their first downpipe though, and again they seem to be doing alot of testing and r&d. I doubt they would release a half assed product intentionally when they are a fairly small company with so far a good reputation. I dont like the design of their catch can, the boomba seems better for that. I havnt seen too much about their tunes but they seem decent. I dont like the look of their intake, i prefer my forge. I am interested in their intercooler because it seems super simple to slap it on compared to other companies. All in all everything they provide seems good, maybe not the best, but they seem to do things properly. Im exited to see where they go from here.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts