Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT Red/Black
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been seeing a lot of discussions about catch cans on direct injection engines. I have a new 21 VN DCT and have been considering whether a catch can would be a good investment or not. You can find 'experts' who go both ways (good & bad). Figured I'd run it by the community and get some feedback. Also, since my car is so new, would installing that cause any part of my warranty to be voided? Appreciate any feedback - thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2 cents.
Catch cans are a positive. The residual gunk that would get put back into your turbo, intercooler, and intake is pretty nasty. From what I have seen across the web and what mine has in it, its a must.

If you look on the Hyundai VN Modification letter it actually calls them out as something that does not void the warranty.
Warranty.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT Red/Black
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2 cents.
Catch cans are a positive. The residual gunk that would get put back into your turbo, intercooler, and intake is pretty nasty. From what I have seen across the web and what mine has in it, its a must.

If you look on the Hyundai VN Modification letter it actually calls them out as something that does not void the warranty.
View attachment 5796
Thank you! That's exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for!

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
391 Posts
I consider an OCC a cheap must-have mod. My daughter just picked-up a 2022 Tucson hybrid SEL. I have looked twice and for the life of me I cannot find the PCV valve or line. Right on top is the vent to the turbo inlet, but I wonder if they hid this underneath? I have an extra OCC that I would like to install on it. I may have to crawl underneath or call the dealer. Nothing online yet related to that version of the 1.6T.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This just occurred to me. I had a turbo-side Jegs oil separator installed and after 10 months there was absolutely nothing in it. I have removed it since I believe that the valve cover must have some baffles internally to stop the oil from being sucked into the turbo inlet. My Gen Coupe absolutely needs the oil separator between the valve cover and the turbo inlet. On the intake-side I am catching the usual nasty stuff I don't want coating my intake valves.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Even with my SXTH PCV side can, I still notice oil going into the intake manifold and not a lot of stuff caught in the can. The intake side is totally fine though, I've never seen anything in it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I consider an OCC a cheap must-have mod. My daughter just picked-up a 2022 Tucson hybrid SEL. I have looked twice and for the life of me I cannot find the PCV valve or line. Right on top is the vent to the turbo inlet, but I wonder if they hid this underneath? I have an extra OCC that I would like to install on it. I may have to crawl underneath or call the dealer. Nothing online yet related to that version of the 1.6T.
The Tucson Hybrid utilizes the 1.6T and the PCV is located at part number 26740;

·
Registered
391 Posts
The turbo is in the back of the engine. Right on top of the valve cover is the line from the valve cover to the turbo intake. This drawing suggests a PCV valve in the front right of the engine. This is the same place as on my wife's Elantra. There is no such connection on the top of the valve cover on my daughter's Tucson. Not even on the side. Hers is a 2022 so there must be a difference. I have looked twice with a flashlight and I cannot find any sort of PCV valve or line. The 2021 is not the same as hers.

·
Registered
391 Posts

She stopped by quick and I looked again. I believe the PCV is in the right hand side just in back of the label and to the left of the finned silver piece on the right. I did not have time to remove it, but squeezing the tube suggested a PCV inside. I traced the line not to the intake manifold but a device on the right side of the turbo. Not sure that is the BOV or what. I traced the line to the spring clip so it does not wrap-around. It is a 1/2" line. If this was taking vacuum from the turbo inlet it would never go positive and the turbo outlet would be positive in a varying amount. This is not making much sense to me. The point is to scavenge the gases in the block and keep it under a vacuum. I have a shot from the side, but it is not much help. I need the engine manual to figure this out. Once I see the components it will make sense.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Catch cans are and always will be a toss up. Realistically, the best way to keep a DI engine clean is to run it hard. Get it hot so it burns off excess carbon or build up.

I personally don’t use catch cans because it introduces another possible point of failure in the already complex system. Not to mention the N engineers seem to have made the car run pretty hot, or at least easy to get to 200+ degrees so that burn off happens fairly easy.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Catch cans are and always will be a toss up. Realistically, the best way to keep a DI engine clean is to run it hard. Get it hot so it burns off excess carbon or build up.

I personally don’t use catch cans because it introduces another possible point of failure in the already complex system. Not to mention the N engineers seem to have made the car run pretty hot, or at least easy to get to 200+ degrees so that burn off happens fairly easy.
"Italian tune ups" work to some extent but the PCV and CVV cans will do the most for a tuned VN. The higher the boost pressure the more blowby the cylinders produce. Water, Fuel and Oil combined in a mist create carbon build up. With no fuel flow to was over the intake valves, this is a problems for most GDI's. Catching the mist before it coats the intakes valves with a CC is your best bet.

Do a BG GDI cleaning ever 20K with a modified or stock VN and there is no issue with carbon build up. (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts