Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I just installed the Add W1 v3 catch can in my N PP. There paper instructions had the inlet and outlet mislabled on the can. I ran the Inlet port to the PCV and the Outlet port to the intake manifold. I assume that is the correct way?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup! You got it! :)

-Mike
I figured, thanks. I kinda wish they would have included a right angle connection or something for the intake manifold connection, cause getting the outlet hose to make that downward bend kind of sucks. I noticed Boomba has you cut the stock hose in half to do exactly this, but I really didnt want to damage any stock parts in case I wanna remove it.

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
I went with a Mishimoto catch can. On one of the hoses it had a thicker 2 or 3 inch 90 degree bend for the intake manifold port. I like the clean look too so I am glad it was like that.

Glad everything went well for you.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with a Mishimoto catch can. On one of the hoses it had a thicker 2 or 3 inch 90 degree bend for the intake manifold port. I like the clean look too so I am glad it was like that.

Glad everything went well for you.

Br,

-Mike
Ah nice. I would consider buying like a right angle connection or something, but would have ZERO clue what to get, lol.

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
$hit, I'm not sure either. They do make ones with a bend on the end but I am unsure what size it is. Best thing to do is take a piece of the tube that currently fits, take it to the parts store and go get one with a bend on the end. I know they make them cuz it came in my Mishimoto kit. I have actually seen them at Advanced Auto. That should take care of it and clean it up a bit.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
A couple of things:

First, what was the resolution to the shaking? I've driven one black VN and it had this shaking, I believe. I felt it not only in the steering (you could physically see the wheel shaking a little if you took your hands off of it), but I also felt the shaking in the accelerator pedal.

Second, I just got off the phone with Mishimoto and they stated that the Veloster Turbo catch can IS NOT APPROVED to be ran with the VN. Take it for what it's worth, but they're supposed to email me and tell me what they're doing to get something out that is specifically designed for the VN.

-Sam

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
A couple of things:

First, what was the resolution to the shaking? I've driven one black VN and it had this shaking, I believe. I felt it not only in the steering (you could physically see the wheel shaking a little if you took your hands off of it), but I also felt the shaking in the accelerator pedal.

Second, I just got off the phone with Mishimoto and they stated that the Veloster Turbo catch can IS NOT APPROVED to be ran with the VN. Take it for what it's worth, but they're supposed to email me and tell me what they're doing to get something out that is specifically designed for the VN.

-Sam
What exact shaking are you referring to? Personally I had two instances of shaking:
  1. I had shaking in my steering wheel and pedal when I purchased the vehicle. The car was shaking so much the wheel was visibly moving back and forth. I did not get the car up to speeds above about 60mph during the test drive so did not notice the shaking. The result was me cursing the GM of the dealer out along with all the service techs and the sales manager. The tires were flatspotted. The sales manager and the techs knew that the tires were defective but refused to replace them. After getting in their ass they gave me two new tires. I then proceeded to contact Hyundai of America and threatened to sue them for the car being a lemon under Maryland state law. Corporate Hyundai promptly bought me another pair of tires. So now I have 6 summer tires all courtesy of Hyundai and the shaking went away.
  2. After installing my short shifter plate from Boomba I had shaking in my gear knob particularly while in 3rd gear. I installed a Turbo Tech Racing upper mount as well as a Boomba Rear Motor Mount (RMM) and the shaking went away completely after the poly settled.
Also, in regards to Mishimoto I'm not exactly sure what "NOT APPROVED" means. Does that mean that they just didnt test the catch can on the VN? I mean its a catch can though, just make sure the filter is clean for proper airflow and you will be just fine. I have had zero issues so far and caught a TON of oil. I clean my can every 10K miles with soap and water (recommended by Mishimoto). Furthermore, when I installed mine I called Mishimoto and they said I wouldn't have any problem running the Veloster Turbo can on the VN 🤷‍♂️. The only issue I could see would be proper airflow, but the hose sizes are the same and the can seals up very well. Again, I have had no problems or thrown codes. Anybody got any other thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
I agree with Avay. The catch can is just fine. Been running mine for almost 10K miles.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I agree with Avay. The catch can is just fine. Been running mine for almost 10K miles.

Br,

-Mike
Right. I'm not sure what issue you could possibly run into. By running the Mishimoto Veloster Turbo can I believe you are making a better choice in regards to quality over some other competitor cans and universal cans. I know I selected this particular can for the micron filter. At the time of purchase, it was the only can that I was comparing that actually had a filter and not just baffles or media. I said to myself if I was to get a can must come with a quality filter. And the can has performed better than I originally thought.

Maybe it's related to marketing? Because they could also make money making cans 'specifically' for the VN?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info about the shaking. It sounds very similar to the first VN I drove. I could see the shaking in the steering wheel (side to side) and I felt it in the accelerator pedal.

As far as what the deal is with the catch can, I don't know. That's the first thing that came out of the guy on the phone's mouth. No prompting him; he just said that it wouldn't work for some reason so I have no idea. Doesn't make sense to me either...

-Sam

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well as said earlier, here is my setup. I custom fabricated a bracket for this location and painted it. If ever released I hope this does not get in the way of the Takeda Intake. For some reason importing the pics it flipped them all upside down. Your input?
[/QUOT
Well as said earlier, here is my setup. I custom fabricated a bracket for this location and painted it. If ever released I hope this does not get in the way of the Takeda Intake. For some reason importing the pics it flipped them all upside down. Your input?
Could you tell me which model and manufacturer's oil can you used. Before I found your photo's, I looked in my engine bay and the spot you used seem to be the largest place available. The other was near the radiator overflow bottle. Is there a problem with the Hyundai warranty if you add this or do you remove it if you have to have some repairs on your VN.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
What exact shaking are you referring to? Personally I had two instances of shaking:
  1. I had shaking in my steering wheel and pedal when I purchased the vehicle. The car was shaking so much the wheel was visibly moving back and forth. I did not get the car up to speeds above about 60mph during the test drive so did not notice the shaking. The result was me cursing the GM of the dealer out along with all the service techs and the sales manager. The tires were flatspotted. The sales manager and the techs knew that the tires were defective but refused to replace them. After getting in their ass they gave me two new tires. I then proceeded to contact Hyundai of America and threatened to sue them for the car being a lemon under Maryland state law. Corporate Hyundai promptly bought me another pair of tires. So now I have 6 summer tires all courtesy of Hyundai and the shaking went away.
  2. After installing my short shifter plate from Boomba I had shaking in my gear knob particularly while in 3rd gear. I installed a Turbo Tech Racing upper mount as well as a Boomba Rear Motor Mount (RMM) and the shaking went away completely after the poly settled.
Also, in regards to Mishimoto I'm not exactly sure what "NOT APPROVED" means. Does that mean that they just didnt test the catch can on the VN? I mean its a catch can though, just make sure the filter is clean for proper airflow and you will be just fine. I have had zero issues so far and caught a TON of oil. I clean my can every 10K miles with soap and water (recommended by Mishimoto). Furthermore, when I installed mine I called Mishimoto and they said I wouldn't have any problem running the Veloster Turbo can on the VN 🤷‍♂️. The only issue I could see would be proper airflow, but the hose sizes are the same and the can seals up very well. Again, I have had no problems or thrown codes. Anybody got any other thoughts?
I email Mishimoto about the oil catch can for the 1.6 liter turbo, all they wrote back and said they have not tested for the VN. Like you said, it does not say it does not work only that they have not tried it/tested. So if people have run it and it is not does something unusual it basically okay. There are other brands which just say use it for any car and it seems to work. Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #175 (Edited)
Thanks for the info about the shaking. It sounds very similar to the first VN I drove. I could see the shaking in the steering wheel (side to side) and I felt it in the accelerator pedal.

As far as what the deal is with the catch can, I don't know. That's the first thing that came out of the guy on the phone's mouth. No prompting him; he just said that it wouldn't work for some reason so I have no idea. Doesn't make sense to me either...

-Sam
This is interesting. I believe you Sam. I just can't think of a logical reason that the Turbo can wouldn't work on the VN from an engineering perspective. This might just be a case of miscommunication.

As far as the shaking it was actually very bad. It was shaking in the pedal too. It was so bad that I recorded a video that I sent over to Hyundai of America and they literally asked no questions. They were just like yea we'll buy you some new tires. Shaking only occurred at about 65mph and up. All the way to above 100 the car would still shake.

I would highly recommend anyone whose purchasing one of these cars to check the tires as best as possible. Because it is more of a niche vehicle (especially the manuals) I fear that some are sitting on showroom floors for a substantial amount of time without any proper method of storing the tires. You can't park a vehicle on a cold tile floor that changes temperatures daily for weeks at a time and never even consider checking the tires lol. Plus if you are trying to sell the car you are taking it out for test drives, warming the tires then driving it right back on a cold tile floor to sit for maybe another two weeks before someone drives it. As you can tell I was not happy at all with this situation haha.

The Hyundai dealerships are really bad. I'm waiting for them to improve, but they have never housed a vehicle that is this driver-oriented. So of course when I pull up to my local dealer I know more about the car than most people in the building haha. Hopefully, the N line does well, we see more N cars, and the whole experience just gets even better.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Could you tell me which model and manufacturer's oil can you used. Before I found your photo's, I looked in my engine bay and the spot you used seem to be the largest place available. The other was near the radiator overflow bottle. Is there a problem with the Hyundai warranty if you add this or do you remove it if you have to have some repairs on your VN.
Thanks Dave
I'm fairly certain that there is documentation out there that says your Powertrain Warranty will not be voided by catch can's amongst other things like intercoolers. I've seen the document numerous times and I'm like 85% sure the list of approved items included catch cans. Now of course if you mount the can in a place that interferes with other components they could always try to deny your claim and say that its the catch can's fault depending on what issue that you have. I know for me I mounted the catch can with the same bolt that mounts the coolant overflow bottle. I have had zero issues so far and installed two motor mounts so my engine movement is almost non-existent. However, I am warry of the dealerships and if I had a major issue I would prob pull the can. I did go to get the knock software system update for the VN months ago with the can still mounted and the techs didn't say anything. They just asked me how fast have I got the car up to speed on the highway ;)

I email Mishimoto about the oil catch can for the 1.6 liter turbo, all they wrote back and said they have not tested for the VN. Like you said, it does not say it does not work only that they have not tried it/tested. So if people have run it and it is not does something unusual it basically okay. There are other brands which just say use it for any car and it seems to work. Dave
Right. This is exactly what I thought. Plus like I said before I got the can I spoke to Mishimoto verbally and they were just like dude if the hoses fit your good. And like you said there are also a ton of more crappy universal cans out there that state you can run them on anything haha. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
29 Posts
General question: are there any recommendations/best practices on running the catch can hoses? I'm mainly thinking of proximity to other hoses or cords, due to operating temp or something similar.

I've attached some pictures of my proposed hose routing. My main considerations were 1) making them as short as possible while avoiding any sharp bends, and 2) routing them in a way that doesn't preclude using the engine cover.

One other thing, regarding the diagnostic port: I found that popping out the cord clip attached the mounting arm, rotating the arm 180 degrees, and bolting the arm to the lower stud put it in a better position (i.e. not resting right on metal). I attached a picture of that as well.
Could you tell me if your oil catch can is the Mishimoto kit just for the Veloster 1.6 liter Turbo. It looks like your hoses have been molded to shape and the can mounting bracket looks the right shape. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just installed the Mishimoto oil catch can for the 1.6l turbo on my VN PP. Would like to thank Avayswavay, Ghost and Geeveetee for their photo's, I used some ideas from everyone.
1/ After removing engine cover, removed the short hose between the PCV and the manifold (photo # 1). Kept the hose clips to use on the oil can hoses.
2/ Removed the nut holding the Diagnostic port bracket, removed the cable clip and rotated the bracket 180 degrees to provide more room for the oil can mounting bracket and oil can.
3/ Removed the bolt holding the radiator expansion tank and mounted the oil can bracket using the bottom hole on the bracket (photo # 2). This raises the height of the oil can which should allow you to remove the oil can drain plug when required.
4/ Install the oil can to the bracket.
5/ Both of the hoses supplied with the oil can kit have a pre-formed bend at one end. The small diameter hose goes from the oil can inlet (used the spring hose clips which I removed from the original hose) to the PCV, I cut about 1/4 inch of the pre-formed end (attaches to the oil can). This ensures the hose does not touch the side of the engine cover when you reinstall it. Completed assembly photo #3.
6/ I ran the inlet hose between the engine oil dipstick and the solid alloy pipes behind the radiator (left 1/2 inch clearance). Ran the hose over the electrical cables to the PCV (used the worm drive hose clip which came with the kit). Photo # 4.
7/ I cut about 3/8 inch off the preformed end of the outlet hose and attached this end to the manifold pipe (using the worm drive hose clip). Ran it under the electrical cables, just to the right of the inlet hose. Photo # 4.
8/ I followed the route of the inlet hose to the oil can for the outlet hose (used the original spring hose clip). I did use a electrical zip tie to hold them together.
9/ To keep the two hoses from resting against the alloy pipes, I used zip ties from round the left side engine lifting bracket to the hoses. Just tensioned the zip ties, it does not look too neat but it is hidden by the engine cover (I will look in auto part stores for something better). Photo # 5 with engine cover back in place.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 181 Posts