Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Looks great, Dave! :)

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of copying something like this to make on my own. I already have the catch can; just not the mounting bracket.
Did you use the second bolt hole? It just about lines up with the ground bolt. Your pics and Ghost's both don't look like you did.
How well does the bracket support the catch can with just the single bolt?
Since I'm making my own, I'm considering integrating the bolt location.

thank you for the detailed pics. I like this location better than behind the headlights. shorter hoses!

Just installed the Mishimoto oil catch can for the 1.6l turbo on my VN PP. Would like to thank Avayswavay, Ghost and Geeveetee for their photo's, I used some ideas from everyone.
1/ After removing engine cover, removed the short hose between the PCV and the manifold (photo # 1). Kept the hose clips to use on the oil can hoses.
2/ Removed the nut holding the Diagnostic port bracket, removed the cable clip and rotated the bracket 180 degrees to provide more room for the oil can mounting bracket and oil can.
3/ Removed the bolt holding the radiator expansion tank and mounted the oil can bracket using the bottom hole on the bracket (photo # 2). This raises the height of the oil can which should allow you to remove the oil can drain plug when required.
4/ Install the oil can to the bracket.
5/ Both of the hoses supplied with the oil can kit have a pre-formed bend at one end. The small diameter hose goes from the oil can inlet (used the spring hose clips which I removed from the original hose) to the PCV, I cut about 1/4 inch of the pre-formed end (attaches to the oil can). This ensures the hose does not touch the side of the engine cover when you reinstall it. Completed assembly photo #3.
6/ I ran the inlet hose between the engine oil dipstick and the solid alloy pipes behind the radiator (left 1/2 inch clearance). Ran the hose over the electrical cables to the PCV (used the worm drive hose clip which came with the kit). Photo # 4.
7/ I cut about 3/8 inch off the preformed end of the outlet hose and attached this end to the manifold pipe (using the worm drive hose clip). Ran it under the electrical cables, just to the right of the inlet hose. Photo # 4.
8/ I followed the route of the inlet hose to the oil can for the outlet hose (used the original spring hose clip). I did use a electrical zip tie to hold them together.
9/ To keep the two hoses from resting against the alloy pipes, I used zip ties from round the left side engine lifting bracket to the hoses. Just tensioned the zip ties, it does not look too neat but it is hidden by the engine cover (I will look in auto part stores for something better). Photo # 5 with engine cover back in place.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in the process of copying something like this to make on my own. I already have the catch can; just not the mounting bracket.
Did you use the second bolt hole? It just about lines up with the ground bolt. Your pics and Ghost's both don't look like you did.
How well does the bracket support the catch can with just the single bolt?
Since I'm making my own, I'm considering integrating the bolt location.

thank you for the detailed pics. I like this location better than behind the headlights. shorter hoses!
If you are making your own catch can support bracket, you could use the earth strap bolt as well as the plastic bottle bolt. The photo does not show it clearly, but the earth strap is set back about 1/2 inch. You could make a bracket with that part set back or use a metal packer to make up for the gap that there is.
With the catch can being very light and the two hoses also holds the catch can in position it does not move. If mine starts moving I was going to make a packer to fit between the bracket and the inner cars fender. It would have to be tapered because the gap is not even, with you making your own it would be simple to bend it to fit properly. Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ah nice. I would consider buying like a right angle connection or something, but would have ZERO clue what to get, lol.
So I was looking into the same thing, and I also ran my out let to the intake manifold. The ID for the 15mm hose they provide with the kit is 15/32 (1/2" nominally) and they sell a 90deg elbow that you can use. I think I'm going to pick one up because I don't like how the engine cover presses down on the hose, plus, when things heat up, I noticed a kink that forms that I'm not super fond of! A 90deg elbow would completely fix the issue. I'm also not keen on modifying my stock hose, I want to keep all stock parts in good shape in case I need to change everything back.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
15 Posts
Okay I'll bite , I just have a question about this topic. I have not read through all of the post and I am lazy. So is it best to get both of the Boomba catch cans and a spare OEM hose for the one that you are required to butcher. Then you remove them to get the dealer service? Looks like a $525 mod.
To save a few $ hundred in later cleaning service. Do I have this correct?

181 - 185 of 185 Posts