Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed an ADD W1 oil catch can and it came with a straight hose that goes into the 1/2" barb into the manifold. The problem with this is that the barb points straight up out of the manifold, but your line has to do a 90 degree turn to get to your catch can (unless you mount it on the roof.)

I was able to source a replacement line that works as a replacement in case anyone is interested. It is a Gates heater hose part number: 28464. I paid about $13 for the hose.

Ebay link:
HVAC Heater Hose-90Deg Molded Heater Hose Gates 28464

Here are some pictures to show the replacement hose install as well.

Right-angle hose coming out of manifold (no cutting):

Right-angle hose coming out of manifold (no cutting):

$1 cutting blade from Dollar Tree and section of hose cut from straight part of heater hose (definitely get one of these razor blades for cutting the hose!):

Shot of completed system (hoses perfect length):

Shot of completed install (engine cover fits properly):

-Sam

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only issue I'd be worried about is that that hose is not rated for oil and fuel. The hose can break down and possibly cause issues further down.
Good to know. I didn't realize that they use different compounds for heater vs oil/fuel nowadays. I would assume that it would save money to use a standard spec for all the hoses, but guess not. Looks like I'll have to find something else.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Sam

·
Registered
382 Posts
Reusing the factory formed hose piece has worked for people here. I ended up using a 90deg nylon elbow with the addw1 supplied hose on each end but It introduces another potential leak path. Or could just leave the engine cover off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reusing the factory formed hose piece has worked for people here. I ended up using a 90deg nylon elbow with the addw1 supplied hose on each end but It introduces another potential leak path. Or could just leave the engine cover off.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid cutting the hose again, but there may be no cheaper solution. Now I'm trying to determine if a brass elbow would be okay or if I need to do stainless steel...

-Sam

·
Registered
137 Posts
Based on all y'all's previous work (Thanks!), I decided on a different path with my ADD-W1 3.3 can. I didn't care much for the routing around, under, through, up, and over for the return to the intake pipe. So, I settled on a more direct route. Heeding AKuser47's warning about hoses rated for fuels, I found the fuel/emission line spec from SAE: J30R7. Found a supplier for about 10 feet of that plus some high temp nylon barbed fittings ( 90° elbows ). It's not exactly pretty, but I like it better than my first attempt. At least now I'm not pinching anything or having to force the cover in place. And, I have unimpeded access to my washer filler and oil dipstick again.

Thanks again for the recon, guys!

--JamesT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts