Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Texted the service manger and he said they are getting a Hyundai field tech to try to come out to try to fix it whatever that means.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Texted the service manger and he said they are getting a Hyundai field tech to try to come out to try to fix it whatever that means.

Sounds promising. Hopefully, this guy will actually have a clue and he's not just going to borrow your dealership's parts gun to shoot at your car.

Too bad you're not in the NY area or you could've taken the car to SMA. Eric over there is bloody awesome. He's got exceptional diagnostic skills. Really wish I could find some local mechanic with skills and work ethic like his.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA/videos

·
Registered
18 Posts
I understand this guy has a problem with his veloster but cut out the stupid arguing, it’s not solving the problem and is completely childish and bogs down the thread. If you wanna debate things other than the car, go to another forum. That type of crap is what makes these forums suck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I called the service manager. The field tech he said was an engineer form California flying in to look at the car.

They did a leak down test I guess and he said it was at 30% on cylinders 1 and 2 and cylinder 4 it was 4% or something similar to this.

He told me he wanted to just have them send a whole new engine in and they replace the engine but if they do all that I feel like I just either need a new car or they just reimburse me for the car under the lemon law.

I don't see the need to replace the whole engine which he said would be like $15k to do anyways.

He said it's a new model car and they are learning it. Hopefully this isn't an issue with more than just mine so none of you guys have to deal with this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I called the service manager. The field tech he said was an engineer form California flying in to look at the car.

They did a leak down test I guess and he said it was at 30% on cylinders 1 and 2 and cylinder 4 it was 4% or something similar to this.

He told me he wanted to just have them send a whole new engine in and they replace the engine but if they do all that I feel like I just either need a new car or they just reimburse me for the car under the lemon law.

I don't see the need to replace the whole engine which he said would be like $15k to do anyways.

He said it's a new model car and they are learning it. Hopefully this isn't an issue with more than just mine so none of you guys have to deal with this.
Yikes...please keep us updated on what they find that caused this and what they end up doing with the car. Sucks man - hope this doesn't deter you from getting another VN.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Just got an update from the service manager that Hyundai told him they aren’t sending a field tech anymore and to just order a new motor to put in because apparently the leak down test showed them enough.

Not sure anyone wants a new motor put into a new car.

So it’s been in service since December 28th which is the day it broke down. They’ve tried to fix it multiple times and now they are ordering a new motor. I’m not sure what is the best course but would most of you be trying to peruse the lemon law as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got an update from the service manager that Hyundai told him they aren’t sending a field tech anymore and to just order a new motor to put in because apparently the leak down test showed them enough.

So it’s been in service since December 28th which is the day it broke down. They’ve tried to fix it multiple times and now they are ordering a new motor. I’m not sure what is the best course but would most of you be trying to peruse the lemon law as well?
Just registered into this forum to respond to this...

I've gotten my engine replaced before (for a 2013 Subaru BRZ). Overall it was a great experience because the car was over 90K miles and I got a totally brand new engine.

With your situation, since the car is new, the benefit of a totally new engine isn't readily apparent. FWIW, there's always a risk that the labor performed by the dealership may not be up to the same standard as where this car was made in the factory (for example: Scion/Toyota/Subaru FRS/86/BRZ reported engine failures after engine valve spring recall work was done)

I'm also curious as to what this will do to your Carfax, whether engine replacements are reported into carfax and what sort of red flags that will raise for the next potential buyer (should you ever sell).

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

I've gotten my engine replaced before (for a 2013 Subaru BRZ). Overall it was a great experience because the car was over 90K miles and I got a totally brand new engine.

With your situation, since the car is new, the benefit of a totally new engine isn't readily apparent. FWIW, there's always a risk that the labor performed by the dealership may not be up to the same standard as where this car was made in the factory (for example: Scion/Toyota/Subaru FRS/86/BRZ reported engine failures after engine valve spring recall work was done)

I'm also curious as to what this will do to your Carfax, whether engine replacements are reported into carfax and what sort of red flags that will raise for the next potential buyer (should you ever sell).

Just food for thought...

Thanks for the response.

I've thought of this before as well because the service at this particular dealer has been terrible so them putting a new engine into my car doesn't make me feel any better about things.

Also, with the car being new I don't think it helps but makes the value less to someone who wanted to buy this car in the future if they look at the carfax.

·
Registered
874 Posts

It all depends on you personally. Will it affect the resale value of the car, not really. Will it affect your confidence in the VN you originally purchased? That's something you are going to have to decide.

I'm seriously wondering why they decided to swap the motor? "Parts changers" but I'd rather have a new motor then them attempting to repair the previous.:smile:

·
Registered
65 Posts
They must have found ring leakage/bore damage with the leakdown test, just guessing, not much information to go on.

If they're putting in a whole new engine I wouldn't feel bad about keeping the car or its value. The only way I'd want to try to lemon law it was if you were set on getting out of a VN entirely and buying another brand.

I'm not sure how that stuff ends up on a carfax. I've never reported an engine replacement to carfax. Carfax must collect that stuff through insurance companies or warranty companies. Maybe ask the dealer if they can not put it on the carfax if that's possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reading this ordeal from the beginning I have to say you are very patient. I look forward to hear your resolution and satisfaction with the resolution soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Reading this ordeal from the beginning I have to say you are very patient. I look forward to hear your resolution and satisfaction with the resolution soon.
Thanks I have been super patient with the dealer and Hyundai Corporate. I have some things in process now to get this resolved. I’ll let you guys know what ends up happening.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Car broke down on December 28th so it’s been 53 days since I’ve had a working car that’s been stuck in service.

Also haven’t heard anything about the new engine I think they may be waiting on it still to get in.

A letter was sent to corporate last week so just a waiting game right now.

·
Registered
874 Posts

Just food for thought...
Hyundai doesn't have to right to sell such information to CarFax and the owner can request they don't, which Hyundai has to honor. Some of the first words out of my mouth with Hyundai are do not sell of provide CarFax with any information. CarFax has no legal right to utilize such information while the car is in possession of and owner. Engine replacement wouldn't be noted on a CarFax anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I picked up the car today after they’ve put a new engine in it. Whne I started it an engine diagnostic message appeared on the main screen and the check engine light was on. It also wouldn’t switch in and out of N mode or let you control those settings. I had them come out to check it and they did a reset through a device they had and it seems to be working now.

The only issue I’m noticing now is that the pops and bangs are pretty much or are completely gone. I hear some gurgling but no nice pops when you get on it at higher RPMs like it used to do. Maybe they can program that quickly I’m not sure.

I’ll keep driving it a couple days and see maybe if it changes but if not I’m really getting sick of dealing with this.

It does seem to be driving fine as far as I can tell though. Time will tell.

I’m still going through the lemon law to get the car replaced or a reimbursement especially now that the car isn’t doing what it used to do before and these service people at my local dealer don’t know much about how the VN is supposed to drive.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Its heart breaking and really frustrating to hear this go on and on. Im asuming you have everything in sport + when you attempt to get the pops. Very interesting situation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
The check engine light came back on seems to be the same error it had when I picked it up. The error is O2 Sensor Ref Voltage.

Also, at idle I've noticed the RPMs trying to dip on me just like before twice so far. The car is driving better but why would I still get these RPM drops at idle. We will see if it keeps happening.

Someone just shoot me now so this will end lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I found the sputter issue at least right now I can reproduce. It happens once about 35 seconds after I turn on the car each time. It does the same rpm drop and sputter thing for a couple seconds like it did before the new engine but then goes back normal. I'm not sure after that. I'll keep driving it to see what else it does.

It won't let me change the engine mode if I go into the N mode settings on the main display and if I try to go into the exhaust settings.

They really fixed my car good!

81 - 100 of 113 Posts