Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks (roadandtrack.com)

Not surprising news, and as a native Southern Californian I've been at odds with smog testing since it was first implemented and I had to get registration for my dual carbed, cammed, and ported 2 liter air-cooled VW that had NOx and HC numbers in the 4 digit range (don't ask how). Our cars are too new to require smog at the moment but just something to keep in mind for the future or if you have other vehicles to worry about. That Hondata CARB approved tune for the Honda Civic Type R sounds real good at the moment;) maybe we'll get something similar fingers crossed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you flash onto a spare ECU and keep your original unmodified you should be fine. Also, this may boost piggyback sales as some may find that route 'less risky'. Either way, I'm glad I no longer live in California :)
That seems to be the way to go but would that lead to a discrepancy in mileage that could be seen during a smog test? Sounds like that's not a worry for you now anyway:cool:

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
That seems to be the way to go but would that lead to a discrepancy in mileage that could be seen during a smog test? Sounds like that's not a worry for you now anyway:cool:
In a word, no. This is what Kalistans obviously want. They sure aren't standing up against CARB in opposition.

The Honda tune won't be for long.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
478 Posts
I moved out of San Diego in 1987. It was still nice then, but I could not see staying in California.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most tunes allow you to flash back to the OEM tune and then flash back to aftermarket.
nobody takes their car to get smogged with the tune on your car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’ll say this California is an awful state i have no clue how can anyone sacrifice quality of life for beautiful scenery

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Southern California is, as dry as a popcorn fart. What's not to love; the guarantee of seasonally brush and forest fires increased by the Santa Ana winds. Regular rolling electricity brownouts. Water rationing, high cost of gasoline and other fossil fuels, a repressive state legislature, CARB, annual mudslides, gang violence, outrageous housing cost and taxes etc. It's a nightmare come true.:)(y)

Actually Khalistan isn't really bad yet, but there are sure allot of their license plates where we live. Look to me like a mass exodus. When you run off the middle class tax base it can only get worse from there.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
478 Posts
I graduated from UCSD (La Jolla, CA) in 1987. The job offers (engineering) were less in California despite the cost of living. The excuse was the great weather. San Diego weather was great, but the cost was high and I did not like the culture down there. I find the Pennsylvania, despite our third-world roads, is really not that bad. We get four seasons and the costs are not that bad compared to the surrounding states. The only thing that I brought with me from Cali is the desire to keep my cars clean.

Reactions: VN_Chas
1 - 11 of 11 Posts