Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows if it were to be possible to buy the performance package from hyundai and have it installed at a later date, I just can't seem to find a decently priced PP VN and I found a great deal on a base that I want to take the snag on. I have seen mixed replies about whether or not the base produces crackles and pops, I was wondering if anyone who has driven a base N can confirm that? I also considered, if I cannot buy it from them, performance parts are being produced and since it is the same engine I could get aftermarket parts and get the same performance. Let me know what you guys think, if anyone has thought of this or reached out please let me know!

·
Registered
310 Posts
It crackles and pops all the same despite some people saying otherwise, and with a tune you'll get the same power but the lsd will be pricey to add after the fact.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It crackles and pops all the same despite some people saying otherwise, and with a tune you'll get the same power but the lsd will be pricey to add after the fact.
Thank you! I had people from a dealership tell me it did, then I saw some people here say it didn't. I am just glad that it will crackle, kinda one of the little reasons I have grown fond of the VN from everything I have looked into with them. The eLSD was the only thing I could see being a major blow in terms of not getting, I do like to have a little fun on the road, my current car doesn't have a LSD either so I may be fine with the oversteer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The NPP has been dynoed with same power as the PP. Same dyno, different days, same temps. It's marketing that makes the PP have more HP. It doesnt make sense that the exact same engine makes the exact same torque but different HP. It just doesn't make sense, no matter how it's tuned .

The NPP pops and bangs plenty in N mode. The ALS sounds great. I haven't heard a PP to compare however. You can't adjust the NPP exhaust sound.

The NPP has no eLSD, but the torque vectoring open diff does a great job. I just ticked over 1000miles today and flogged my NPP for the first time. It's a fantastic car and I never missed the eLSD (But I'll never put my N on a track either). A LSD is better, but there are other advantages to an open diff, so it's not all bad.

The PP gets bigger, heavier rims. And it gets Pirelli tires that are not as good as the MPSS that the NPP gets. I cross shopped these tires a year ago. Consumer Reports likes MPSS better as do most other reviews I read.

Test drive a NPP and see if you like it and ask yourself if you really need the PP.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've driven both versions extensively, als sounds are very much the same between the 2. PP has a mute button for the exhaust that I never really used but outside of that the sound is very similar. PP slightly more bassy (to my ears sounds slightly more muffled) whereas the base is a little raspier. The base sounds a little more "open" though I have no idea of actual flow performance.

The torque vectoring does a decent job but it's always 1/2 second later that it helps and powering out of corners it just tells you "you can only have half power right now" instead of the lsd putting most of it to the ground. I did not like that the lsd was a sealed unit and fluid could not be changed, but hyundai seems confident it will last.

I'm not sure about them putting the same power down stock, it certainly feels similar but I've not been on a dyno and am unsure is Sxth's claims are referring to identical power with their stage 0 tune or if it's stock tunes they compared. If the PP has a power advantage it's likely something like holding max boost 500-1000 rpm longer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you don't need the car ASAP and extra $ isn't an issue, just wait for a PP to show up. It's worth it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They claim they were both bone stock cars. Plus it makes sense because there's no way the same emgines make the same TORQUE but different HP. the additional 25 HP claim is marketing pure and simple. Because everyone can understand more HP, but 99% of people have no clue what an eLSD is. So Hyundai had to make up something to sell PPs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
But to answer the OP- I'd wait if it is important to you. You can get an aftermarket LSD installed, you can get an active exhaust. But it'll be more expensive in the end and void many warranties.

I have never heard of a PP upgrade, and I doubt it will ever be an option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They claim they were both bone stock cars. Plus it makes sense because there's no way the same emgines make the same TORQUE but different HP. the additional 25 HP claim is marketing pure and simple. Because everyone can understand more HP, but 99% of people have no clue what an eLSD is. So Hyundai had to make up something to sell PPs.
This was my exact logic when I was looking into it aswell. It's the same engine, and the other difference is a eLSD with a valve opening exhaust and bigger rims, there was no way it was making 25 just off that exhaust. I think I will go with the base version, and get the things I want done a little later down the road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This was my exact logic when I was looking into it aswell. It's the same engine, and the other difference is a eLSD with a valve opening exhaust and bigger rims, there was no way it was making 25 just off that exhaust. I think I will go with the base version, and get the things I want done a little later down the road.
When they come up with a HP & Tq figure, it's BHP, not WHP. Trans losses, gearbox torque changes and the like are not accounted for. They also don't use the cat back exhaust, though they will use the header and cats. So the more open exhaust can't effect the power figures in any way.

HP is a function of Torque. It just doesn't make sense how they come up with that figure. That's why I trust SXTH's dyno numbers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Torque in the base is 260 from 1450-4000rpm and the PP extends this up to 4700rpm. I think they just taper off boost earlier in the base.

·
Registered
876 Posts
When they come up with a HP & Tq figure, it's BHP, not WHP. Trans losses, gearbox torque changes and the like are not accounted for. They also don't use the cat back exhaust, though they will use the header and cats. So the more open exhaust can't affect the power figures in any way.

HP is a function of Torque. It just doesn't make sense how they come up with that figure. That's why I trust SXTH's dyno numbers.
Makes sense to us who utilize dynamometers and understand tuning principles. Peak horsepower, can be limited thru tuning.:smile:

Headers are not utilized on turbo engines. Instead, turbo manifolds and downpipes are utilized during testing along with; alternator, water pump, harmonic balancer etc. The downpipe being used for scavenging.

What you've stated above, is common knowledge. It's simply called, "friction loss."

All chassis dynamometers measure whp (wheel horsepower), not hp (crank horsepower). All tuners, use some form of a Chassis or Eddy Current dynamometer. Most really good tuners, utilize a controlled environment booth, for dyno testing. Unlike SXTH Element, who presently have the dyno in an open air portion of their garage and doing so can drastically skew dyno testing and tuning results.:wink:

BHP (brake horsepower) is a primary unit of measurement in Europe and the UK, not general used by automotive manufactures. BHP is; the engine torque determined by applying a break to the flywheel and no consideration for loss from auxiliary parts. HP (crank horsepower) of an engine is; measured with consideration of the loss in power that's caused by some parts of the engine, like the generator, water pump and other auxiliary parts.:wink:

Manufactures like Hyundai, rate their engine output in; HP not BHP.:smile:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I test drove both PP and non PP. Bought the non PP to save a few bucks. Plus, I haven't been to a track yet.

The LSD is the thing I'd like most, but otherwise I don't feel I'm missing much. Also, I'm happier to have the Michelin 18 inch tires.

Yes, it does bug me that every review says it's a "no-brainer" to get the PP package. Of course, IF one was planning to get the items in the package, it's a no-brainer. Me, I was after a price point, and, again, didn't feel I was really going to miss the difference.

It's been a month and 2000 miles of VN ownership. So far so good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
A lower final drive ratio, smaller diameter front sway bar, and critical for my tastes, for a front wheel drive vehicle, a LSD. After having to spend ~1K to install a LSD in my other car doing the work myself the PP was mandatory for what it brings for the money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts