Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am coming from the CivicX platform over to (hopefully) the Veloster N side of things. I have seen a few posts asking about widespread known issues but none that answer a few specific questions I have (that admittedly would probably be answered by test driving but that isn't an option for me right now unfortunately).

1. I see lots of people saying the ride quality both in noise and softness is "bearable" on the most comfort oriented settings with PP, how does that line up to say an STI, or even a Civic Si for ride comfort?

2. How is the growth in the modding scene? I see advertisements sometimes for aftermarket Hyundai tuning chips and such but I am curious how people feel about the aftermarket parts overall being put out for the N?

3. More generic, what is your favorite thing or two about the car? What is your least favorite thing or two about it?

Hopefully you'll be seeing more of me on here soon!

·
Registered
132 Posts
As best I can answer...

1) The last STI I was in was a 2008. I've not been in a Civic Si in a LOOOONG time. But, I have coworker with an '17 Fiesta ST. My VN PP (in standard mode) is nowhere near as harsh as either of those ( Caveat: I'm running on 18" wheels, so a little more squish than the OEMs. ) That's not to say that the feeling at the steering wheel is numb or that your posterior feels like its riding on a cloud; you feel every bump in the road, but it doesn't jar the fillings out of your teeth. The feedback into the steering wheel is fantastic.

2) A) I'm not into full-bore, everything's-gotta-go modding so... B) This is an entirely new (to the US market) platform, so the aftermarket for mods is slow, but there are plenty of folks rolling out new stuff pretty quick. I'd say by the time you're ready, there will be plenty of choices for you with lots of support from the companies that provide the parts.

3) This is my first hot-hatch, so... I love how nimble and how quick the steering is. And, that exhaust! Least favorite thing? I wish the interior was a little more ...plush. I think Hyundai could've put a few more dollars into refining the inside without adding much to the MSRP.

Hope this helps. And, good luck with your decision!

--JamesT

·
Registered
122 Posts
well as far as the ride quality i have a 2020 chalk white PP i switched over to 18 in rims with a 235 40 18 continental extreme contact dws 06 tires and the ride is good not as loud inside and the Pirelli's. but that is the difference in the sidewall . The only things i have encountered is the rear brakes stick when the e-brake is applied which is only occasional and the door wolnt open is freezing temps i have to open the passenger door and pop the drivers door open.So all in all few things to complain about. the cars are great . I have owned 5 Hyundai's so far a 12 accent , 13 elantra gt , 15 veloster r-spec , 19 N base , and a 20 veloster PP it just keeps getting better . Great cars and great people at least everywhere i have gone so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great cars, I test drove mine and was sold. I think it is very comfy. I cannot compare to civics as I havent been in one of those in years. I think you'll lv the N. It is awesome, the exhaust is what many aim for in aftermarket exhaust and its stock. The brakes on my performance package are insane they stop very well, but the stock pads are very dusty so keep in mind you'll be cleaning your rims and calipers alot to keep it fresh that's the cost of great brakes I think. My rear brakes stick as well usaully when its damp out. So I only use my E brake when running around shirt parking times as mine has been so stuck that I dragged ruts into my gravel driveway. Hyundai are known for sticky E brakes. Another negative depends on your location are the Pzero stock tires the manufacturer website literally says they can crack n split if used in 40 degree or colder temps. So I threw mine away as I'm in Ohio I'm not risking that. I put DWS 06 on no regrets. The car is fast it makes me smile when I launch it. I'm smiling now as I type this thinking of it. I'd drive a distance to test drive one. So then you'll know for sure. Also the oem infinity stereo is pretty sweet for a factory stereo.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
125 Posts
I’ve had an sti before and honestly live them both, my sti was on stock suspension but it was still a bit more harsh than the Veloster n (in normal mode) in N mode you’ll feel every bump in the road but I mean I personally can still daily drive it, ive been in Cars with worse comfortability

the aftermarket scene is definitely not as big as Honda or Subaru but we have some good aftermarket parts available to us still and hopefully it’s gets as big as Honda or Subaru one day :)

favorite thing about this car is definitely howyou can change between modes and customize a setting you like, also the stock exhaust is amazing! There’s plenty of videos but it’s not the same as hearing it in person. Something I dislike is the interior but honestly it isn’t that bad, they offer alcantara steering wheel, arm rest, shift boot and e brake as of now and hopefully those N light up seats come to the us and it’ll definitely make the interior better.
I think you’ll like the Veloster N it’s a really great car. Plus can’t beat that Hyundai manufacture warranty!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well as far as the ride quality i have a 2020 chalk white PP i switched over to 18 in rims with a 235 40 18 continental extreme contact dws 06 tires and the ride is good not as loud inside and the Pirelli's. but that is the difference in the sidewall . The only things i have encountered is the rear brakes stick when the e-brake is applied which is only occasional and the door wolnt open is freezing temps i have to open the passenger door and pop the drivers door open.So all in all few things to complain about. the cars are great . I have owned 5 Hyundai's so far a 12 accent , 13 elantra gt , 15 veloster r-spec , 19 N base , and a 20 veloster PP it just keeps getting better . Great cars and great people at least everywhere i have gone so far.
Love the car. The one thing I know for sure is that if/when I get one it will be in white. Looks so clean!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Veloster N with PP is not has harsh as a STI even in N mode which is stiff but not a crash like feeling like the sti.
the SI is a softer feeling suspension even in sport mode.

About upgrades, I got the PP version of the N so I wouldn't need to do any "upgrades" Maybe just a JB4 chip to get 300 lbs of torque but the suspension doesn't need to be touched unless you are taking it to different tracks and need to make adjustments for different track situations.

the extra bonus is that I get 30mpg in normal and eco mode and 27mpg in sport and I drive 50miles a day in Los Angeles country. N mode does get less, I see 23.4mpg.
but I do drive like a civilized human though, someone that sees redline everytime they accelerate will see way less mpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts