Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The prices for brake pads at the dealer are pretty expensive. The few aftermarket options I found were priced even higher. Does anyone know where to get a cheaper set of brake pads? If the calipers for this car cross reference from another model, the model and year would be helpful as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was searching through Rockauto today and noticed they list Dynamic Friction Company (DFC) 5000 Advanced brake pads. Composition noted as low metallic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Currently using EBC Yellowstuff pads. US vendors are starting to list them on their websites but no one in the US stocks them yet. Had to order mine from a UK vendor that is able to ship to the US but even they don't stock them. Once they get them in stock, they are gone immediately. Had to place an order and waited 2 months to get them but for $220 shipped for front and rear pads, it was worth the wait.

EBC Yellowstuff is more of a proper replacement to the OEM pads since OEM has some very scary rain performance. Like how OEM pads stick in the rear when wet and ebrake left up overnight. Or if you're cruising on the freeway in the rain and haven't used your brakes in 5-10 min but when you finally do, it doesn't stop the car immediately. The EBC Yellowstuff doesn't have these oddities that the OEM pads do so they are a lot safer and can handle more abuse (like track) before they start to fade whereas the OEM can start to fade on small go-kart tracks.

Here's where I ordered them.

The current cost with shipping is £182.25, which translates to $236 USD. They are affordable and way better than OEM. Please don't expect G-LOC or Pagid performance out of them though because that's not the point of these pads.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Blows my mind that theres still no low dust alternatives or practically any alternatives for the N yet. The OEM pads are really starting to annoy me and its almost as if i need a big break kit such as forge just to have the option of a variety of pads.
I dont want anything too agressive like the gloc 10 or 12s which seem to be the only ones available so i guess im going with EBC yellowstuff. I wish they'd make redstuff as those are rated for low dust but i guess thats asking too much

·
Registered
315 Posts
As much of a pain the oem pads might be with dust and surface rust I assume the redstuff compound results in lower braking performance vs oem so not worth producing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
As much of a pain the oem pads might be with dust and surface rust I assume the redstuff compound results in lower braking performance vs oem so not worth producing.
Possibly, they rate the redstuff better than OEM pads but the Ns oem pads arnt typical OEM pads so maybe they out perform the redstuffs

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Well, you could always Fred Flinstone it.... lol.... Open the door and stick the foot out.... lol....
Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Currently using EBC Yellowstuff pads. US vendors are starting to list them on their websites but no one in the US stocks them yet. Had to order mine from a UK vendor that is able to ship to the US but even they don't stock them. Once they get them in stock, they are gone immediately. Had to place an order and waited 2 months to get them but for $220 shipped for front and rear pads, it was worth the wait.

EBC Yellowstuff is more of a proper replacement to the OEM pads since OEM has some very scary rain performance. Like how OEM pads stick in the rear when wet and ebrake left up overnight. Or if you're cruising on the freeway in the rain and haven't used your brakes in 5-10 min but when you finally do, it doesn't stop the car immediately. The EBC Yellowstuff doesn't have these oddities that the OEM pads do so they are a lot safer and can handle more abuse (like track) before they start to fade whereas the OEM can start to fade on small go-kart tracks.

Here's where I ordered them.

The current cost with shipping is £182.25, which translates to $236 USD. They are affordable and way better than OEM. Please don't expect G-LOC or Pagid performance out of them though because that's not the point of these pads.
I'm probably just overlooking this on their webpage, but is each "set" one axle's worth, or one wheel's worth?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Blows my mind that theres still no low dust alternatives or practically any alternatives for the N yet. The OEM pads are really starting to annoy me and its almost as if i need a big break kit such as forge just to have the option of a variety of pads.
I dont want anything too agressive like the gloc 10 or 12s which seem to be the only ones available so i guess im going with EBC yellowstuff. I wish they'd make redstuff as those are rated for low dust but i guess thats asking too much
GLoc does make less aggressive pads. The r8s and r6s are a great daily driver for our car.

You could also slap on some CTS-V brakes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm probably just overlooking this on their webpage, but is each "set" one axle's worth, or one wheel's worth?
If you order front pads, you get them for both fronts. Same with the rears.

And US vendors are starting to stock them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
GLoc does make less aggressive pads. The r8s and r6s are a great daily driver for our car.

You could also slap on some CTS-V brakes.
Where can i find them. Gen racer is the only place that i could find that has them specifically for the N but they dont have under 10.

If you order front pads, you get them for both fronts. Same with the rears.

And US vendors are starting to stock them.
Those fit the N ?
Does the N use proprietary brake pad design or does it use a universal fitment and size. I spend way to long looking up velo N specific pads because i really dont know, and nothing ever comes up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where can i find them. Gen racer is the only place that i could find that has them specifically for the N but they dont have under 10.

Those fit the N ?
Does the N use proprietary brake pad design or does it use a universal fitment and size. I spend way to long looking up velo N specific pads because i really dont know, and nothing ever comes up
G-Loc doesn't make anything less than the R10 for the Veloster N. Just a less aggressive track pad and a more aggressive track pad.

For the US market, they use their own sizing so no other Hyundai/Kia pads will work on these cars. I know the Kia Pro Ceed GT pads would fit the N but we don't get those cars here in the US.
And yes, these fit the N. I've had them in since early spring and probably at 8k miles with them already. Best replacement pad to the OEM and much cheaper to replace the OEM pads with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
GLoc does make all their compounds for the N, it's just the resellers have not ordered them as such. All you need to do is call/e-mail G-Loc directly and they will put the pad compound you want on the proper backplate.

·
Registered
359 Posts
G-Loc doesn't make anything less than the R10 for the Veloster N. Just a less aggressive track pad and a more aggressive track pad.

For the US market, they use their own sizing so no other Hyundai/Kia pads will work on these cars. I know the Kia Pro Ceed GT pads would fit the N but we don't get those cars here in the US.
And yes, these fit the N. I've had them in since early spring and probably at 8k miles with them already. Best replacement pad to the OEM and much cheaper to replace the OEM pads with.
Well i understand that you purchased them from an international vendor who specified the i30N, but nowhere in the car ID link you sent does it say veloster N from what i saw. CAR ID in general doesnt even let me select the veloster N 😂

GLoc does make all their compounds for the N, it's just the resellers have not ordered them as such. All you need to do is call/e-mail G-Loc directly and they will put the pad compound you want on the proper backplate.
Thanks for this info, ill definitely hit them up for some information as well.
On the gloc website i never saw thr veloster n either. But supposedly the N borrows its brakes from a bigger hyundai no? If i knew which one it only makes sense that id be able to look up brakes that fit that hyundai as well and it should work. I thought by doing that hyundai would be making it easier to find brake pads lol silly me apparently

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well i understand that you purchased them from an international vendor who specified the i30N, but nowhere in the car ID link you sent does it say veloster N from what i saw. CAR ID in general doesnt even let me select the veloster N 😂

Thanks for this info, ill definitely hit them up for some information as well.
On the gloc website i never saw thr veloster n either. But supposedly the N borrows its brakes from a bigger hyundai no? If i knew which one it only makes sense that id be able to look up brakes that fit that hyundai as well and it should work. I thought by doing that hyundai would be making it easier to find brake pads lol silly me apparently
The brakes do come from a larger Hyundai, I knew at one point what it was but can't recall now. Just call/e-mail G-Loc and they'll get you the compound you want. I have R12/R10 setup for my car, but will be moving to R10/R8 next.

·
Registered
67 Posts
CARiD has one of the worse car specific lookups I've seen and I personally wouldn't trust it. Which is why I look things up with part numbers. They are currently the only US based site I've seen that says they have them in stock, which is why I posted the links to them. You can look up the part numbers and order from someone else that DOES have the Veloster N listed on their site if you so desire but it's most likely going to be drop shipped to you from the UK. Like Summit Racing here has the fronts listed on their site with the fitment being the Veloster N but isn't shipping out until the 15th.

Also, I've done a lot of research into what pads will work on this car. Before anyone could in the US could even confirm if the i30N EBC Yellowstuff pads would fit the Veloster N, I had them ordered. Then had to wait 1-2 months for them to ship due to COVID freshly hitting the UK and shutting everything down. After getting them in, they went in the car immediately and hey, my research was right and it fits perfectly fine, front and rear. Saved myself over $300 on pads that work WAY better when wet compared to OEM that was just straight up scary when it's downpouring. I have about 8k miles on them and have been quite happy with them so far over OEM.

I'm just sharing info here so other N owners can be informed and could even save money on a pretty good street and trackable pad. Or even crazier yet, Rockauto is selling a set of pads for $50 for these cars. Perfect for those that will never do any kind of motorsports event with their N.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts