Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT Perfomance Blue
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put 1000 miles on my new 21 DCT. Now as I was backing in to park, I easily applied the brakes. The brakes now seem to be overly aggresive. There is a hard jerk as I am braking slowly. Has anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
FWIW, when I first had the car the brakes seemed to bite really hard no matter what. As I've worn them in (now at 4k miles) they seem more tempered to my pedal input.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Give it some time for them to break in and heat cycle the pad compound. Do you keep the car outside and has it been damp? Be advised;

The rear metallic pads and rotors a sticking due to rust. When the pads stick, they leave a bit of residue on the rotor. As it hits these spots it will jerk some what when backing. It's just part of the deal. If you want to solve the issue, either leave the emergency brake off or change the pads to ceramic compound pads.

I believe EBC has them in the Red Pads. Ghost just changed his and is very pleased with the results.

A little tip; if you want to help the situation, lightly apply the emergency brake and drive forward for several hundred feet at a slow speed. This will remove any pad sticking and help to smooth out the grabbiness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took my 2021 VN MT into my local dealership because my brakes have been intermittently squeaky all winter. Now they pulse and shake as well. 6000km on my car (3700 miles)-- and the dealership is replacing the rear brakes under warranty. The tech said using the emergency break while my car was in park was damaging them. Nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
The tech said using the emergency break while my car was in park was damaging them. Nice.
He's the LAST tech I would want to work on my car. Lol....

I have used my parking brake on a daily on stock pads and now on the new pads and have NEVER had a problem. I park on an incline while I am working and apply the parking brake, shut the car off, then put the car into 1st gear.

If you switched to new ceramic pads there would be NO stickiness. Hope this helps some?

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
47 Posts
From what the tech told me, and from what I have read from others that experienced my specific issue, it happens primarily in wet weather (for me that is all winter) due to rust forming on the rotors. The emergency brake then clamps onto the rotors and doesn't release properly the next time you go to drive the car. Often you will hear a very loud thunk, slap, or snap, which I assume are the pads/callipers unsticking themselves from the rotors to which they had adhered via the surface rust because putting down the ebrake didn't release them as it should have. So, this would happen almost every day for me during the winter. I guess it really did a number on my back brakes. Warranty covered it so not a big deal I guess-- just worried it will happen next winter too.

[Realize now this issue has been covered in other threads from individuals that know more about cars than me-- apparently it is more widespread than I thought]

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Until you decide to change pads, make sure if the car has been setting for longer periods of time, put the car into reverse and back up some to break the pads free.

Also, don’t pull up hard on the emergency brake. Once it’s engaged several clicks, there’s no need to go farther.

With the rusting of the pads to the rotor, every time they stick, material from the pad is left on the rotor. Do yourself a favor and some time, buy a brake rotor hone and clean off the rotors periodically. Takes less than an hour and will keep the pad material off the rotor.

This is why the brakes are pulsing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts