Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to get my Veloster N and I have a few plans to modify the car. I intend on getting an intake, intercooler, downpipes and a custom dyno tune. Does it make sense for me to get a valve and if so what would be better for performance and will this effect the exhaust pops? I’m only asking bc I heard the pops come from the turbo spooling between gears.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
If you want exhaust snap, crackles, & pops no matter what you do get an Ark mid-pipe. I love mine!!!! Can't stress this enough! :) Oh, and I do have a GFB recirc valve too. I'm not a fan of all the noise.....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a GFB dual valve that gives the option between recirculating and atmosphere and i noticed spring tension more than anything affect volume and pop frequency. To stiff though, and the car drives like ass in atmosphere so i have it at about 90% atmosphere 10% recirculating with a fairly stiff tension and the pops are orgasmic. Might need to lower the tension a bit to smoothen the ride a hair more though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m about to get my Veloster N and I have a few plans to modify the car. I intend on getting an intake, intercooler, downpipes and a custom dyno tune. Does it make sense for me to get a valve and if so what would be better for performance and will this effect the exhaust pops? I’m only asking bc I heard the pops come from the turbo spooling between gears.
BOV's in general have no impact on performance. The only reason to upgrade to aftermarket is if the OEM BOV is leaking or you just want more noise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a GFB dual valve that gives the option between recirculating and atmosphere and i noticed spring tension more than anything affect volume and pop frequency. To stiff though, and the car drives like ass in atmosphere so i have it at about 90% atmosphere 10% recirculating with a fairly stiff tension and the pops are orgasmic. Might need to lower the tension a bit to smoothen the ride a hair more though.
Maybe my oem BPV is jacked....

·
Registered
11 Posts
BOV's in general have no impact on performance. The only reason to upgrade to aftermarket is if the OEM BOV is leaking or you just want more noise.
That’s actually not true, if you have a BOV that works properly and setup with the correct spring, you can actually be in boost quicker on the shift... and if you have a spring that’s too stiff or too weak can also negatively impact performance. As for running a BPV vs BOV, If you have a car like say a ford that has a mass air flow sensor, and you try running a BOV, your car isn’t going to run right because it’s not seeing air that should be recirculating back. On a car without a MAF, the car doesn’t give a **** and a BOV works perfectly fine.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
8 Posts
If you want exhaust snap, crackles, & pops no matter what you do get an Ark mid-pipe. I love mine!!!! Can't stress this enough! :) Oh, and I do have a GFB recirc valve too. I'm not a fan of all the noise.....

Best regards,

-Mike
Would this increase the lackluster pops of the DCT?

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Sorry for the late response. But what Al said. I have the Ark mid pipe and absolutely love it. I sent mine off to Jet Hot first. I had reasoning for this.... The factory mid pipe has heat shielding on the top of them and the available mid pipes for the VN do not. So I sent mine off to Jet-Hot for a 1300 degree coating. I did the same thing for my new down pipe but I coated that in a 2500 degree coating. That goes on in March, April, or May. I have my VN in storage for the winter.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
From first hand experience I can tell you a downpipe will allow you more pops and at a higher volume than just the mid pipe. I removed the resonator first and yes it gives you a tiny increase. The resonator in the mid pipe is not very big or restrictive. Going to a catless or higher flow cat (I have XForce 100 cell cat) in the downpipe really turns up the noise and frequency of the pops and exhaust in general. Plus the downpipe is a big power adder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts