Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

BOV questions & Intercooler for the 21 DCT

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
Hi y'all just wanted to know if there is a Intercooler that will fit the DCT? I've noticed that this car tends to get really really hot when you drive it crazy, thanks in advance! Also, gonna install the Boomba BOV on this thing tomorrow since I have it laying around here in the house, few questions for the BOV, is there any benefits to it ? or is just a waste of money? I know you get the occasional PSSHHH sounds but i wanna know if there's any pros and cons to it. THANK YOU AND LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!! I also did my oil change as well, went with the AMSOIL 0w-30 signature series, so far so good.

#2 ·
Howdy,

Forge Motorsport is working on a DCT version of their inter cooler as well as SXTH element is doing the same. I’m personally waiting on the forge unit. I have the Boomba BOV installed on mine and love it. I don’t think there are any cons but I did read that it supposedly helps with keeping the pressure from blowing back inside your turbo, which supposedly helps with its lifespan but idk how true that is. I just like it because it goes pssshh. I do recommend you take the air box out for the install otherwise it’s a PITA. But to me it was worth the money, hope this helps!

Best,

Ren

#3 ·
Howdy,

Forge Motorsport is working on a DCT version of their inter cooler as well as SXTH element is doing the same. I’m personally waiting on the forge unit. I have the Boomba BOV installed on mine and love it. I don’t think there are any cons but I did read that it supposedly helps with keeping the pressure from blowing back inside your turbo, which supposedly helps with its lifespan but idk how true that is. I just like it because it goes pssshh. I do recommend you take the air box out for the install otherwise it’s a PITA. But to me it was worth the money, hope this helps!

Best,

Ren
Thanks Ren for the respond! Kinda sucks that the DCT don’t get much love as the M/T but I still love it! I’ll prolly go with the SXTH one or either one that comes out first, hopefully soon, I’ll be installing it tomorrow morning and see how it goes!

#8 ·
Howdy,

. I have the Boomba BOV installed on mine and love it. I don’t think there are any cons but I did read that it supposedly helps with keeping the pressure from blowing back inside your turbo, which supposedly helps with its lifespan but idk how true that is.

A BOV does exactly the same thing the stock diverter does, it's just vented to the atmosphere instead of the intake. When the turbo spools it builds boost pressure. When you momentarily close the throttle plate (a shift for instance), the pressure spikes in the system and the Diverter or BOV momentarily releases this pressure build-up to reduce the potential of the turbo from stalling. Basically allows the turbo to continue spinning without fighting any backpressure
The only downside is you are blowing off air already metered but That disruption is really minimal..

#11 ·
I understand there's no MAF. Did not mean to mislead (my old VW/Audi habit!). Metered (or limited) in this instance is any air coming in through the intake upstream.
Eh yes and no, I agree with the fact of what it is but not the naming since it implies that the air is accounted for and fuel added / subtracted. But I hear ya, it was the same way in the Subaru community: VTA BAD, RECIRC GOOD, AIR METERED.

#13 ·
just installed it today, noticed instantly that the turbo stops spinning as soon as it lets out the air, it does a nice psjj but normal driving it doesnt really do anything unless you rev it
The turbo never stops spinning, not until you turn off the engine. The blow off valve is not controlled by a direct vacuum source, it is opened by a solenoid on the cold pipe. Therefore it only opens when the computer commands it to, so at part throttle (not flooring it) the ecu does not open the valve to keep boost built up.

#16 ·
Been checking a few times a week on updates through Forge and SXTH websites and Instagram to see if the DCT intercooler is released. I saw on Instagram SXTH had tested their intercooler for the DCT and they said it was in production, but still not available for purchase. I too will likely just buy whichever is released first!

#18 ·
From what I understand, there's no benefit to a BOV in an automatic. Turbo blowback only happens during manual shifting. You'd be better off investing in a dual catch can setup for helping with longevity and preventing power loss over time. Having said that... did u notice any difference in shifting? A BOV still has a satisfying sound if it vents to atmosphere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.