Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2020 PP without about 3500 miles. It's my first manual car so I'm still learning. Sometimes when I try engage first gear at a very slow speed the car bucks back and forth until I speed up or press the clutch back in. Is this just my crappy clutch control or something else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 2020 PP without about 3500 miles. It's my first manual car so I'm still learning. Sometimes when I try engage first gear at a very slow speed the car bucks back and forth until I speed up or press the clutch back in. Is this just my crappy clutch control or something else?
Now I am no expert like most of the other people on here when it comes to driving a manual but this is my second manual car, first one being a 1993 Honda civic, but it seems like you're about to stall your car based on your description. You say when you give it more gas it goes away or when you push the clutch back in, it also goes away. So from those two observations it would seem like you just need to give it a little more gas when you're releasing the clutch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now I am no expert like most of the other people on here when it comes to driving a manual but this is my second manual car, first one being a 1993 Honda civic, but it seems like you're about to stall your car based on your description. You say when you give it more gas it goes away or when you push the clutch back in, it also goes away. So from those two observations it would seem like you just need to give it a little more gas when you're releasing the clutch.
I was thinking this too Marshall229. It's possible the rev match would help a little but it does sound like you need more gas and balance the clutch a bit more at the biting point. Manuals are sensitive at low speeds so don't be afraid to use the clutch a bit more.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not sure about op. But Mine happens when like say I'm about to shift into second but say someone stops in front of me and I just push in clutch and slow down. that's when mine gets a little jerky. But it may just be me. I seem to remember having the problem in another manual I had

·
Registered
67 Posts
Weird. If you get a chance in an empty parking lot or something try that last sequence. Just after you press in the clutch all the way tap the gas a little to maintain the revs (aka manual rev hang). See if this resolves the jerk. I doubt at shifting rpm the engine is trying some anti-stall thing but it could. It's also odd that you get a jerkiness when the wheels are supposed to be disconnected from the engine. maybe there's a sticky clutch plate or something hanging on to the engine power. Don't worry about anything like that though. I'd suggest playing around with technique first.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is definitely a clutch issue. I randomly have a hard time shifting into second and third. And sixth very seldomly. I've noticed sitting in neutral with clutch out I can hear a faint bearing noise. Maybe throw out bearing. But if I press the clutch in while in neutral I can hear the noise slow down and stop. Now I'd i try to put in gear before i hear the noise stop i get resistance in every gear. But if i hold it for a second then put in gear it is smooth as silk. Noticed the same while driving. But I lose alot of rpms when I have to shift like that

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've read some people on here having trouble with sixth. Their solution was to be a little more meaningful the shift. It's a good idea to bring it up with the dealer again though.

I've noticed sitting in neutral with clutch out I can hear a faint bearing noise. Maybe throw out bearing. But if I press the clutch in while in neutral I can hear the noise slow down and stop. Now I'd i try to put in gear before i hear the noise stop i get resistance in every gear. But if i hold it for a second then put in gear it is smooth as silk. Noticed the same while driving. But I lose alot of rpms when I have to shift like that
Have a look through the forum for transmission noises. I think I've seen a few posts about it. If you're without luck, you can try making your own thread for this problem. I'm sure someone will have some experience with it, more than me anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just an FYI, the trick to smoothly shifting from 5th to 6th (and this applies to pretty much all 6 speed cars) is to turn your hand over so that your palm is on the left side of the shifter and your thumb is pointed down. This causes you to put a little rightward pressure on the knob as you're moving the lever rearward and basically ensures that you're hitting the 6th gear gate and nothing else. All other shifts your hand can be oriented normally, palm on top of the knob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weird. If you get a chance in an empty parking lot or something try that last sequence. Just after you press in the clutch all the way tap the gas a little to maintain the revs (aka manual rev hang). See if this resolves the jerk. I doubt at shifting rpm the engine is trying some anti-stall thing but it could. It's also odd that you get a jerkiness when the wheels are supposed to be disconnected from the engine. maybe there's a sticky clutch plate or something hanging on to the engine power. Don't worry about anything like that though. I'd suggest playing around with technique first.
You could also try pushing in the clutch a little slower. When going at relatively low speeds, especially in first gear just starting from a stop there's a lot of load on the transmission and drive train so when you slam the clutch in real quick and release all that load really fast it may cause the car to bob some.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts