Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Purely for sound purposes. It's the piston seal that is important. Our factory one just uses a rubber diaphragm. That design is not too reliable long term to hold boost efficiently. I have been seriously checking out recirc bov's for the VN. BTW-We have the same design recirc bov as the Kia Stinger TT.

If you like V-8's, I just got rid of an 1983 Trans Am I restored. I almost wish I kept it. Here's a pic:
The Stinger has 2 of them too!

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Thanks man! I loved that car. Wish I didn't sell it sometimes. But... It let me put 5K down on the N. I used to drive that one in the summer and the Ford Fusion in the winter. Now I'm going to get just a winter beater and store the N for 4 1/2 months. This is by far my favorite car I have owned. It impresses me every day... Plus, it's so much friggin' fun to drive!

I am so thinking about a new BOV. This will be my next mod. I want a recirc valve though. Darn, I wish Boomba made one. I'd buy it tomorrow....

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: Spartan.N

·
Registered
241 Posts
I will be taking the VN through the winter here. I only have a 1 mile commute, if you can call it that, to work. So for everything we can just use my wife's Dodge Journey.

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Wow, you are very lucky. The only money to be made here in MA is to work in or near Boston. My hometown there is nothing but low paying jobs. I wish my commute was 1 mile. You are so lucky. This is another reason I'm going to store her; that long commute. My buddy has an open bay in his garage so it's going there for the winters.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, you are very lucky. The only money to be made here in MA is to work in or near Boston. My hometown there is nothing but low paying jobs. I wish my commute was 1 mile. You are so lucky. This is another reason I'm going to store her; that long commute. My buddy has an open bay in his garage so it's going there for the winters.

Br,

-Mike
Couldn't agree less, Mike. Winter is the best season for a sports car, maximum fun. All that excellently engineered handling translates well through snow tires. If it was meant to be wintered it wouldn't have snow tire sizing in the manual.

This guy gets it:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/lamborghini-sports-car-luxury-edmonton-1.4975727

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
I'm not saying you can't use this car in winter; it's just a personal preference on my end. I'd rather get a POS for winter time.

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
I bet it would be a TON of fun in the snow with some proper tires!

I bet it would be too but I look at this car like an old muscle car stature and that's why I am not driving this in winter. For me this IS a very special car. I absolutely love it!!!! lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
With only a 1 mile commute to work I am debating putting snow tires on for the winter. The roads around me are usually plowed pretty well, and my wife's car will be the main winter driving car.

I'm just worried that the low temps might damage the summer tires?

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
It won't damage them but once it hits 35 to 40 degrees the tire compound hardens so it isn't good in the snow. I guess you won't know unless you try it. If it sucks, then buy some new winter sneakers. $hit, it's only a mile away. So lucky!!! lol....

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
With only a 1 mile commute to work I am debating putting snow tires on for the winter. The roads around me are usually plowed pretty well, and my wife's car will be the main winter driving car.

I'm just worried that the low temps might damage the summer tires?
It's not damage that's the issue, although if you slide into a curb you will definitely damage the wheels and probably the tire (if it's winter hard). My wife's Maxima is around the same weight as the Veloster N, and it becomes almost undrivable in the cold without winters. Roads are like marbles. You mentioned previously one of the reasons you got the car was for the 3rd door as you have a child... I would go for winters, even cheap ones will improve the handling tremendously.

But just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If I left the OEM tires on it would be a purely commuter car. I wouldn't ever risk putting anyone else, let alone my child, in the car when I was unsure the result.

It's more of a hassle thing than a money thing tbh. I mean yeah I'd rather not drop the money if I don't have to but its more that fact of having to change the tires/wheels...

We have my wife's car that has all seasons and does just fine in the winter and that would turn into the main transportation car.

I will probably go into the first part of the winter on the OEMs and see how bad it gets, if it's awful than I'll go get a set of winter tires and call it good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok Guys, I think I want a BOV. But looking for one without a "phssssssss" sound, but with more of a "whirly bird" sound. Don't want same sounding BOV as everybody on the road. Not on this car. Not all BOV's sound the same I'm finding out. Just will take off before I head to Dealer for anything for warranty. SShhh, we don't do that. Ha.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Keep on mind the Pirellis have a built in rim guard!

With all there are available for the VN and i30N, there isn't one that I know of, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Vape,

The whirly bird sound is turbo flutter and is bad for the turbo. You are better off with the other sound "pffsst". I am sure Boomba's fit the bill. If I didn't want the recirc. valve, I would have purchased one from Boomba. No doubt about it! Hope this helps?

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok Guys, I think I want a BOV. But looking for one without a "phssssssss" sound, but with more of a "whirly bird" sound. Don't want same sounding BOV as everybody on the road. Not on this car. Not all BOV's sound the same I'm finding out. Just will take off before I head to Dealer for anything for warranty. SShhh, we don't do that. Ha.
Ours (UN)installs very easily! Plus it has a pretty unique sound compared to an HKS!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to turbos. Any noticeable lag from a blow off valve compared to the stock that feeds air back into the engine. Sorry for my incompetence. 🙃 I hope that's a real thing I read.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts