Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HYUNDAI VELOSTER N BOV copy by Boomba Racing, on Flickr

These valves are finally ready to ship, after much anticipation!

-This is a direct replacement to the factory unit, and is proven to be leak free up to 100PSI!

-No aftermarket tuning required. Will work on stock tune or aftermarket tunes.

- This high performance VTA (vent to atmosphere) blow-off valve is precision machined out of aircraft grade billet aluminum. It features an internal brass piston design and is pressure tested to withstand up to 100psi, allowing it to compliment even the most aggressive turbo builds. Spring pre-load determines the pressure differential required across the piston before the BOV opens and releases the pressurized intake charge. Designed to be a replacement for the OEM bypass valve and is available in 4 different colors.

-Installation is simple and all mounting hardware is included

-We even our our N on the dyno recently!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh man! I really want one of these but, Hyundai sucks! I'll have to wait on a BOV until I'm willing to risk the warranty

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh man! I really want one of these but, Hyundai sucks! I'll have to wait on a BOV until I'm willing to risk the warranty
We are thinking the same way. I'm gonna hold off for now, but I didn't extend my warranty either. We will see what will wear out first my patience or my risk aversion... Then again I took the car up to 200km/hr the other day on the service highway(flat, paved and completely straight) after not seeing anyone for more than 30 min; so I am not all that risk averse, or patient.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys have a video of the install/uninstall? Would be nice to actually see someone do it so I can decide if it's worth the hassle every time I need to take it to the dealer for something.
Here it is! Keep in mind, that you can do it from the top also, its just a bit tighter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks! Definitely tempting, but I know you guys are working on lots of fun stuff! I'll have to wait and see what you guys got up your sleeve!

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Any chance you will also make a recirc valve? If so, I'd buy one in black. I'm old and not a fan of the noise. lol.... Is there any performance gain with it not venting back into the intake?

-M

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any chance you will also make a recirc valve? If so, I'd buy one in black. I'm old and not a fan of the noise. lol.... Is there any performance gain with it not venting back into the intake?

-M
Doesn't the car already have a recirculating system to put the air back into the system after the sensor? The BOV being sold here would, as an alternative, vent to atmosphere which makes the PSHHHHHH! I think you already have what you want installed in the car (quiet and recirculating). Correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert.

In terms of performance gains... I think not... at least not unless you had too much pressure going through the bypass because you fiddled with the turbo. If anything you may lose some performance because you would have PSHHHH'd rather than recirculated air during gear changes. But again, I am not an expert. I am sure there are others who will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

-M
Any performance gain would be from the build quality over stock, venting to atmosphere doesn't change anything on these cars.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
I know we already have that but a better made recirc bov with a better sealed design will hold boost more efficient and not leak. That means more power in the higher rpm ranges. Like I said, I'm just old and don't like all the noise. :)

Thank you for the response Boomba. I kind of figured that but I wanted to make sure.

Best regards,

-M

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know we already have that but a better made recirc bov with a better sealed design will hold boost more efficient and not leak. That means more power in the higher rpm ranges. Like I said, I'm just old and don't like all the noise. :)

Thank you for the response Boomba. I kind of figured that but I wanted to make sure.

Best regards,

-M
If there is enough demand, we certainly will consider it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is me not knowing much about turbo cars and BOVs and the such... but I'm gonna ask anyways.

Is it possible to make a BOV that can switch from VTA to ReCirc? So I can decide if I want the noise or not.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Yes, it called a hybrid. Alot of companies make them. But these need more adjustment. I'd consider one of these too if I don't have to adjust it. I could live with half being VTA and half going back into the intake tube. Hope this helped?

-M

·
Registered
180 Posts
Again I might be showing my ignorance, but I thought a hybrid bov always vented some pressure to atmosphere and some was recirculated, I didn't realize that you could switch between the two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again I might be showing my ignorance, but I thought a hybrid bov always vented some pressure to atmosphere and some was recirculated, I didn't realize that you could switch between the two.
You're both right. We offer an adjustable BPV (Hybrid) for the Focus ST. It's essentially a recirculating bypass valve, that has set screws on the side to allow for atmospheric venting. On the N it would be a bit different. If we wanted to do something like that, it would have to basically mimic the stock design, and to VTA, you would just remove the recirc tube.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there any performance gain to having VTA vs Recirc? Or are BOVs purely for the sound?

Again, my first turbo car, I am used to NA V8s :devil:

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Purely for sound purposes. It's the piston seal that is important. Our factory one just uses a rubber diaphragm. That design is not too reliable long term to hold boost efficiently. I have been seriously checking out recirc bov's for the VN. BTW-We have the same design recirc bov as the Kia Stinger TT.

If you like V-8's, I just got rid of an 1983 Trans Am I restored. I almost wish I kept it. Here's a pic:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts