Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran an autocross Sunday. People were excited that my headlights blink while I'm running. Anyone know what triggers that? I'm assuming it's just an N mode thing but I'd like to know for sure so I'm not accidentally blinking my lights when. I don't mean too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Interesting... mine definitely don't 'blink' no matter what mode unless I use my turn signals...

When the car is recorded on video there is a definite blinking strobe effect on the headlights caused by the way LED's function that is imperceptible to the eye without video tools. This can be verified with almost any cellphone. If I recall correctly its caused by the fact that LED's in cars strobe on and off rapidly to adjust their brightness, but it's only detectable at high framerates above the human eye's flicker fusion threshold (the phenomena by which your eyes adjust to intermittently flickering or modulating light sources so the eye doesn't strain and you see it as uninterupted light).

Either that or your headlights may be broken. (or mine are and they are supposed to blink in N mode!)

...you didn't press the triangle hazard lights button did you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably just what you said about strobing effect on video. I've never put any thought into how the LED lights work at all. Definitely comforting to know it's only visible on video. Makes the video look that much cooler too. Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
This will always be the case in video, as VelosterRaptor stated it has to do with the frequency of the LEDs. They are essentially only on ~50% of the time. Our eyes can't see the frequency at which they are switching but cameras can.

That's a super simple explanation, I'm sure you can find more info if you just google it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts