Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In post #10 here, RedVN lists out the brake/kits currently available:

Pagid RST1

Does anyone have any experience with Fella or EBC?

Here’s the Fella kit:

Fella 4-Piston Big Brake Kit - Various Applications
Price is $1300 shipped to the US, and description says it uses Mando calipers. The pad is from a 2015 Genesis V8 sedan.

Here’s the EBC kit for the i30N:
EBC 4 pot BBK Balanced Brake Kit - Hyundai i30N
I see them online for about £1350 without VAT ~ $1850.

Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on these kits - positive, negative, or otherwise. Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Fella provided me with this as a template after multiple emails:

It’s not exactly complete, and being as they are in Korea, communication isn’t the easiest. Nor might parts sourcing be, either.

Pricing on the Fella kit is enticing. 4-piston Mando caliper with 350x30mm rotor is good compared to what else is available. But the pad shape is not very common so it won’t be easy to find alternate pads. And the quality of the rotors is a complete unknown.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The EBC kit is a complete unknown in the US as far as I can tell. And I’m assuming that the i30N kit is a direct bolt-on, but that’s a big assumption. In any case, I don’t know if it can be had in the US for less than $2,000 or so which makes it less attractive compared to Forge or even the N Performance kit which apparently isn’t much more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The EBC kit is a complete unknown in the US as far as I can tell. And I’m assuming that the i30N kit is a direct bolt-on, but that’s a big assumption. In any case, I don’t know if it can be had in the US for less than $2,000 or so which makes it less attractive compared to Forge or even the N Performance kit which apparently isn’t much more.
So speaking from experience with EBC balanced brake kits: its a good brake setup. I had one on my Fiesta ST, unfortunately it only saw 3 track days before removal. That was no fault of the brakes, just traded in the car on something else. I liked the kit, its made very well and comes with stainless lines for the front and back, as well as pads for the rear that match the type of the front. They even included brake fluid with the kit. However the rotor rings can be expensive to replace when they wear out, but that seems to be the norm with any floating rotor design. The pads are a standard EBC size and are made by plenty of other makers (including GLoc), I had a set of R10s for track days. Daily driving was nice but they were touchy, and I mean that like if you as so much as thought about braking they were already applied lol. Wheel clearance on the Fiesta required a 20mm spacer for the stock wheels, I'd imagine it would be similar for the Veloster, maybe 10-15mm, but they should have that answer in regards to the i30N.

I can't speak about the Fella kit, but knowing its a Mando caliper leads me to believe it is decent quality.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So speaking from experience with EBC balanced brake kits: its a good brake setup. I had one on my Fiesta ST, unfortunately it only saw 3 track days before removal. That was no fault of the brakes, just traded in the car on something else. I liked the kit, its made very well and comes with stainless lines for the front and back, as well as pads for the rear that match the type of the front. They even included brake fluid with the kit. However the rotor rings can be expensive to replace when they wear out, but that seems to be the norm with any floating rotor design. The pads are a standard EBC size and are made by plenty of other makers (including GLoc), I had a set of R10s for track days. Daily driving was nice but they were touchy, and I mean that like if you as so much as thought about braking they were already applied lol. Wheel clearance on the Fiesta required a 20mm spacer for the stock wheels, I'd imagine it would be similar for the Veloster, maybe 10-15mm, but they should have that answer in regards to the i30N.

I can't speak about the Fella kit, but knowing its a Mando caliper leads me to believe it is decent quality.
Appreciate the real world experience on the EBC kit. I’ve emailed them to ask about the kit availability. We’ll see if they reply.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EBC emailed me back. Their big brake kit will apparently be out in about 4 weeks and cost will be roughly $2000. Unknown at this point whether it will fit behind stock wheels or require a spacer. I’ll update this thread if I hear back from them about it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the Fella kit, Porterfield has the pad shape and will make whatever compound you want on that shape.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fella’s USA distributor is Black Star: goblackstar.com

I spoke to a guy there who explained that they’ve had poor communication with Fella since COVID, and only sold a few kits, some of which the customers had issues with having to rebuild the calipers when swapping pads. He said it could have been a bad batch of calipers, but he just doesn’t know. He also said that he’s met the owner of the company and visited them in South Korea, but the brakes are definitely a step below something like Brembo and he would steer most people away from them at this point.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
121 Posts
Thanks for doing the legwork on this! I have no desire to track and confess that I want to swap to a BBK solely for aesthetic purposes.

Interested in the EBC option, especially since Ghost said good things about the Red Stuffs.

I think we also need to check on inner contact on the wheel barrels - not sure if you had that problem when you tried the Mandos but that could be an issue for 18" wheels. Looking forward to seeing what they come back with.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for doing the legwork on this! I have no desire to track and confess that I want to swap to a BBK solely for aesthetic purposes.

Interested in the EBC option, especially since Ghost said good things about the Red Stuffs.

I think we also need to check on inner contact on the wheel barrels - not sure if you had that problem when you tried the Mandos but that could be an issue for 18" wheels. Looking forward to seeing what they come back with.
BBKs do look cool; can’t blame you for wanting the looks!
The EBC kit does seem promising, but we’ll have to wait to see about the details and if it actually gets released on time.
As for inner barrel clearance, I’ve test fit 2 calipers (Mando and CTSV) and tried the Forge template and had no issues with any of them so far. In general, it appears that ~ 355mm rotors are about the limit for most 18” wheels absent something like Braid, Apex, or some other specialty wheel designed for BBKs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EBC will supposedly have a template available in about a week or so. Assuming it shows up, I’ll post it in this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts