Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Big Brake Kit Master List

22K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Mok_Racing 
#1 · (Edited)
Although the title may be overstating things a bit, the intent of this list is to summarize what I've learned so far in researching a BBK. For reference, my wheels are Enkei TSV and TS7 in 18x8+45.

First off, the stock front brakes:

340x30mm rotors (on Performance Pack cars in '19 and '20 and all '21+ cars)
Single piston sliding caliper of 60.6mm (2.386 in) diameter according to Genracer
2882.8 mm squared (4.47 inches squared) piston area
Stock pad shape: 140.5 x 61.3 mm with 58 mm pad depth: Racing Safety Equipment - Northstar Motorsports

Here’s a link to a Google Photos album of my stock front brakes from multiple angles:

Brake piston area calculators:
Bias Calculator
Piston Area Calculator | Total Brake Caliper Piston Area | BRAKE POWER

Now on to the manufacturers:

Alcon
Alcon Brake Kits
Contacted them twice and no response. Based on the content of their website I doubt they'd ever do anything for the VN outside of custom race car work which I believe they may have for Genracer.

AP Racing
AP Racing
These are sweet brakes! They don't offer anything for the VN at the moment. I called and asked them about development and they said they might be interested in using my car to develop a kit. Called back the next day and got a completely different response to the effect that it may or may not ever happen, but don't hold your breath.

Brembo
The gold (or is it red) standard! I didn't even bother researching this. I don't think a kit is available, and if it is I bet it's way more than you (I) can afford pal (bad F&F reference here).

CTS-V Calipers
I made a separate thread on this. TLDR, it didn't fit and needed a fairly huge (15mm+) spacer to fit my aftermarket wheels. I think the only way to make this work is with wider wheels that have a fairly extreme offset (like maybe around +30). I'm not willing to compromise on offset that much to make it work. In addition, I think that piston area is too great for the VN.

Ceika
CEIKA Custom Built Coilovers and Big brake Kits Since 2010
Don't know much about these. Headquarters in Hong Kong. To me, that doesn't matter because I know high quality brakes can be and are manufactured around the world. However, communication, shipping, and parts availability are concerns.

D2
Big Brake Kits – D2Racing
Don't know much about these either. Calipers look like they might be similar to the Forge units.

EBC
EBC Brakes Direct | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Brake Discs
This kit looks promising, though I fear a large spacer might be required. It's anticipated to be a 4-piston EBC Apollo caliper (unknown piston sizes) with floating rotors sized 355x32. I've emailed back and forth with them, and each time I get a response to the effect of "check back in another week and we should have a template for you." They've now said that twice. And even when they have a template, that doesn't mean the kits are in production. From what I can see, they are in the middle of rebranding their "Balanced Big Brake Kit" to just a "Big Brake Kit" where the former included rear pads and lines in addition to the front kit. Now, they're apparently just going to sell the front kit. Per their email, pricing will be "around $2k" so take that with a grain of salt. The reason I think a large spacer will be required is from checking out two templates they currently have available, one for the MQB VW platform and one for the 2nd gen Focus RS. Both templates use the Apollo caliper and 355x32 rotors. And both show a distance of 59mm between the face of the rotor and the face of the caliper. Contrast that with the Forge kit, which is 53mm for the same measurement. For reference, the Forge kit just barely, and I mean just barely, fits in my aftermarket wheels in terms of spoke clearance.

Fella
FELLA Brake | 펠라 브레이크 | Republic of Korea
This kit looks nice and has a nice price point of under $1500 for a 4-piston setup. They supposedly use Mando calipers, though I can't confirm that. After speaking with the lone US distributor, I was turned off. Parts availability is questionable.

Forge
356mm Front Brake Kit for the Hyundai I30N/ Veloster N
These are about $2,200 new from Forge and are 6-8 weeks for delivery last I checked with Forge. Piston sizes are 32, 36, and 38 which works out to 4.58 inches squared. That compares favorably with the stock of 4.47. A fitment template is available on the website. According to Forge the calipers and rotors are made in the UK. They sell replacement rotor rings on their website as well as caliper rebuild kits. I just don't know enough about the quality of the kit. This kit is tempting!

Mando
Also have a separate thread on this. TLDR, they didn't fit as advertised and would need at least a 5mm spacer even on my aftermarket wheels, and pad selection was very limited.

N Performance
If you plan ahead and buy the right wheels before buying this kit, it's the way to go. Factory engineered and made for the VN platform. I know at least one guy in IG has this setup, and I'm pretty sure it's just a phone call to Mr. Kim and a big wad of cash away from your doorstep. I believe the brakes are at least $2200+ in addition to the bespoke wheels. I bet this setup is every bit of $4,000+ between wheels and brakes, though that's just a guess.

Neo Tech
Big Brake Kits
Genracer turned me on to this company. Don’t know much about it, but it could turn out to be something good for the right use case.
@brzgw reports that piston volume is improperly sized for correct ABS operation.

Uodate from @brzgw: “So NeoTech system is only -4.89% piston area from the stock. Issue was separate from piston sizing. It was likely related to heat management.”

Wilwood
Wilwood doesn't sell a kit directly yet, but these two vendors do custom work, mainly with Wilwood products:
TCE Performance Products
WWW.Fastbrakes.com
I've spoken to both owners, and thought Fastbrakes seems to respond to emails pretty frequently, the responses are usually short and somewhat incomplete. I've spoken to both over the phone, and both seem to know their stuff. Based on their websites and responses they posted on forums over a decade ago, it seems like they have a lot of experience and history making custom brake kits. I posted a separate thread on this trying to see if I can get anyone to help share in the cost of getting a custom kit made. I think, at least at this point, Wilwood is the way to go. The calipers and rotors are made in California and readily available. Replacement parts are easy to source and pretty cheap. You can get a 2-piece 355x32mm rotor with good quality 6-piston caliper matched to almost perfect factory brake bias for about $2,000. You could also spend a bit less, or a bit more and get a better Wilwood caliper or rotor. The Wilwood website is full of technical details and schematics for every part they sell. And when you call, they actually pick up the phone and answer your question. And the brake pad shapes they use have pads available from nearly every manufacturer, and for decent prices, too.

Now some caveats. Please double check all my numbers before relying on them. I dropped out of the engineering program in college for a reason. Piston area is not the end all be all of brake bias. There is a lot more that goes into a big brake kit. And there are a lot of other things to consider when deciding on a big brake kit. If your goal is to look cool when driving on the street then go with whatever looks best to you. If you want a kit that will last for HPDE events day after day, it's going to cost more and likely require a wider caliper to fit that wider rotor.

I'm sure I missed a lot, but this should hopefully get things going.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, GenRacer switched from them for that reason. They even went down to the stock calipers for a little bit, until they got an AP Racing kit built for them only. That NeoTech kit is in the hands of a guy in Spain I think. He rebuilt and repainted it. He told me that in the wet, he did have a more aggressive ABS behavior.

#12 ·
EBC update as of 8-18-21:

They released the kit for the i30N.EBC Brakes Direct | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Brake Discs > Store

And here’s the template.https://ebcbrakes.com/wp-content/uploads//TPL019-355-BBK-HYUNDAI-I30N.PDF

I haven’t checked US pricing or availability. Template looks like it has a smaller footprint than the Wilwood custom kit, but you’d have to do some careful comparisons and measurements.

If the price is near $2k with floating rotors then it’s not bad, though it’s “only” a 4 piston caliper vs the Wilwood 6 piston. I don’t know what availability of replacement parts is like. Regardless, it’s worth investigating if you’ve read the thread this far.

#15 ·
So reading this thread, it basically looks like today the options are Forge or N-Performance? Assuming I've understood so far. I'm starting on research for an HPDE set up since this is the reason I'm getting the VN (price point is right for the power levels I want from factory). Wilwood would be a nice set up to have as well, but looks like that's not quite available off the shelf right now.

#16 ·
Correct, though I don’t know if the Forge kit is currently in stock in the US. When I originally called them they said they hadn’t sold a kit in the US yet. And for the N Performance kit you’d need to talk to Mr. Kim for availability. I’m assuming that EBC will bring over the i30N kit, but just speculating.

Depending on how busy Todd at TCE is and what Wilwood stock is like, you might be able to get a Wilwood kit in roughly the same timeframe as the other kits.

If your goal is HPDE then you probably already know that consumables and parts availability are important.

Hope you find what works well for you!

#27 ·
Hi all, I’m trying to find a good big brake kit for my Veloster n as I’ve already done like 13 track days this year and replacing the oem pads is getting frustratingly expensive with Hyundai. I did find the guys for the Wilwood kit but the customer service was atrocious and with duties to Canada it was going to be pretty expensive. I did find another brake supplier not found on this list, Tarox. They do an 8 pot big brake kit for $2950 for the veloster n and I was just wondering if anyone has tried this kit and what the experience is like? Thanks everyone!

#31 ·
please add our brembo GT & GT S kit