Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM brake fluid is SAE J1704 DOT4 LV. Many people seem to be going with a Motul RBF 600, however that fluid is DOT4 J1703, and the viscosity is not listed. Is this still the better choice for heavy street use?
It seems like the Veloster n may need low viscosity for its ABS to preform optimally, but honestly I'm not sure.
What other brake fluids are recommended?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I honestly had no issues with the OEM brake fluid for spirited canyon runs, heavy street use, and long road trips. I only flushed with and used Motul 600 for a track day. I don't know the price for OEM fluid (if it's overpriced, I could see upgrading) but if it ain't broke don't fix it has always worked for me. Just one point of view.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you were to follow the manual, this is what it calls for.

However, you don't have to run that fluid. The LV at the end stands for Low Viscosity and it's so that the traction control system can still work well and respond fast when ambient temps get freezing low. You can use just about any DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 in this car EXCEPT DOT 5. DOT 5 is silicone based so it's not recommended for use in this car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you were to follow the manual, this is what it calls for.

However, you don't have to run that fluid. The LV at the end stands for Low Viscosity and it's so that the traction control system can still work well and respond fast when ambient temps get freezing low. You can use just about any DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 in this car EXCEPT DOT 5. DOT 5 is silicone based so it's not recommended for use in this car.
Thanks for your input! I definitely wanted to go with a better fluid than Pentosin. I'm not sure about their brake fluid, but I've heard awful things about their engine oil, and Motul is just a more reputable brand in my opinion. My main concern was definitely with the viscosity. I understood oem was low viscosity, I just didn't know if it was necessary for me, especially living in California where it rarely gets to freezing temps. I drive my car really hard almost every day so I just wanted the best for my brakes, especially after upgrading rotors and pads.

You and IKR may be right that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think I'll make the switch to some Motul RBF 660 for now until I see any issues arise. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, just found out that if you service your Veloster N at a Hyundai dealership, they don't even use DOT4 LV when servicing the Veloster N. They just use generic Hyundai DOT4. So I guess its a bit of a trade off. I can either get a race brake fluid like Motul RBF 600 that has a higher boiling point to work better with harsh back road braking, or I can get a LV brake fluid that will optimally perform with the ABS, but not both. Love when my questions leave me with more questions haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OEM brake fluid is SAE J1704 DOT4 LV. Many people seem to be going with a Motul RBF 600, however that fluid is DOT4 J1703, and the viscosity is not listed. Is this still the better choice for heavy street use?
It seems like the Veloster n may need low viscosity for its ABS to preform optimally, but honestly I'm not sure.
What other brake fluids are recommended?
Amateurs do not have the knowledge of experienced engineers. Don't do what you have knowledge of.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for your input! I definitely wanted to go with a better fluid than Pentosin. I'm not sure about their brake fluid, but I've heard awful things about their engine oil, and Motul is just a more reputable brand in my opinion. My main concern was definitely with the viscosity. I understood oem was low viscosity, I just didn't know if it was necessary for me, especially living in California where it rarely gets to freezing temps. I drive my car really hard almost every day so I just wanted the best for my brakes, especially after upgrading rotors and pads.

You and IKR may be right that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think I'll make the switch to some Motul RBF 660 for now until I see any issues arise. Thanks again!!
More info and maybe added angst in selecting your fluid of choice:
Brake Fluids Review & Analysis • Buildjournal (thebuildjournal.com)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts