Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been lurking in this forum since 2019, had the 2019 rspec which I loved but after driving the VN I could see that I'd spend way too much money trying to get that thing near the stock VN pp performance hahaha. I ended up snaging a used 2020 VN pp in Performance Blue before it even hit the lot from Capitol Hyundai! I was wondering what any bay area VN owners are using for the cold wet weather months here, the stock pirelli tires are awesome in the summer but I noticed how sketchy they feel in the rain or even nearing 40 degrees. I liked the michelin PS4 that were on the rspec and bought another set of ps4s that lasted me through 55k when I traded it in but still wanting something better in the rain. Been looking at the new michelin as4 on the stock rims but any of you have feedback on other tires? I want to keep pushing this thing through rain and shine hahaha, any other experience from other states that have the same winter conditions are also very much welcomed!

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
154 Posts
I'm on Continental ExtremeContactSports but I'm in SoCal so probably not a good choice for you. Check out the Conti ExtremeContacts DWS for the A/S version.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
You're already looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, and if I was actually worried about frequent rain and/or occasional snow, that's what I'd be looking at. I have the PS4S on 18s on mine, but rain is a rare godsend on my side of the Bay Area (Richmond) and snow is nowhere to be seen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the central valley. I just got the Michelin a/s 4's installed last week. Still in the process of breaking them in and I've already driven in 40° cold and a heavy rain. They feel great but the real test is with spirited driving. I hate the break-in period :cautious:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the central valley. I just got the Michelin a/s 4's installed last week. Still in the process of breaking them in and I've already driven in 40° cold and a heavy rain. They feel great but the real test is with spirited driving. I hate the break-in period :cautious:
To be honest, I never did break in on any tires I've had hahaha, but how did the as 4 feel compared to the stock perillis in the rain? I drove the perillis in the rain today and as long as I wasn't flogging it like I did in the summer they weren't that bad but still had times of sudden loss of grip under braking and mediumish accel, also I'm thinking I need to adjust the camber because the outside is getting near bald, got the car at 10k miles and now have 11.5k, the previous owner had already done some good wear on the outside and my driving has only made it worse XD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also just any semi aggressive acceleration from a stop light and I can't get traction in 1st or 2nd, looking to make that a little better, maybe I have a lead foot hahaha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm on Continental ExtremeContactSports but I'm in SoCal so probably not a good choice for you. Check out the Conti ExtremeContacts DWS for the A/S version.
I was looking at those too, you know anyone running those dws? I'm looking to hopefully do a track day or autocross before June, by then I'm hoping to get some 18x8.5 and putting the re71r on them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
To be honest, I never did break in on any tires I've had hahaha, but how did the as 4 feel compared to the stock perillis in the rain? I drove the perillis in the rain today and as long as I wasn't flogging it like I did in the summer they weren't that bad but still had times of sudden loss of grip under braking and mediumish accel, also I'm thinking I need to adjust the camber because the outside is getting near bald, got the car at 10k miles and now have 11.5k, the previous owner had already done some good wear on the outside and my driving has only made it worse XD
I haven't driven the Pirellis in the rain. Yesterday was the first rain we've had in nearly a year. But with 100 miles on the A/S 4's they felt very confidence inspiring, but like I said I wasn't flogging it around. I've also had Michelin A/S 3+ tires on my Sentra SE-R and I LOVED those tires. So I'm assuming the 4's are going to be just as good or better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts