Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the few who installed these Audi RS3 brake ducts on their VN, did you guys cut and grind the bracket that the stock brake duct bolts on to? It appears to fit, but when my car is lifted off the ground, positioning the RS3 brake duct a makes it so that the lower sway bar end link is touching it at full droop. I used a jack to lift the suspension a bit and it clears under load. But I'm worried about the sway bar end link damaging the RS3 brake duct in the event that the front suspension uses all available up and down travel.

Stock:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Bracket:

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle brake

How'd you guys install yours and is it doing just fine with spirited driving?

Edit: So above was my original inquiry. Didn't think this would turn in to a How-To guide, here I am.

Comparison between the stock and RS3 ducts. The RS3 has a more pronounced funnel which directs air in to the wheel. The external brake duct on the bumper forces air through the little opening, turns it in to high pressure air, and in effect, creates a vacuum that sucks away air stuck in the wheel well. That's the theory anyway. High end sportscars have a form of bumper brake cooling ducts. 911s and the R34 GTR to name a few. If it works for them, it'll work for the VN. The stock duct is considerably smaller than the RS3 duct. The angle of the photo doesn't make it apparent.

Tire Wheel Car Floor Flooring

The Audi RS3 brake ducts would fit perfect on the i30N because that car doesn't have the brake duct that the VN has. So a modification has to be made to fit the RS3 on the VN front control arm. Thankfully, it's easy. You just need to cut the middle bracket, since it rests would rest on the VN bracket. Removing it would allow you to have the RS3 duct to lay flush on the control arm. Pictured below:

Wheel Tire Air gun Trigger Wood

Finished product. You obviously need to do this for both sides.

Hood Wheel Asphalt Automotive design Automotive tire

And then you just place it on the control arm. The remaining brackets set it in place. The inboard end bracket does go in to the hole in the control arm. Make some adjustments, and them zip tie it in place.

When lifted, the swaybar and endlinks are unloaded so it looks like it'll hit the bracket. But fear not. Upon placing load, like getting the car on the ground, or using a jack to compress the suspension, there's actually quite generous clearance.

Unloaded, full droop:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

What I think to be standard load:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle

Full compression:

Automotive tire Bumper Machine tool Gas Automotive design

So there's plenty of clearance between the swaybar end links and the RS3 brake duct. Unless you're taking the VN off of some sweet jumps or lifting it with extreme speed and force, I don't think there will be much issue in the real world. But I'll wait until the next track day to confirm or deny the clearance and effectiveness of these brake ducts.

I hope you guys find this useful.

Registered
You did a good job. There is only a couple ways to mount them and this ^ is one of them. I have them mounted in a similar fashion and they work well. If you look at the top of the control arm there are two holes. You can drill the plastic duct and use bolts/washers and locknuts to hold them in place.馃憤馃嚭馃嚫

I鈥檓 waiting for Yames designs to finalize his tube ducts but he鈥檚 in a redesign phase at the moment.馃憤馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did a good job. There is only a couple ways to mount them and this ^ is one of them. I have them mounted in a similar fashion and they work well. If you look at the top of the control arm there are two holes. You can drill the plastic duct and use bolts/washers and locknuts to hold them in place.馃憤馃嚭馃嚫

I鈥檓 waiting for Yames designs to finalize his tube ducts but he鈥檚 in a redesign phase at the moment.馃憤馃嚭馃嚫
Ah I didn't think of that. The 3 huge zip ties hold it in place quite well. And the vendor I bough these from sent me 2 sets for some reason. I may try to experiment for the back brakes, though on a front heavy car, I'm not sure it's a necessity.

Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
I installed these on my car. No issues so far. I haven't done any comparisons yet. I need to replace the temp sticker on my calipers with new ones to see if it reduces the temps significantly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts