Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the springs on for ~2 weeks now, 800 miles, and two autocross events. These are my initial thoughts and I will be posting a more thorough video review soon.

I've owned 22 cars in my life and of those I have lowered around (or purchased them lowered) 15 of them. In all of that time I have never had lowering springs actually improve the ride of the vehicle, yeah it improved handling and lowered the CoG, but never improved the ride. This is the first car I've lowered that doing aftermarket lowering springs not only improved the capabilities of the car but also improved the ride. It's almost as if the spring rate of the ARK GT-S springs are better matched to the dampers than the OEM springs.

Ride:
Before I found the car to be very bouncy with the dampers in sport+, they were manageable around town in sport, and the only way I drove on the highway was with the dampers in normal. Now I find myself riding in sport all the time, the car is much more controlled and is not bouncy at all. The car also feels much more hunkered down at highway speed and requires very little input to keep it going the direction you want.

On the OEM springs on rough surfaces during autocross or a rough track I would never put the dampers in sport+ because the bounciness of the sport+ setting would upset the chassis on the rougher stuff, I no longer experience this as much in sport+. The car is still bouncy in sport+ but not nearly as dramatic as before, I will continue to do events in sport.

Handling:
To be fair in this review, when I added the springs I also increased my 22mm rear bar to it's tightest setting and increased camber to -2.4f/-2.2 rear while also bringing in toe by .2. With all that in mind, the car is so much more responsive at turn-in and mid corner making it possible to really throw the car into the corner, get it pointed, and hit the throttle. Body roll is almost non-existent and the car is totally composed through everything I throw at it. It really has made the car much more enjoyable to drive at the limit.

In-car video before springs:

In-car video with springs:

Gallery of before and after shots:
Before and After ARK Performance GT-S Springs

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Great review! Geez, now something else to think about. Lol.... Throwing money at this car NEVER stops.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: GetQuirky

·
Registered
113 Posts
You spoke about sport and sport+ but what about just normal ride setting. My N custom settings is everything in sport+ except suspension and steering feel both in normal. Doesn’t seem like a whole lot of people are running lowering springs yet. Not a lot of reviews out there for the different brands. No doubt because they are lowering springs and all the negative connotations that comes with them. Also if something were to happen to the suspension, the dealership would blame the springs and not cover it. These springs are $100 more then the other brands and they might be worth it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You spoke about sport and sport+ but what about just normal ride setting. My N custom settings is everything in sport+ except suspension and steering feel both in normal. Doesn’t seem like a whole lot of people are running lowering springs yet. Not a lot of reviews out there for the different brands. No doubt because they are lowering springs and all the negative connotations that comes with them. Also if something were to happen to the suspension, the dealership would blame the springs and not cover it. These springs are $100 more then the other brands and they might be worth it.
The car rides just fine in normal, I typically drive around in custom with the dampers set to sport and only go to normal when on the highway. Even my wife mentioned that car felt like it rode smoother, the springs really are just better matched to the dampers.

The magnuson-moss act grants me some protections, the onus is on the manufacturer and dealer to prove that what I've done to the vehicle actually caused the issue. I'm not too worried about it as this car will never see the dealer anyway.

I've had Eibach and H&R springs on different vehicles in the past, H&R is typically the lowest drop and eibach is not as aggressive but has a better ride quality than H&R. This is the first time I've installed ARK springs and I am absolutely thrilled with them! It's got the perfect amount of drop, it didn't mess with the rake of the car, and it honestly improved the ride and drive-ability of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I’m looking at the pictures in that imgur and the before pictures where you have the measuring tape up to the side of the car. Your car stock sits lower then mine stock? My front distance from ground to the center of the fender above the wheel is 26”. The rear of my car is 26.5”. The front of your car looks like 25.5” in the before picture. How is this possible?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I’m looking at the pictures in that imgur and the before pictures where you have the measuring tape up to the side of the car. Your car stock sits lower then mine stock? My front distance from ground to the center of the fender above the wheel is 26”. The rear of my car is 26.5”. The front of your car looks like 25.5” in the before picture. How is this possible?
Not sure, but that's very interesting! How many miles do you have on your car? I'm at 15k with a lot of autocross and HPDE weekends on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just curious how the springs and struts are holding up. ive owned many lowered cars. i'm worried my inner fender wells gonna get tore up if/when the struts start going bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting a set of these springs and I can't find a torque spec sheet anywhere. does anyone know what the torque specs are on the bolts or at least where to find them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts