Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggest, I just the splitter in several days ago and started installing it onto my car. Everything is more or less easy until I got to the part where I have to install the bolts/nuts for the rear support. But there's practically no place for me to put these fasteners.

For those who diy their splitters, where did you secure the rear end of the splitter?

FYI, the splitter is about half to 3/5th the size oem skid cover, so it doesn't reach all the way back to the oem bolt holes. Which I think they should have done. Right now the splitter is being held up by 4 center holes with spacers, and 3 on each side. Need to secure the rear end and I'm in the process of installing the support rods. Instructions are fairly unclear as to where I would need to secure the rear, other than "find it". They don't even go into detail about install the rods as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this splitter installed on my car and I love the way it looks. But I’ve been wondering this myself because I do want to go back to the track with the car, but I don’t wanna lose my bumper.

Would love to know if you get an update!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was looking to do a V1 front splitter because it comes with red trim. On their website it says professional install recommended. They have 0 instructions on the install. I’d definitely like to know how to install the rods and fasten the back of the splitter. Didn’t think I would run into that problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering about these and inquired to the manufacture regarding if once installed the undercover remains in place, and from their response it does. Then a friend who's has a lot of experience with aero said don't waste money as it doesn't appear to be all that functional to provide adequate downforce. Lucky for me he also makes all his own aero goodies for his race and track day cars and will hook me up this spring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering about these and inquired to the manufacture regarding if once installed the undercover remains in place, and from their response it does. Then a friend who's has a lot of experience with aero said don't waste money as it doesn't appear to be all that functional to provide adequate downforce. Lucky for me he also makes all his own aero goodies for his race and track day cars and will hook me up this spring.
It's mostly more looks imo. But I think it juts out far enough to have some down force. Not anything close to a properly designed track use aero, but I don't expect as such either given the price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I drilled holes and put those bolts through the original under tray. I used the picture in the instructions to find a good place, then just found some where that I could reach with a wrench. You have to do it with the splitter on the car, so I suggest using a piece of wood on the back side to make sure you don't go to far. I had to do it on jack stands and can tell you that if you go that route you have to use the 3rd setting on the stands for it to be high enough to get a drill below it.
As for its performance, I haven't gotten to take it out for a spirited drive yet due to my poor tires, but I can say it absolutely has added drag to the car and dropped the average MPG per tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks good.(y) What about removing the bumper fascia to install it?🤔
It wasn't that bad, 6 bolts and a handful of button clips, then just carefully pop all the mounting clips loose. I would suggest getting the sides loose and then putting painters tape along the edge of the headlights to avoid any scratches. The headlight itself has a couple clips on it, and they can easily get ahold of it when you are pulling on the other side. Luckily I seen this issue in a YT video before I started and was able to avoid any scratches. The hardest part for me was getting it lined up to the bumper to mark the holes. I was afraid to just set it on top of the bumper thinking it may have broke. And of course the 2 bolts OP mentioned were difficult to get to.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It wasn't that bad, 6 bolts and a handful of button clips, then just carefully pop all the mounting clips loose. I would suggest getting the sides loose and then putting painters tape along the edge of the headlights to avoid any scratches. The headlight itself has a couple clips on it, and they can easily get ahold of it when you are pulling on the other side. Luckily I seen this issue in a YT video before I started and was able to avoid any scratches. The hardest part for me was getting it lined up to the bumper to mark the holes. I was afraid to just set it on top of the bumper thinking it may have broke. And of course the 2 bolts OP mentioned were difficult to get to.
So you took off the fascia? Gotcha, Now I see why you left it on. Any photos from either of you from below?

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
I just installed mine last night. I took off the front end and undertray. I guess you could do it by leaving the whole assembly on but that seems like it would be really hard because you have to drill holes into the bumper using the APR splitter as your guide.

I think taking off the front end is the easiest thing to do. What I did wrong was disconnect undertray from car and then after i drilled all the holes and had it ready to re isntall on the car I noticed the APR splitter doesnt extend far enough back and there are 2 more holes you have to drill into the splitter.

I took all bolts off and then remounted undertray to splitter, remounted front end w splitter to the car.

Easy job with 2 people. One would still be easy but a lot more time consuming.

The instructions never say or show needing the undertray. You do need it. Could of saved myself about 45 minutes.

-JE

·
Registered
587 Posts
Totally agree - marking up the holes from splitter to bumper to drill was hardest part. You have to compress on end inwards to get the splitter to sit just right and then you need something to clamp that end while you do the other one.

-JE

·
Registered
587 Posts
Might I suggest, the use of heavy velcro tape in sections when mounting the spoiler in future. It will hold the spoiler in place, so the hole can be drilled if the bumper fascia is left in place, especially when performing the task alone. When your done just remove the velcro tape sections and bolt it up solid.
So SMART!!!!! Didnt even think of that! 🤛 🤝 (y) 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
21 Posts
So you took off the fascia? Gotcha, Now I see why you left it on. Any photos from either of you from below?
This is the best picture I could get without jacking it up. If you look closely you can see the 2 bolts that have been talked about. Sorry it's such a poor picture, it is raining and I had to get it at the bottom of my driveway in order to get underneath it.

Also, the velcro is a great idea, definitely suggest that to anyone else putting one on. I ended up setting the splitter on a set of ramps, then laying the bumper in place, clamped it down and made my marks on painters tape I had placed from the bottom up. And as mentioned above, the instructions could be more clear about the original under tray, but I would for sure leave it on during the install. There are 2 bolts in it that are covered after the splitter is put on, and seeing as how the splitter is bolted to it I would want all the support it could offer. The 2 bolts I am talking about are close to the front of it on both sides right before the button clips start.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is the best picture I could get without jacking it up. If you look closely you can see the 2 bolts that have been talked about. Sorry it's such a poor picture, it is raining and I had to get it at the bottom of my driveway in order to get underneath it.

Also, the velcro is a great idea, definitely suggest that to anyone else putting one on. I ended up setting the splitter on a set of ramps, then laying the bumper in place, clamped it down and made my marks on painters tape I had placed from the bottom up. And as mentioned above, the instructions could be more clear about the original under tray, but I would for sure leave it on during the install. There are 2 bolts in it that are covered after the splitter is put on, and seeing as how the splitter is bolted to it I would want all the support it could offer. The 2 bolts I am talking about are close to the front of it on both sides right before the button clips start.
View attachment 4656
@RedVN Here is a picture from under but not from my car. I cant get under my car for a pic. All four of my jackstands are under my truck as of now.

Im still not exactly sure what would of been the best way to mount splitter. Whether on bumper first and then bolt to undertray or take it all off and re assemble. All I do know is we did it wrong and it took us way too long!!!

-JE

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
@RedVN Here is a picture from under but not from my car. I cant get under my car for a pic. All four of my jackstands are under my truck as of now.

View attachment 4657

I'm still not exactly sure what would of been the best way to mount splitter. Whether on bumper first and then bolt to undertray or take it all off and re assemble. All I do know is we did it wrong and it took us way too long!!!

-JE
I don't want you to do the underside, unless you have a mind to. Personally, I'd rather see both sides and the front to see how it flows with the cars lines. I'm grateful for the photos from underneath though. Gives me a good idea how it actually fits.

No, both of you did it the way you were able to and were successful in the process. You adapted and overcame, any issues and did it. You learned in the process by not allowing doubt or fear to limit your capacity in overcoming the situation. That's courage, no matter how small or large.;)(y)

The only man who never makes a mistake , is the man who never does anything.
Theodore Roosevelt

View attachment 4656
I'm grateful for the effort, photos and explanations from both of you. I thank you both for taking the time out of your busy day to help others as well as myself.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't want you to do the underside, unless you have a mind to. Personally, I'd rather see both sides and the front to see how it flows with the cars lines. I'm grateful for the photos from underneath though. Gives me a good idea how it actually fits.

No, both of you did it the way you were able to and were successful in the process. You adapted and overcame, any issues and did it. You learned in the process by not allowing doubt or fear to limit your capacity in overcoming the situation. That's courage, no matter how small or large.;)(y)

The only man who never makes a mistake , is the man who never does anything.
Theodore Roosevelt
I'm grateful for the effort, photos and explanations from both of you. I thank you both for taking the time out of your busy day to help others as well as myself.
Love that quote by Roosevelt - never heard that one. Sorry for misunderstanding on photos. I thought you wanted to see under the car and how it was mounted to undertray. Ill get the other photos to you when it stops raining and I get it out of garage in a few days.

-JE

1 - 20 of 33 Posts