Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently did a 2k mile road trip in my new VN and I have to say after about 10 hours on the expressway the road noise starts to get to me. I have been thinking of putting Dynamat (actually a knockoff as its too expensive) in the spare tire wheel well and under the back seat as both those areas are easy to get to.
Wondering if anyone has done this and what levels of success they had as well as if you have any suggestions for other areas that might not be too hard to access but have a high level of return for dampening sound.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
419 Posts
I am thinking you might want to also do the front and maybe the doors too. That is a lot of work. On my Genesis I installed an insulated hood liner after Rodan crapped right on top of my turbo. That took some careful work with my buffer and compound, but it came-out flawless. That liner keeps my hood cool and also reduces engine noise a bit. People with the coupes lined their floors, trunk and doors with pretty good success. As you say, do the easier parts to see how it works out and then perhaps tackle other parts of the car. Please keep us informed of your impressions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After my daughter and I took the car on a 4 hour trip to Oklahoma I definitely started thinking about Dynamat. I had friends that raved about using it to make the cabin of their cars a lot quieter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did that on my 2019 R-Spec and then in my 2020 N. I didn’t have access to my calibrated microphone to test it, but it did help a bit with the noise coming from the rear (especially if you have a an exhaust with a drone to it). However, I think it would need material on the front foot wells and in the doors to help, along with (much) quieter tires. The road noise in the N is SO much worse than my R-Spec with Michelin PS 4 tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts

This is from the R-Spec and it goes under the backseat. I didn’t go this far on the N and I haven’t pulled apart the passenger compartment yet to treat the remaining floor space that doesn’t already have treatment (I suspect there’s some there already).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for their responses. I think I’ll give the trunk and under 2nd row seat a try and if there is any appreciable difference I’ll investigate more complicated areas like the doors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts